• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi -- Why does it drive you nuts?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I've read a number of comments about how Fi drives members batty -- particularly in regards to ENFP ('cause that's my type so you know, I remember these things).

What does that mean?

What is Fi and why does it drive you nuts?

I barely understand how I experience Fi, but I'm VERY CURIOUS as to how it seems to other people.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The radical subjective nature of Fi makes thinkers uncomfortable. They want people to be able to explain their decisions to them, or for the very least want them to be consistent enough to be made sense of. Bottom line is, Thinkers need for situations to make sense. Fi is quite divorced from logic and therefore has difficulty doing this.

Fi in ENFP is less problematic for Thinkers than in the INFP, as it is more supported by Te (therefore more logical), yet some people may find the Fi in ENFP more problematic because it is slave to the Extroverted Intuition. This may lead to corrupt values as Fi would be used to support nearly every hunch of the ENFP. Such persons tend to turn radically egocentric.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've read a number of comments about how Fi drives members batty -- particularly in regards to ENFP ('cause that's my type so you know, I remember these things).

What does that mean?

What is Fi and why does it drive you nuts?

I barely understand how I experience Fi, but I'm VERY CURIOUS as to how it seems to other people.

it would be superficial to say that Fi simply mean emotionally charged decisions.
i tend to view it as feeling = value based rather than logic based decision making. the difference between Fe and Fi:

Fe: the values are heavily derived from socialization and cultural norms and what would be a good company line for the whole group.
Fi: the values are less concerned with the group and more with inner harmony (they can deal with the group if you can individually empathize with everyone's own inner harmony)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Somehow I gather that CzeCze was looking more for personal responses. Could be wrong though...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Thanks Orangey (and your sad squat cute avatar) but actually any answer is appreciated. :)

I'm seriously curious as to how Fi 'expresses' and what people think of it. Especially the ones who say, "it drives them crazy" (Dissonance and Beat...I'm waiting...lolz)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks Orangey (and your sad squat cute avatar) but actually any answer is appreciated. :)

I'm seriously curious as to how Fi 'expresses' and what people think of it. Especially the ones who say, "it drives them crazy" (Dissonance and Beat...I'm waiting...lolz)

Fes tend to find Fi disturbing because they expect for values and motivations of people to derive from the oustside. From clear-cut customs ostensible to all, as Js they want human behavior to be predictable. Fi behavior is difficult for them to understand as it has very little grounding in the external world of values.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
When negative... oh... It makes me suspicious and impatient to passionately carry out an impulsive deed for a "cause" which is not valiant at all, but rather a defense against offenses/violations which I perceive to be on their way/have happened.

But Fi itself is not exactly to blame.. the individual is. With experience and emotional maturity, I suppose this will prove to be less of an issue.

Last edited:

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Fi is pretty subtle.

It's one of the "perceptual" decision making processes (along with Ti), which means it's good at making decisions in the middle of massive, nonlinear hits of unstructured information (Te and Fe need their info structured to deal with it).

But unlike Ti, it's more personalized; it encourages a personal relationship with the evolving information. But a prerequisite for any personal relationship is prior experience to determine what's acceptable or not.

An *extremely* simple-minded example of how Fi works is cooking. Say you're making sauce. You need to taste your sauce as you're cooking it and add whatever ingredients you need to make it taste "good". There's no way to structure that kind of information spontaneously, and Fi and Ti don't need to.

Even though you might say that you're taking in the information via S, you're making decisions on the fly in terms of what will make the sauce "good" or "bad". You need to personally know the difference between good and bad beforehand via prior experience. And you need to know it in your bones. Ti lacks this personal relationship in deciding what to do with sense-impressions, so, to Ti, the terms "good" and "bad" are meaningless in this context.

But Fi naturally discriminates between "good" and "bad" like that -- in terms of personal experience. It strikes other types as odd because, since it's perceptual, it's nonverbal, receptive, and guided by perceptions it can't quite explain. And on a much larger scale than cooking sauces, it derives its principles from prior experience of being human.

An added benefit of being perceptual (Fi/Ti) as that it doesn't need to take things apart so finely; Fi has the capacity to see things as a whole, apart from the assumptions we've been socialized into accepting. It can then reason wholistically to determine the integrity of our actions. Fe has a stronger emphasis on the prevailing social norms, and thus has a harder time providing this kind of wholistic decision-making.

But a negative is that it's very hard to express the nonlinear/nonverbal machinations of Fi's decision-making process. Combined with the emphasis on what's personally good or bad in terms of fundamental human values, this difficulty to clearly and linearly lay out one's line of reasoning to others can be interpreted as being dogmatic and polar, and their deeply-held human values aren't always self-evident to other people.

On the other hand, the emphasis on personalizing perceptions gives Fi a remarkably strong point of reference. Take a tragic play, for example. The emotional impact and meaning of the play are entirely dependent on whether or not we have a strong inner reference shaped by the experience of being human -- the kind that bypasses all the social constructs and strikes on what is essentially human. This gives people who use Fi an amazing amount of empathy.

I think others are bothered by Fi because it can appear so dogmatically certain about things that strike others as relative -- concepts like "good" and "bad" -- yet it has difficulty expressing its justification.

That's how I understand it anyway.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't tend to have any problems with ExFP's. IxFP's are another story though. When I talk to them it feels like I am navigating a mine field. I never know when I am going to say something that will make them blow up at me. IxFP's have a million strongly felt personal values, and you have no warning as to when you are going to violate one until after you have already done it. The other possible outcome is that you seriously pissed them off, but they never let you know it. Either way you're screwed. With Fe types at least you know where you stand with them, because they tend to wear their heart on their sleeve. With Fi you'll never know until it's too late.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
It's a little bit ooohh, it's a little bit aahhhh.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't tend to have any problems with ExFP's. IxFP's are another story though. When I talk to them it feels like I am navigating a mine field. I never know when I am going to say something that will make them blow up at me. IxFP's have a million strongly felt personal values, and you have no warning as to when you are going to violate one until after you have already done it. The other possible outcome is that you seriously pissed them off, but they never let you know it. Either way you're screwed. With Fe types at least you know where you stand with them, because they tend to wear their heart on their sleeve. With Fi you'll never know until it's too late.

I've found that I can usually work out the values systems of IxFPs if I spend enough time with them IRL. Then I can (mostly) avoid the mine fields. It's harder to do online though, I think. I find it harder to pick Fe-dom values - for some reason I find it easier to work out what makes introverts tick. I haven't worked out yet how to reliably decode extraverts, particularly Fe-extraverts.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi is pretty subtle.

It's one of the "perceptual" decision making processes (along with Ti), which means it's good at making decisions in the middle of massive, nonlinear hits of unstructured information (Te and Fe need their info structured to deal with it).

But unlike Ti, it's more personalized; it encourages a personal relationship with the evolving information. But a prerequisite for any personal relationship is prior experience to determine what's acceptable or not.

An *extremely* simple-minded example of how Fi works is cooking. Say you're making sauce. You need to taste your sauce as you're cooking it and add whatever ingredients you need to make it taste "good". There's no way to structure that kind of information spontaneously, and Fi and Ti don't need to.

Even though you might say that you're taking in the information via S, you're making decisions on the fly in terms of what will make the sauce "good" or "bad". You need to personally know the difference between good and bad beforehand via prior experience. And you need to know it in your bones. Ti lacks this personal relationship in deciding what to do with sense-impressions, so, to Ti, the terms "good" and "bad" are meaningless in this context.

But Fi naturally discriminates between "good" and "bad" like that -- in terms of personal experience. It strikes other types as odd because, since it's perceptual, it's nonverbal, receptive, and guided by perceptions it can't quite explain. And on a much larger scale than cooking sauces, it derives its principles from prior experience of being human.

An added benefit of being perceptual (Fi/Ti) as that it doesn't need to take things apart so finely; Fi has the capacity to see things as a whole, apart from the assumptions we've been socialized into accepting. It can then reason wholistically to determine the integrity of our actions. Fe has a stronger emphasis on the prevailing social norms, and thus has a harder time providing this kind of wholistic decision-making.

But a negative is that it's very hard to express the nonlinear/nonverbal machinations of Fi's decision-making process. Combined with the emphasis on what's personally good or bad in terms of fundamental human values, this difficulty to clearly and linearly lay out one's line of reasoning to others can be interpreted as being dogmatic and polar, and their deeply-held human values aren't always self-evident to other people.

On the other hand, the emphasis on personalizing perceptions gives Fi a remarkably strong point of reference. Take a tragic play, for example. The emotional impact and meaning of the play are entirely dependent on whether or not we have a strong inner reference shaped by the experience of being human -- the kind that bypasses all the social constructs and strikes on what is essentially human. This gives people who use Fi an amazing amount of empathy.

I think others are bothered by Fi because it can appear so dogmatically certain about things that strike others as relative -- concepts like "good" and "bad" -- yet it has difficulty expressing its justification.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Thank you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what is this misconception, of if you insult me I'll blow up? not likely to happen, I do have control over my emotions believe or not. It takes a lot to get me angry, trust me I have non INFP friends who get more pissed about what someone says then I ever do. Words don't bother me. Now actions that involve harming someone do, talking about those actions probably won't bother me but doing such a thing would.

maybe I'm not an INFP, because I am not oooh so sensitive, I'm kinda tired of this misconception of Fs are weak and we cry when we see a car wreck and Ts are cold they feel nothing.

O

Oberon

I am so blind to my own emotional state that I actually have depended on feedback from others to tell me how I'm feeling.

A former boss once told me "I can tell you're not happy." And when I thought about it I realized he was right, but I didn't know it up until then. I've seen myself throw things (extremely rare) and observed internally "Hey, I must be angry."

So, while my internal emotional climate certainly influences my behavior and probably influences my decisions, it does so while taking a complete and total detour around cognition.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am so blind to my own emotional state that I actually have depended on feedback from others to tell me how I'm feeling.

A former boss once told me "I can tell you're not happy." And when I thought about it I realized he was right, but I didn't know it up until then. I've seen myself throw things (extremely rare) and observed internally "Hey, I must be angry."

So, while my internal emotional climate certainly influences my behavior and probably influences my decisions, it does so while taking a complete and total detour around cognition.

This is really interesting!!!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've found the Fi of an ETJ much more frightening than that of an IFP, honestly.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What happens... is it's like, their conviction is just as strong, but they haven't thought through these values very much, and decide that winning is crushing their opponents rather than convincing them to turn to the light side.

Sometimes IFPs can get like this, but it's more common to ETJs. Like... if you look at news shows, if there's somebody yelling over the other guy about WHAT IS RIIIIGHT!!!! while what seems to come out of their mouth is utter nonsense, they're probably an ETJ.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
what is this misconception, of if you insult me I'll blow up? not likely to happen, I do have control over my emotions believe or not. It takes a lot to get me angry, trust me I have non INFP friends who get more pissed about what someone says then I ever do. Words don't bother me. Now actions that involve harming someone do, talking about those actions probably won't bother me but doing such a thing would.

maybe I'm not an INFP, because I am not oooh so sensitive, I'm kinda tired of this misconception of Fs are weak and we cry when we see a car wreck and Ts are cold they feel nothing.

Same here.

Someone would really have to try hard to "violate my personal values". I think it might be because none of my values have anything to do with other people, they can act how they want.

I try to avoid becoming passionate or emotional in any way, as it's in these states I'll find it hardest to follow my values. As a result, I only ever allow my emotions free reign in a controlled enviroment.

For me, I think Fi is what keeps me constantly checking for consistency with values, every action, thought, and state of mind is checked to see if it is in line with the system. Thus I constantly reshape myself and try and move closer to the ideal image I've made. These feelings and values are intense, mystical and what not, but that's all I can really express clearly about the subjective side to them