• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJs in fictional works

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oprah is one. Ross-for-Boss Perot. John Cusack. Ben Stiller. Obama. Matthew McConaughey. Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

These people are ENFJs in real life. Some of em play themselves and are "personalities", and some are actors or comedians or are known for their ability to bring out the best in others (Ross is a great example of this). I personally think that the ENFJ comes through in all of the ones I listed, because they are confident, and caring, and eclectic in their tastes and views, and most of all because they seem to be capable of relating to many, many different sorts of people.

Cheers!

Any specific fictional characters they play that are more ENFJish than the rest?

LilyLOL

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think Oprah as the personality Oprah is the best example of ENFJ. Tries to help others. So open seeming, so diplomatic, so much a leader, teacher, ground breaker, so many people of all types feel they can relate to her, but I'd bet she has almost no people who know her inner thoughts an all that rot.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some really hate Oprah as an ENFJ example... and she's not ficitional!

Well, not totally fictional...

LilyLOL

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Some really hate Oprah as an ENFJ example... and she's not ficitional!

Well, not totally fictional...

Exactly! Not TOTALLY fictional. ;)

I am not a fan of Oprahs... in fact, I think the last time I saw one of her shows was in the 80s. But, I get how she and I are alike.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mack -

Read the Three Musketeers. Aramis is an archetypal eNFJ.

The book is also great for other types, like d'Artagnan, in my opinion, is an ESFP and he's hilarious.

Cardinal Richelieu - INTJ
Count Rochefort - another INTJ
Porthos (my favorite) - ESTP
Athos - yet another INTJ
Treville, captain of the Musketeers - ISFJ
Constance - ISFJ
the Duke of Buckingham - ESTP
Lady de Winter - ISTP (and brilliantly written)

And for the last time, Oprah is NOT an enfj. You do that just to irritate me, don't you, clown?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't bring up She Who Shall Not Be Named!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone read War and Peace? I remember deciding Natasha was probably an ENFJ (although I also seem to remember vacillating between ENFP and ENFJ for her).

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does this mean that I can't kill you and eat you? I was so looking forward to that, Mack.

Jaye loves for me to read aloud to her so we've been reading Musketeers (one of my favorites) and it's just so blazingly obvious what Aramis is. He seems to have an Fe mode and an Ni mode too.

It's funny - I disliked him very much at first. I admired his capacity to survive and to attempt to balance his earthly world with the spiritual all the while fighting AND nurturing his ambitions. But as a person, he's detached, unknowable, and immaterial, like a ghost amidst the "present" feeling of his friends. His ability to hold people off is ridiculous. He goes into some sort of fugue after being almost fatally stabbed in a fight, and is telling d'Artagnan how the more distance he gains from the world, the more his friendships will fade into the background (an extreme stance for coping) because the world is a tomb. I really liked d'Artagnan's ability to both see through that haze and to put the facts together in order to make Aramis' statements ludicrous to the point where even Aramis becomes aware of what he's doing. It's all very humorous.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Really? I think ENFJ's are some of the most popular characters in literature in general.

The only one who comes to mind right now is that father figure guy in To Kill a Mockingbird (I only read it a long time ago in school, don't judge me!). Basically, whenever you get a real saint of a character, you know the perfect types, I think he/she is either an ESFJ or ENFJ.

Other literature MBTI cliche's:

INTJ: The badass. I know, most INTJ's aren't badasses lol, but seriously, if you were to type a lot of the villians in games especially, I think that's the type you'll come accross the most.

ESFP: Protagonist wildchild! Dumb blonde characters too, are often very much in the ESFP mold (sorry ESFP's :( )

ISTP: Biker chick who's a bit cold. The pilot from avatar anyone?

Eh sure there's more. Too lazy to type.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

LilyLOL

MBTI Type
ENFJ
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I'll take that as a big Yes.

Yanno, I can see why. I still have to maintain that as far as the whole everyone knows me / no one knows me thing, (very softly whispering) SWSNBN is a good example of that.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol @ SWSNBN... that was very tactful of you, Lily :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone read War and Peace? I remember deciding Natasha was probably an ENFJ (although I also seem to remember vacillating between ENFP and ENFJ for her).

I think Anna Karenina is ENFJ also (obviously from Anna Karenina...).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

She could be ESFJ, but I see more idealism than sense of duty, as far as her relationship with her husband at the beginning of the novel. She's a very devoted wife with a sincere wish to be good. Seems very FJ to me - the social organization & pleasing the people around them. She is content in this role until meeting Vronsky. Before then, it seemed she had never even considered what she wants out of life on a personal level, outside of what is expected of her.

She's described as very charming, witty and vivacious, immediately capturing the attention of men in the room - screams Fe-dom woman to me. The way she reasons with Dolly to not leave her husband (Anna's brother) has a distinct NF flavor - people readily confide in her, and allow her to influence their emotions.

She does some bad things, but essentially she is a moral person, and her violation of her sense of right/wrong eat at her & destroy her. She can't handle the exile from society when she goes against their standards, and she can't handle it on a moral level either. She values what her external world values, but she needs it to be authentic, and when her relationship with her husband is no longer authentic, she can't remain in it just for show. Her thoughts focus so much on how things could develop, the symbolism of people's actions, etc, that I think she is ENFJ and not ESFJ.

I could probably go on, but it's been awhile since I read the novel, and I tend to remember the ideas, not specifics.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She could be ESFJ, but I see more idealism than sense of duty, as far as her relationship with her husband at the beginning of the novel. She's a very devoted wife with a sincere wish to be good. Seems very FJ to me - the social organization & pleasing the people around them. She is content in this role until meeting Vronsky. Before then, it seemed she had never even considered what she wants out of life on a personal level, outside of what is expected of her.

She's described as very charming, witty and vivacious, immediately capturing the attention of men in the room - screams Fe-dom woman to me. The way she reasons with Dolly to not leave her husband (Anna's brother) has a distinct NF flavor - people readily confide in her, and allow her to influence their emotions.

She does some bad things, but essentially she is a moral person, and her violation of her sense of right/wrong eat at her & destroy her. She can't handle the exile from society when she goes against their standards, and she can't handle it on a moral level either. She values what her external world values, but she needs it to be authentic, and when her relationship with her husband is no longer authentic, she can't remain in it just for show. Her thoughts focus so much on how things could develop, the symbolism of people's actions, etc, that I think she is ENFJ and not ESFJ.

I could probably go on, but it's been awhile since I read the novel, and I tend to remember the ideas, not specifics.

Thanks.

Any reason ENFJ instead of INFJ?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why does "Thanks." read so sarcastically?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because it's not a particularly emotive Thanks! or Thanks! :)

When did exclamation points become required communication devices? I use them all the time, but it seems strange when I think about it. I'm a NOT that perky IRL.