MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Default INFPs getting lost in RPG's

Hey Guys!

I've found that I don't really enjoy video games, except for RPG's, which I enjoy immensely for a few weeks to a few months at a time. Have any other INFP (or other types, for that matter) found this to be the case?

Would anyone know why this is the case? Does it provide some sort of a sense of accomplishment? Does it appeal to our search for identity, investing one's self in the character?

All the good parts of reality minus the bad parts. First off, you aren't "in the moment" like you are in real life. You aren't consistently nagged to pay attention to real time.
    Then there's the "video game safety net." As in any video game, your actions will not result in any harm to your physical body or cause pain, although they will harm your character, so you may behave less fettered than in reality.

That said, you are more invested in your goals because the game is designed to be stimulating, unlike reality. To achieve long-term goals, you no longer have to commit to long, grating, mundane tasks with no chroma or certainty of gratification at the end.

Platformer video games involve the need for some dexterity on part of the player, but RPGs remove this factor.

LadyLazarus

I think RPG's indulge their Ne by allowing them to get as close to traversing into a fantasy world as is physically possible within regards to today's technology.

I believe it might also be a Fi thing(depending on the video game) with the story being all about you,and seeing yourself as the hero who fights for what they believe in,which I feel is a concept Fi doms tend to/may find very attractive.

I also enjoy RPG's,mostly for the story,I can't say I get sucked in like you described though,I either play for 10 hours straight or don't touch the game for a month.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Considering the title, it'd be great to hear actual INFP opinions.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis B View Post
    Hey Guys!

I've found that I don't really enjoy video games, except for RPG's, which I enjoy immensely for a few weeks to a few months at a time. Have any other INFP (or other types, for that matter) found this to be the case?

Would anyone know why this is the case? Does it provide some sort of a sense of accomplishment? Does it appeal to our search for identity, investing one's self in the character?

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Considering the title, it'd be great to hear actual INFP opinions.
    Character creation can be fun. I like the idea of becoming a symbol and then demonstrating how that symbol interacts with the world, as it would in real life.

Tabletop RPGs offer a far more expansive opportunity for you to see the consequences of your actions; they're not tied down by quasi-linear story-arcs or limited game engines.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx
    Socionics
    EII

I'm an INFJ, but RPGs are one of my favorite things in the world. I have dreams about them if I'm in the middle of one at the time.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/3580e39fd...a1epo1_250.jpg
    cigarette-stained smile all covered in sin

INFJ Ni, Fe / IEI / 4w5

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I like RPGs a lot, both tabletop and online. The online ones I find a bit more constrained over time, but still they tend to be my favorite kind of computer/console game. I like the sense of progress, and development of character, and interactions with a party or team (if that's positive, which is all too rare except amongst friends/acquaintances).

I also like some other kinds of games (twitch games where I can lose myself in the moment and react are also good). I tend to get impatient with games that require lots of fiddly planning and consistent micromanagement over time (since I'm a computer programmer, I exhaust that part of my brain at work).

I do like tabletop RPGs, where my (inconsistently operative) silver tongue can kick in, or Ne can suggest a wild alternative solution. There's nothing quite like watching the other players be dumbstruck over one's rule-changing maneuver.

Addendum, in fantasy games I tend to like: mages, priests, druids, and sometimes rogues. The mage, the healer, and walking unseen apparently appeal to me.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The title of the thread caught my attention because my boyfriend (INFP) is exactly the same way. He gets attached to a 'series' and loves the character creation, crafting, systems, role-play, etc. It's pretty much the only kind I ever see him play - and he plays a LOT.

It's also curious how his characters are always so colorful and unusual, and for some reason, he always tends to prefer the mages, the magical characters. While I love the RPGs too, I tend to always make mine female, blonde, and well, kind of like me, but much much better and then tend towards two-handed weaponry and in your face fighting.

I told him I do it because to me, THAT me, IS a fantasy.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

@Ginkgo @Seymour I wish I got myself a tabletop. And people to play one with, although I could just sneak into a store where they sell them early in the morning and demand to join the first group that comes in to play one.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    @Ginkgo @Seymour I wish I got myself a tabletop. And people to play one with, although I could just sneak into a store where they sell them early in the morning and demand to join the first group that comes in to play one.
    I'm an older guy (45), but I found my current gaming group from a listing at local gaming store about 15 years ago. It's now a splinter of a splinter of the original group, but still I'm grateful for it. I like the creativity involved, and also the expanded social circle (however geeky). Most of the other players are involved in a local theatre group, which I think adds a bit to their role playing.

I've felt a little over-socially-enabled (ironically) for some gaming groups, so your mileage my vary as an INFP. On a related note, my partner works for Google, and I've been to some social events at his workplace. Compared to many of his coworkers, I feel like James Bond by comparison. For example, I can start, maintain, and end a conversation with minimal awkwardness. Some of his Google coworkers should aspire to so much. I say all this as someone who is very self-conscious and shy, and who doesn't consider himself to be the most socially adroit.

So, all that is to say if you have geeky interests as an INFP, but are emotionally tuned in and socially aware, it may take a few attempts before you find a congenial group of folks. So don't go too hard on yourself it it takes a few attempts.