First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I understand execution, but I can see why one might think it's wrong because one's guilt is not always 100 percent confirmed. As a result, a suspect is sometimes wrongfully convicted and put to death for something they didn't do, and it is later found out that the person the state executed was innocent.

I have more sympathy for serial killers than I do for common thugs. Has anyone ever seen the movie May? That's about a killer you can sympathize with.

As for common thugs, though, I think a cop should have a right to shoot anyone who tries to run away for them, because that indicates they are guilty of something, or else they wouldn't have a need to run.

I think there should be more cops like Vic Mackey.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

One's ultimate concept of the justice system (generally, either "punishment" or "rehabilitation") usually contributes a great deal to whether one believes in incarceration or execution.
    My 'ultimate concept' of the justice system includes both. The only preference depends upon the crime that was committed.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I understand execution, but I can see why one might think it's wrong because one's guilt is not always 100 percent confirmed. As a result, a suspect is sometimes wrongfully convicted and put to death for something they didn't do, and it is later found out that the person the state executed was innocent.
    Another notable issue is the apparent racial bias in sentences involving executions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU
    My 'ultimate concept' of the justice system includes both. The only preference depends upon the crime that was committed.
    Personally? "Word!"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

I think it's easy to have sympathy for people who commit horrific crimes and obviously have a mental health problems.

I feel sympathy for the teenager down the street that stole my neighbor's car and is locked up from 15-18. Or the kid in the ghetto who gets caught with weed, have drug charges piled against them and can't get financial aid to go to college, whereas the kid from the suburbs gets a slap on the wrist and community service. This is when my sympathy kicks in. These situations happen far more frequently than the extreme ones that have been given.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Personally? "Word!"
    It's possible that ones' ultimate concept of justice can include both. The only preference being upon the crime that was committed.
    (I hope that was better !!)
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Would it be considered sympathy for me to wish them shot once in the head instead of various medieval torturous deaths with spectators?

If so then consider me sympathetic.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Am I alone?
    Certainly not.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Would it be considered sympathy for me to wish them shot once in the head instead of various medieval torturous deaths with spectators?
    Yay, yay, what a Xanderific answer!!!

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Bad assumption. In some people, malice is simply intrinsic. That can be observed by a layman, though better explained by experts.

It's quite possible to love the sinner as you fit him with a noose.
    I'm not sure that I'm convinced by one woman's set of articles, as I'm quite sure she has her biases, but I'll go with it.

Malice and violence may be intrinsic in a minority consisting of probably mentally ill people, but I think there's a lot of evidence to suggest (and I speak from an observer's standpoint in the public schools) that it is learned, not intrinsic.

And I don't really want to debate the death penalty, but I do agree that it's possible to love the sinner while giving him necessary consequences for his actions, whatever they may be. I do believe that you have to protect society from people who do horrible things.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post

If so then consider me sympathetic.
    Some situations this would apply more than others. When Uday and Qusay were shot, it did seem like they got off pretty easy based on the torture they inflicted all their lives.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)