User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default INFJs being refered to as illogical

Hi

One thing that has always baffled me is how the introverted intuition primary function of INFJs is often refered to as magical or illogical.
    In the sense that we, INFJs, come to our conclusions and sometimes witty insights through an irrational process.
    I used to excel in logic back in high school ! (mathematical logic : true / false questionnaires etc.) !

Introverted intuition is often explained as an inner realm of "possibilities" that constantly change depending on context. I think that it's more a matter of "probability" rather than "possibility".
    It's like internally I'm constantly making assumptions, based on exterior information, but also based on the likeliness that the assumption is correct. Like having an internal statistical gradesystem which is constantly rooting out the lower, less valuable assumptions and meanwhile creating new scenario's or connections between remaining information. Ultimately "guesswork", I admit, yet through strictly logical deductions.

That doesn't sound illogical now or does it ? So that's what I was wondering...does this still make sense to anyone, or resonate with anyone ?

WALMART

Yeah, as Jung thought, they are worthless to the extroverted type, their concerns so nuanced and arbitrary apart from the individual they warrant little attention.

It is an irrational process.

I like it. I think it's a personal taste, and as such, warrants little attention.

Check here

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

This sounds a lot like my inner thought process. And I exceled in logic in college too. I sometimes think I am irrational at the same time as being logical or whatever, because I often change my mind completely about what I thought was absolutely true or I'll make a generalization and then find out it was wrong. We just have to remember to ground our Ni and not let it run away, and we'll be great.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think the difference occurs when you transcend the logical realm and still need to find an explanation or answer for something. That is where Ni shines and thrives, in finding the probable truth [good point!], whereas rational types just keep creating more possibilities fueled by Ne or Se.

I see this with my INFP friend. She continuously cranks out tons of possible explanations for something, which to me usually sound far-fetched and unlikely, whereas I'll come up with one most likely reason, to which she then tends to think I'm making too much of a leap...
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I tend to see it in the Pi/Ji combo. You guys run both Ni and Ti, and so especially to someone who uses Te the Pi/Ti combo can be a bit confusing, because we can tell it's being led by Pi, and so it seems like the cart is running before the horse, and you're reverse-engineering Ti onto it to support your Pi conclusion.

I have an INFJ coworker who operates this way. She'll point something out, then she'll reason it. Like today when she quite amusingly pointed out that one of our coworkers hadn't been having sex lately. And it was true, of course. And we pressed her so she spent some time breaking down the clues that made her know. But for the most part she just said, "I just know".

It happens with my ISFJ too. He's very logical/rational. But he leads with Si and I can tell that, because the Ti framework doesn't lead him to the conclusion. The Si sets up the scene and the Ti traces threads, or something like that, so he can make a coherent rational argument. But he was able to see that conclusion already via Si. Si is a little easier to "see", being concrete to Ni's abstract, but it's the same format.

The P processes are illogical/irrational, but they're not unreasonable.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm pretty good at logic. But I don't think it's the right tool for every job. I've got it on tap whenever I want it, anyway. Married an INTP. That means I get to be the flakey one as long as I am willing to also be the one who remembers to pay the electric bill.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't really want to be rational/logical -- it's no fun that way.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I don't really want to be rational/logical -- it's no fun that way.
    Does not compute.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I have an INFJ coworker who operates this way. She'll point something out, then she'll reason it. Like today when she quite amusingly pointed out that one of our coworkers hadn't been having sex lately. And it was true, of course. And we pressed her so she spent some time breaking down the clues that made her know. But for the most part she just said, "I just know".
    Good example. That sounds familiar.

Sometimes I even have to fend for myself to people who can't grasp how I deducted something. They refuse to accept my wizardry !