User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Thread: INFJ and Japan

MBTI
    GONE

I think people who think Japan has a lot of INFJs or is an "INFJ" culture (as opposed to German culture which is "XSTJ" for example) have watched a lot of anime or possibly some really drawn out emo dramas and have a very romantic view of Japan that is not based on actual reality.

I appreciate the perspectives of what non-Japanese who have lived in Japan like Wolfy, Kccrush, and Wyst have to say.

Also Wolfy, I think the sociological term might be 'high-context' for 'guess culture'. Meaning you have to know the cues and be an insider as a lot of meaning and intent is unspoken and not explicit.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    this doesn't make any sense. maybe for an aloof introverted type with Fe at some point in their function development, yes, but it makes no sense to ascribe Fe to "a strong tendency to want to ignore others" instead of ascribing it to the specific person in question. Fe thrives through communication so that it can stay on the same page and harmonize interaction through a careful attention directed toward mirroring gestures, language inflection, and exterior changes in state. what you're saying sounds like Fe wants to ignore others, but what it sounds like is probably more so introverts who want to avoid others because those others are being too pushy, crossing their boundaries, and assuming far too much about them that is in fact incorrect.
    Yeah, OK. I always say that I display my flagrant idiocy everyday. See above for today's Exhibit A.

I went back and reread what I wrote and, honestly, I'm not sure what I was meant. It didn't really make sense to me. Ugh!

Sometimes, I get writing and I get a case of diarrhea of the mouth (or pen) going on. I made @ 15 posts in the 30 minute period surrounding my post above and I wasn't making any sense. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I think people who think Japan has a lot of INFJs or is an "INFJ" culture (as opposed to German culture which is "XSTJ" for example) have watched a lot of anime or possibly some really drawn out emo dramas and have a very romantic view of Japan that is not based on actual reality.

I appreciate the perspectives of what non-Japanese who have lived in Japan like Wolfy, Kccrush, and Wyst have to say.
    The way Japanese culture is at the moment started, started might be strong, formed and changed with the Tokugawa shogunate, from 1603 until 1868. The Tokugawa shogunate initiated sakoku. Sakoku (鎖国, literally locked country, or chained country) from around 1633-1639 and remained in effect until 1853. This served to ingrain culture separate from any outside influence.

Japanese people are overall aware of the influence the culture has on them. There seems to be a split in the thinking. That is where tatamae and honne come in. They are well aware that they are adapting to and using the culture.

It is interesting how much Nihonjinron (theories/discussions about the Japanese) has come out of Japanese culture. That would seem to suggest an introverted culture.

I would say INFJ myself. For Japanese culture, not the individual Japanese person. They are all over the place, making generalities a pathetic absurdity.

Also Wolfy, I think the sociological term might be 'high-context' for 'guess culture'. Meaning you have to know the cues and be an insider as a lot of meaning and intent is unspoken and not explicit.
    That's interesting, I was thinking it had some similarities to informative and directive too.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Japan strikes me more as ISFJ culture than INFJ. Colorful, sensory, detail oriented, hard work ethic, meticulous, sensitive, quiet but group oriented, dutiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    That doesn't have to conform to the type of the general population however, because culture and history are disproportionately influenced by the actions of a society's elite (as opposed to its commoners).
    I am aware of this, and I disagree with INFJ being the dominant type in Japan or Japan being an INFJ culture. In case of common people, ISTJ seems to fit Japan perfectly.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Japan strikes me more as ISFJ culture than INFJ. Colorful, sensory, detail oriented, hard work ethic, meticulous, sensitive, quiet but group oriented, dutiful.
    And has a shit ton of foresight and vision (Ni). Japan is the most highly industrialized country in the world, the most technologically advanced. Its culture is INTJ through and through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

And has a shit ton of foresight and vision (Ni). Japan is the most highly industrialized country in the world, the most technologically advanced. Its culture is INTJ through and through.
    Industry/technology is still pretty S, on a national level. Engineering is definitely an S-dominated profession (although the occasional N excels), and Japan's developments are definitely in the 'physical realm' rather than the 'realm of ideas', principally. Compare Germany; Germany is INTJ. Abstract things like green technologies, economic theory, philosophy.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I think you're confusing engineering with mechanics. Mechanics are usually S, but mechanics are not engineers, by a long shot. Engineering is not just putting industrial things together - it's outright designing and drafting new and innovative technologies. The majority of engineers are actually N.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think you're confusing engineering with mechanics. Mechanics are usually S, but mechanics are not engineers, by a long shot. Engineering is not just putting industrial things together - it's outright designing and drafting new and innovative technologies. The majority of engineers are actually N.
    You can think that if you'd like, but you are wrong.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Japan makes good things better.

Like my jeans, for instance.

edit: same principle applies to tv's, cars,etc.. heck, even a lot of the dominant philosophy there is a building upon of other things (the social values and work ethic is confucianism and can be seen in different varieties across all of asia. zen is pretty much a mix buddhism and taoism..even iconic martial arts inventions, like the katana, are korean in origin)