User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INFJ and Japan

MBTI
    INFJ

that's funny that ISTJ is japan. that's INFJs super-ego. maybe they wanted to be them so badly...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I don't know, I see them as ISTJ's, but I'm probably wrong, I can see INFJ too..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ

It's funny that you guys know so many INFJs that flock to Japan! I personally would LOVE to visit Japan. I love their culture.

Some of you might find this book interesting: Amazon.com: Where in the World Do I Belong?? Which country's culture fits your Myers Briggs personality type?: Brent Massey: Books

It describes Japan as being ISTJ at one point, but then goes on to assert that Japan is ISFJ. It concentrates on the strong preference for Si. The book claims that it can be seen through their preference for tradition (gender roles, respect for the elderly, etc.) and even through their preference for "familiar change" that is specifically an improvement or variation of what they are traditionally used to. Change for the sake of change is uncomfortable to them.

ISFJ also means they have a preference for Fe, which can be seen in how they are accommodating and accepting of others (which I think might conflict with another poster's experiences) and it is through this that they form a system of trust and belonging. Japanese companies take the time to hear everyone's opinions, and accommodate opposing opinions (this of course means it takes longer for them to make final decisions). Japanese products even have extra features attached to them for the convenience and comfort of others. An example given is that all Japanese cars have rain shield wrapping around the top of the window, that way you can still roll down your window a little while without getting water inside you car. The point the author makes is that Japanese innovations are more people-centered than America (the author thinks America is ESTJ, and thus prefers Te). What's also unique about Japanese is that if there is an invention that the majority likes, it seems they all switch to it overnight.

These are just things I picked up on while reading the book. I find it interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ESTJ

Well I don't want to spend any money....soooo...Wedekit, what does the book say about where INFps belong?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Well I don't want to spend any money....soooo...Wedekit, what does the book say about where INFps belong?
    It seems Nepal would be the country for you.

I should also take the time to mention that no country has been typed for INFJs. The book mentioned that a very small number of people type Hungary as INFJ, but the book supports the opinion that it is ESTJ (which is a huge difference). There are no countries for INTJ or INTP either. Looks like we don't belong anywhere in the world.

Who knows how accurate this book is, though, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFP

see, this is what i still don't understand,
    i thought Personality Types is supposed to be spread diverse accross the areas in ANY country, meaning there'll surely be a 'balanced' percentage of STJ, NF, NP, SP ?
    then how come there can be a "dominant" Type in a certain country, like this Japan, for example, with dominant type INFJ ?
    what factors determines it?
    how does it get formed? (ie: many people can 'automatically' or 'nurturedly' become an INFJ?)
    isn't Japan supposed to have 'fair' percentage of other Types too (not only INFJ), just like in ANY other country?
    enlighten me please..

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    see, this is what i still don't understand,
    i thought Personality Types is supposed to be spread diverse accross the areas in ANY country, meaning there'll surely be a 'balanced' percentage of STJ, NF, NP, SP ?
    then how come there can be a "dominant" Type in a certain country, like this Japan, for example, with dominant type INFJ ?
    what factors determines it?
    how does it get formed? (ie: many people can 'automatically' or 'nurturedly' become an INFJ?)
    isn't Japan supposed to have 'fair' percentage of other Types too (not only INFJ), just like in ANY other country?
    enlighten me please..
    This is not to say that there is only ISFJs in Japan, it is to say that the popular culture of Japan seems to take on an ISFJ mindset. I can understand how it might be a hard concept to grasp, but I really don't know how to explain it further than that. Maybe this:

* While some types would be less likely to care much for the elderly if left to their own devices, the ISFJ culture of the Japanese expects them to show the highest respect to the elderly, and so they most likely will.

* While some types might not naturally see the value in tailoring their products for the convenience/comfort of people (like the examples I mentioned in my previous post), society expects them to. If they don't meet these ISFJ-esque expectations, then they have significantly decreased their chances of their product becoming the "next big thing" in Japan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ESTJ

Well... that makes sense, but isn't it also fair to say that introversion and extroversion tend to run in the family? (i.e. some genetic component?)

I only suggest this because almost all the guys who I am related to by blood are introverts of some sort.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Well... that makes sense, but isn't it also fair to say that introversion and extroversion tend to run in the family? (i.e. some genetic component?)

I only suggest this because almost all the guys who I am related to by blood are introverts of some sort.
    Well, I'm not sure if where you're coming from on this. I'm in no way asserting that someone's culture determines their type. I personally believe it has more to do with genetics/predispositions, but I don't know if there is much evidence for any kind of "origin of personality" as far as the MBTI goes.

It's interesting that most males in your family are introverts. Would you say that because of that your family tends to be tolerant to their introversion? I come from a family where the majority are extraverts, and in turn our "family culture" dictates that I should be willing to be social and available at all times. In sum, they expect me to be "outgoing and gregarious," or, more like an extravert.

My family's culture is comparable to American culture, because Americans typically expect introverts to be "gregarious and outgoing" too. What I was saying above was that in Japan they don't have these kind of expectations for introverts. In fact, it could be that they expect the opposite: They expect extraverts to be more quiet and reserved.

Am I being a little more clear? And like I mentioned before, I wouldn't bet my life on the accuracy of this book in typing countries. It's just interesting and I thought I would share.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ESTJ

Oh, I wasn't trying to question you particularly...it was just something I found interesting. Basically I was just pushing that introversion might be more common in Japan for instance because there may be some genetic component to it.

Its interesting that your family expects you to be more outgoing. My mom and her boyfriend are the only people who seem to push that mindset on me (an ESTJ and ESFJ respectively) Most of my family makes fun of me for being "lazy" and not having loads of friends but its all out of good fun because for the most part we are all the same way in that respect.