User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: INFJ and Japan

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I went to Japan for two weeks this February and I absolutely loved it.

I think there are a lot of INFJ characteristics in Japanese culture: Organisation, general kindness, passive-agressive behaviour, quirkiness, depth

A French guy I met in Japan said that Japanese people might appear at first very reserved, as if they don't have any emotions, but if you look closer just their ways of showing emotions are far more subtle, they have deep feelings but you need to know the culture to pick up on that.

Because they are so tuned in to recognising subtle signals they also pick up really quickly how other people are feeling even if they might not show it. The French guy said that living in Japan has made him far more sensitive towards other people's feelings. >> That sounds pretty INFJ to me.

However one thing that an INFJ might find annoying about Japan is the Japanese trust in rules and doing things not because you understand them but because a rule tells you to do them. Also Japanese people might appear unauthentic to us since they will cover up their true emotions and put on a happy front.

but anyway Japan rox. so do the INFJs.

but please don't give them a gun.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    However one thing that an INFJ might find annoying about Japan is the Japanese trust in rules and doing things not because you understand them but because a rule tells you to do them.
    Yes, one thing I can't stand is abiding by rules because "they're the rules." I appreciate rules if I understand them and see how they are beneficial. But I still wish to visit Japan one day and hope this isn't too much of a problem.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Japans rules are more autonomous. They just exist. They're not blatent. It shows in their high level of integrity. When you go, the key word is conscienciousness. Or you WILL get an ass chewin.

MBTI
    INTJ

I live in Japan, and I don't think the national character is that of INFJ. Not at all. Most of my friends here agree that it's probably ISTJ. Japanese people are very much the Guardian type. I don't live in Tokyo, so I can't speak for metropolitan people, but your average middle-class Japanese is very devoted to maintaining the status quo culturally and socially.

They aren't really fanciful. Many of them are very, very practical, so much so that they can be a little closed-minded about foreign concepts. What can you expect from a country that's so incredibly homogeneous? And being emotional in Japan is seen as a huge no-no. The American girl who had my job before me had some social differences with the office and would cry when she got angry. Needless to say, everyone was very, very upset with her. She was given the cold-shoulder until she quit.

Of course, Japanese people can be very sentimental. They love wabisabi things like sappy commercials. Japanese television is full of sentimental stuff. Still, I'd say ISTJ. Maybe ISFJ.

And I'd also say, don't judge Japan off of it's pop culture. Yes, anime can be quirky and imaginative, but a lot of it isn't very representative of the Japanese mainstream. I mean, is Hollywood really representative of American culture? Sometimes, but often Hollywood productions are hugely biased by the views of a select few ENFPs and ESFPs. A lot of it is also written with N-type people in mind. Many Japanese systems (government, education, work-relationships) are grounded in S-ness. Being sensible, repetitive, socially steady...those are what Japan is really about.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yes, ISTJ seems right to me. An ENFP would surely have trouble in Japan. Too honest, too emotional, too much hate for social norm. Too silly, too embarrassing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by hideki View Post
    I forgot somewhere on the web INFJ is like the main personality type for Japan. Anyone know anything between INFJ and the country Japan?

Also, any INFJs experience encountering japanese people? Everytime I go to this japanese restaurant everyone always smiles at me, and I get treated so nice...it's one of those INFJs experiences (being called weird/not here)
    I think Japan is either ISFJ or ISTJ. The "niceness" of Japanese people you're talking about are cultural norms, nothing personal.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

does japan have as much diversity as far as types go as we do in america? are the socially unacceptable types more trapped than in "the west" in such a monolithic culture as japanese? our culture in america is so spread out and diffuse and geographically expansive, tho i guess i'd imagine urban/rural might be the most telling factor in diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    Japans rules are more autonomous. They just exist. They're not blatent. It shows in their high level of integrity. When you go, the key word is conscientiousness. Or you WILL get an ass chewin.
    Conscientiousness. The most important quality. Reinforced by a shame based culture.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram

I think we should be careful not to romantisize here....yes, Japan's pop culture is cool and quirky, but Japanese culture values conformity and gender relations tend not to be as equal as in the west (basing this on a conversation I had with a Japanese girl who said that all Japanese women basically don;'t work after they get married. and also basing this on other Japanese people I have known while living in China) i mean I know that may not be a bad thing for all of them but still..)
    my point is not that Japan is bad, but that countries are like people...each have their good and bad points.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

japan's good points being?????
    1) anime/manga art
    2) samurai flicks
    3) tokyo fashion
    4) iron chef
    5) cheap consumer electronics
    6) nintendo and sega
    7) zen (a la japanese rather than tibetan, etc)
    8) wabi sabi (gardens, temples, etc)

i'm running out of ideas. i'm not sure if i'm pro or con bedrolls. i'm borderline on whether murakami is really worthy of his own bullet-point. same with kurosawa and the guy who did spirited away (hideo something). sumo wrestling, i think, has got to be a definite no. tea ceremonies are another borderline, i want to say yes, but i feel like i'm faking it and just going thru the motions. toyota and honda- surely not.