• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why Do NFs Apologize So Much?

R

RDF

I agree with MacG (why does that sound like a political slogan?). On the other hand, I really see FL's point. I'm very tired of the overwhelming number of people who debate with the intent of trying to convert everyone else to their position, and have no interest in testing their position or learning anything that might change their position for the better. They don't want to become more right, they just want to be right, even if it means being wrong.

Sadly, this seems to be the majority of people I've encountered, so if someone I don't know well starts an argument/debate, my working assumption is that that's how they are, until I see otherwise. My fear is that people who don't know me might think that I'm like that, which would be a reasonable initial assumption given what I said in the previous sentence. So yeah, I see FL's point.

I didn't see this message until after I posted my own. Yes, this is basically the gist of my own argument. I've been burned a lot by people who said they were open-minded and just testing; eventually I decided that they were really about converting others to their own position.

Thanks, Martoon.

FL

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If a religious person really wants to know about my beliefs as an atheist, then I'll give them a quick exposition. If, after that first exposition, the other party takes the approach of picking at every possible little flaw in my exposition, then I'm done arguing at that point.

Yes, it seems to be a matter of intent: Is there a real intent to exchange information and learn, or is there simply an intent to win? I tire of the latter, having been in far too many religious (or TG-oriented, or whatnot) debates since the time I was a teenager.

After awhile, I got it through my head that sometimes the goal of the other person was not always to communicate and learn, and in that case my energy is best invested elsewhere... because I can't possibly contribute to them (since they are not allowing it), nor will they be contributing to me or offering their insights in a way that would help my own to improve.

I think the generic NT approach can be either positive (it points out the holes in ways that are more questioning in nature, asking for clarification rather than seeking to dismiss) or negative (it just wants to disprove and discount).

R

RDF

I agree with the above. This is not really all about N and F types. It applies to the S types and the T types too.

Still, the question remains: Does it occur to the people who apologize excessively, that their frequent apology would make them appear less sincere and trustworthy in the social circle?

To these people, giving an apology is pretty much like telling a joke. It costs nothing, and it probably doesn't mean much to them. An apology just comes out of their mouth when the right button is pushed, like a bullet bursting out of an automatic rifle when you pull the trigger.

So, the question is, when they apologize, do they actually, really, honestly mean it? If they are "serial apologizers", people would have some lingering doubts. Because it could well be just a "casual, anything-can-do apology".

I agree with the points that you and s0532 are raising. I think it's generally understood, though, that a certain minimum level of politeness just makes communication easier even when it's tactical and insincere.

At my job I have to do a lot of work with individual contractors, and many of them are pretty touchy. Some require a lot of hand-holding. When I first took over the job, a couple of them effectively accused me of being a bully when I didn't do a lot of the "pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top" stuff to make it easier for them to swallow a tough order. So now I routinely put in a lot of gestures of apology and politeness to head off any potential ill-will and show them that I'm aware of their situation and trying to consider their interests as well.

Not too long ago, an ENTP contractor responded to one of my messages and asked, "Why are you so polite? You could have cut the length of that email substantially by cutting out all the empty gestures." But I responded that some other contractors need that stuff, and it's easiest to just take the same approach with everyone.

I would happily cut out the polite stuff if I really thought I could get away with it. But being impolite can have negative repercussions and cost money, especially in a people-handling position in the workplace. Meantime, there aren't any particular negative consequences for being at least minimally polite. So I play it safe and err on the side of being polite.

It's not a big deal to me either way. It's mainly just a tactical consideration: It's what works best when handling people.

Meantime I agree that pathologically polite people can be a little scary. I don't like the timid-rabbit type of self-effacement. You wonder what's going on in their heads when their response is so excessive as to be grossly inappropriate.

FL

Last edited:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
have you ever used your politeness in a sickly sweet sort of way though? You know when you appear to be nice but the underlying tone is just rittled with hidden messages that are hard to swallow?

Well you see that is one of my tactics, and a dear friend of mine loves to watch this, it's quite effective b/c while the person getting the 'wrath' may understand what is taking place, others near by do not. So if you decide to react then you look bad not the person who is being the bitch..... (insert my name there ;) )

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I do that too -- which is why I probably sound so placatory sometimes. If I know you, you're much more apt to hear the blunt raw problems I have with your argument and even some scathing sarcasm; if I don't know you, you're much more apt to hear the smoothed-out placatory version, simply because I want to get across that I'm not being an ass and that I've actually got positive intentions, since you don't know me yet and might misread me.

[IOW, I only treat my friends like crap.]

lol, I can relate. I have a really great relationship with the other programmer I work with (an INTJ). We've worked together for five years, two at our current place and three at a previous company. In both places the two of us comprised the entire coding team. When we have differing opinions on a design, we have a very open debate about it where each of us directly points out the problems we see with the other's design. What's so cool about it is that there's absolutely no sense of conflict or negative emotions (I really hate conflict and avoid it at all costs). And every single time, without exception, we have come to a consensus decision that we both like, because we both want to arrive at the best conclusion, and we both want to be made aware of any problems with our own proposed design.

have you ever used your politeness in a sickly sweet sort of way though? You know when you appear to be nice but the underlying tone is just rittled with hidden messages that are hard to swallow?

Well you see that is one of my tactics, and a dear friend of mine loves to watch this, it's quite effective b/c while the person getting the 'wrath' may understand what is taking place, others near by do not. So if you decide to react then you look bad not the person who is being the bitch..... (insert my name there ;) )

Hey, we INTPs know passive aggression. We don't apply it in the style that you do, but we've mastered our own techniques. Nobody does passive-aggressive while maintaining plausible deniability like an INTP. :devil:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
l

Hey, we INTPs know passive aggression. We don't apply it in the style that you do, but we've mastered our own techniques. Nobody does passive-aggressive while maintaining plausible deniability like an INTP. :devil:

:lol: I knew there was a reason why I liked these INTP's so much :harhar:

R

RDF

In my work situation with the contractors? No, that would just backfire. Basically, I'm their boss and I'm paying their salary. If I'm giving them a tough assignment or a short deadline or I'm asking them to customize the work to meet special needs (which happens with pretty much every job), then I'll apologize for the extra burden and kiss their ass a bit if that will help me get a good product from them. In that situation I wouldn't want to undermine my own ass-kissing by acting catty or obviously hypocritical at the same time.

The contractors work alone on long projects. They want to know where they stand with me and know that I'm available to talk in case they have questions or to adjust a deadline. So I don't want to give them mixed messages. The politeness on my part may be routine (and thus insincere), but it also sends a signal that at a minimum I'll be working cooperatively with them and looking out for their interests. As time goes by and they do multiple jobs for me, the message continues to reassure them that I'm not changing up the rules on them or getting sour on their work.

So I try to send a steady, dependable message so that they can focus on the work and not have to worry about me or my organization or the paperwork. Even if the politeness and ass-kissing is routine, it provides reassurance.

I've done passive-aggressive behavior at other times in my life, mostly in the past when I didn't have much rank or power. Back then, passive-aggressive behavior was sometimes the only way I could communicate my dissatisfaction about something. But nowadays I try to avoid that kind of behavior, especially where the relationships are important to me (my wife, friends, co-workers and contractors, etc.)

FL

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
It would serve NFs well to understand that YOU personally have nothing to do with the fact that an NT is debating. It sounds like you're equating "you're wrong" with "you're a failure as a human being"

Oh, absolutely. I agree. I argue regularly with my NT friends, and have to make a concerted effort to keep that point in mind.

It's very easy for me to fall into the "I dislike your idea" = "I dislike you" attitude of reception. I try really hard not to. But it's extremely difficult to change the feelings that surge, even when my mind tells me they're inaccurate. When those feelings come, I can control myself enough not to make personal attacks in defense, but many times I cannot consistently remain engaged in the argument. I have to pull out in order to regain control over those errant emotions.

I take full responsibility for my emotions; no one makes me feel them. I'm just saying that if it bothers NTs so much when an NF pulls out, then they might want to consider helping the NF through this difficulty so the felt need to pull away isn't so strong.

I'm not suggesting it's the NT's responsibility to make NFs feel differently or try to manage NF emotions for them--only that if NTs want different reactions from some NFs, there are things NTs can do to promote the reactions they prefer.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
well in your case with work you have to be as you are.

When i refer to my style there is nothing passive about it. You can tell that I am pissed, but I am sickly sweet about it. There is a sureness in my voice, a calm before the storm type of tone. I know what should have happened and it didn't, I don't beat around the bush at all. I use it mostly when I go into restaurants ;) The excuse me but I am missing half of my order.... I know what is owed to me, I know what standards are to be upheld and I make sure they know that I know.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
fair enough but play gets more interesting when it gets a little personal!

Hmm. This is where I disagree completely. Interesting for you, perhaps. For me, it's like saying, "It's more fun to poke needles into people when you can really draw blood!"

Sometimes needles and blood are necessary, but they're never fun. :tongue10:

R

RDF

well in your case with work you have to be as you are.

When i refer to my style there is nothing passive about it. You can tell that I am pissed, but I am sickly sweet about it. There is a sureness in my voice, a calm before the storm type of tone. I know what should have happened and it didn't, I don't beat around the bush at all. I use it mostly when I go into restaurants ;) The excuse me but I am missing half of my order.... I know what is owed to me, I know what standards are to be upheld and I make sure they know that I know.

Oh, okay. I know what you're talking about. My wife and I used to go out to restaurants with another couple, and the ENFP wife in the other couple used to put on quite a show sometimes. Going to a restaurant with her could be quite an adventure sometimes. ;)

As an introvert, I'm not comfortable working up a lot of public emotion. If a waiter/waitress screws up an order, I'll just politely walk them through the order again. If it looks like it's going to be a regular problem, I'll take my business elsewhere next time. I tend to want to remain above petty problems like that and not notice them. I want to keep the mood light and fun, so I'll let a lot of small things slide.

FL

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
an adventure that is a polite way to put it ;)

I never ever ever get mad at the server it is not their fault if the cook made an error, I am quick to make that clear.

I typically reserve my distaste for McD's drive thrus....

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I value being able to discern a good idea regardless of how well it is communicated. My ideal is to be able to glean a 'good' idea from someone who is overly timid, rude, painstaking, or possessing any other communication flaw. I'm not always capable, but tend to admire this ability in others and work to sharpen it in myself. I weary of too much emphasis on packaging and style over thinking.

That's the beauty of having Thinking as your dominant function! This skill could be so easily developed as if to seem that it comes natural to you, quite a diasappointment that so many INTPs on INTPc still lack that. Essentially, a well developed Ti, when not interefered with by functions that are superior to it should enable you to obtain a state of mind where it only matters what is said and not how it is said. Yet again, so far, I've seen this mentality in abundance only among NTs who had extensive exposure to philosophy, the rest were seemingly just trying to drive their point home by all means necessary--just so they can have their way and appease their vain prejudices.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Yet again, so far, I've seen this mentality in abundance only among NTs who had extensive exposure to philosophy, the rest were seemingly just trying to drive their point home by all means necessary--just so they can have their way and appease their vain prejudices.

I would think extensive exposure to philosophy is the result of a certain kind of open mindset, not the cause of it, but I guess that could be a chicken or the egg discussion. And come to think of it, there probably isn't an either or here.

R

RDF

I think the generic NT approach can be either positive (it points out the holes in ways that are more questioning in nature, asking for clarification rather than seeking to dismiss) or negative (it just wants to disprove and discount).

Well said. I suppose there is a parallel negative NF approach. Perhaps we NFs get so focused on facilitating a feel-good atmosphere that we end up ducking the issues.
:hug: :wubbie: :hug: :wubbie:

FL

R

RDF

an adventure that is a polite way to put it ;)

I never ever ever get mad at the server it is not their fault if the cook made an error, I am quick to make that clear.

I typically reserve my distaste for McD's drive thrus....

I can imagine you giving them hell at the drive-up window. :D

One evening my wife and the other couple (INFP husband and ENFP wife) went to a trendy-but-overpriced fancy restaurant. Before the food even came, the ENFP wife made us change tables five times--the air circulation wasn't right at one table, the lighting was too dim at another, another was too far from the other diners, etc. And that was just the start of the evening.

That was just her way of doing things. She was determined that we should have a dining experience commensurate with the exorbitant prices we were paying. :)

FL

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Before the food even came, the ENFP wife made us change tables five times--the air circulation wasn't right at one table, the lighting was too dim at another, another was too far from the other diners, etc. And that was just the start of the evening....She was determined that we should have a dining experience commensurate with the exorbitant prices we were paying.

Oh god, I would have been crawling UNDER the table (the first one) at that point. The Introvert thing just... hates that sort of conflict over surface details that can just be easily flexed to instead, rather than imposing on someone else.

But considering restaurant prices nowadays, I guess your friend had a point. :) I hope you left a healthy tip.

R

RDF

Oh god, I would have been crawling UNDER the table (the first one) at that point. The Introvert thing just... hates that sort of conflict over surface details that can just be easily flexed to instead, rather than imposing on someone else.

But considering restaurant prices nowadays, I guess your friend had a point. :) I hope you left a healthy tip.

Well, the ENFP makes it such a production (see Targo's description of her emotional display in such situations), that the attention is all on her. For the rest of us, it's kind of a lark. The rest of just tag along and enjoy the grand drama of it all.

It was when you're alone with her that it became a problem. Her husband and my wife both complained of it. They wanted to spend quality time with her; but her attention was all over the place, she was complaining about the food, she was demanding to see the restaurant manager, etc.

(ENFPs have a strong Ne, which means they attach meaning to every stimulus, big and small. Hence they can get equally as upset or provoked by insignificant details as by big events. They need to moderate their Ne with their Fi, by choosing to sift through stimuli and tune out unimportant ones. Otherwise, their Ne runs rampant, they get hung up on petty details and can't distinguish what's important versus unimportant, and they get stressed out and ill from overstimulation.)

We always used to tip well when going out with Jane (the ENFP). She didn't like our doing that, but it seemed only fair. :)

FL

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I have to laugh at the thought of the grand drama of it all. I am not so verbal in my discord with things as I tend to lack self esteem. Yet when I leave I give my husband an earful and he rolls his eyes at it all and asks why I didn't say anything.

Or it could be that I have just tamed the Ne Beast within ;) Oh man that is so funny!

oh I forgot to mention that I have been conscious of saying sorry

Last edited:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would think extensive exposure to philosophy is the result of a certain kind of open mindset, not the cause of it, but I guess that could be a chicken or the egg discussion. And come to think of it, there probably isn't an either or here.

This is a claim that I can well grant. Closed-minded people tend not to gravitate towards philosophy. Though one can still say that despite them being open-minded enough to desire extensive exposure to philosophy, being where they are at, they still may not have the sufficient faculties to focus exclusively on what is said and pay little or no attention to the way it is said or who says it. Hence it is after their studies of philosophy they acquire the skills necessary to accomplish this.

P.S

Philosophy is a reliable way for you to arrive at that point, yet far from the only one.