User Tag List

Default INFPs: How can we improve Extraverted thinking?

Several weeks ago, I found out I was an INFP. Reading all of these reports that many of you have, I learned that the INFP is the weakest when it comes to extraverted thinking. I then took inventory of myself, and completely realized to myself that the report is so true. And because it is true, it explains why I have struggled so much in my life with thinking out loud, and being responsive to questions that are asked to me in a group setting, in front of others. I am really just such a slow thinker when in front of others that I don't know well, or when asked a question that will likely take a lot of time to process before coming up with a well-thought-out answer.

From all of these personal frustrations, I was wondering if I could ask you guys -- what are some ways to develop Te? Or, is this really just left to the types that have this as their dominant/auxiliary functions? This sounds like this weakness is REALLY going to be affecting of one's personal livelihood, if one's work is going to involve a lot of talking, or being around people who are talkers.

P.S. Long-time reader, but first time poster. I wanted to say that I'm really stoked to be a part of this community, and so thankful for all of you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Hehe, I have coping mechanisms more than I have ways of fixing the problem. Things like floating what I'm saying as a half-joke, or giving up explaining something when it's obviously not registering immediately with whoever I'm talking to.

I honestly see it as a profitable trade-off, since we give up verbal clarity for the ability to see very faint connections, or finding easy ways to make connections between things that other types either can't see at all or don't see right away. So it's kind of a gift once you show it to them.

I guess it's not a big deal, since I've just avoided jobs or situations that required me to be clear and precise when I communicate verbally. Mostly since I hate doing it because I'm not good at it, so I don't bother with it since I don't enjoy it. You can strengthen or develop weaker functions as far as I know, but I don't know particularly how you'd go about doing it.

Also, welcome to the forums =)
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Setrius View Post
    Several weeks ago, I found out I was an INFP. Reading all of these reports that many of you have, I learned that the INFP is the weakest when it comes to extraverted thinking. I then took inventory of myself, and completely realized to myself that the report is so true. And because it is true, it explains why I have struggled so much in my life with thinking out loud, and being responsive to questions that are asked to me in a group setting, in front of others. I am really just such a slow thinker when in front of others that I don't know well, or when asked a question that will likely take a lot of time to process before coming up with a well-thought-out answer.

From all of these personal frustrations, I was wondering if I could ask you guys -- what are some ways to develop Te? Or, is this really just left to the types that have this as their dominant/auxiliary functions? This sounds like this weakness is REALLY going to be affecting of one's personal livelihood, if one's work is going to involve a lot of talking, or being around people who are talkers.

P.S. Long-time reader, but first time poster. I wanted to say that I'm really stoked to be a part of this community, and so thankful for all of you.
    Welcome to TypoC!

Just to clarify:

If you're talking about generally being able to think and talk on your feet, then you could take a public speaking course (look up Toastmasters) and work on your Auxiliary Ne. Ne is a good function for general brainstorming and interacting with your environment. On the other hand, if you want general social skills you could work on Fe and seek out social/networking events for practice.

If you're talking about Te, that particular function is mostly about organization, leadership, and management. For Te, just check out Amazon for some books on organization, scheduling, management, etc.

For descriptions of the individual functions see this website: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/index.cfm

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ I agree that Ne is excellent for spontaneous speaking. Ne speakers can be very "quick".
    There may be some social anxiety involved for you also. For me it's always been shyness, as being quick & articulate in speaking is not a problem when I m emotionally comfortable.

Personally, Te problems for me is more about organization. In the real application Jung would give to inferior Te in an IxFP, it's the ugly voice in my head saying I don't meet these cold, impersonal standards the world seems to push & that it doesn't value my strengths or have a place where my ideals can exist.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe