User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Being watched

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Hmm...being watched. It seems I'm usually the one doing the people watching, but yes I think I usually notice it when an individual is watching me. I think I'm "noticed" more than "watched" though, like in passing people's facial expressions usually change when they see me. Some grimace, some tilt their head, some widen their eyes but an expression usually happens. I agree with @Honor though that an individual watching me doesn't really bother me, and even sort of intrigues me (perhaps because I do it to other people). I don't think I've ever acknowledged the watcher, though perhaps I should because I want to know what they are thinking. Is it similar to what I think when I watch people?
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    INTP

I'm an NT and I don't like being watched. Over Christmas I had my guitar and a family-friend gathering and people started to watch me play and compliment me. I stopped and said I didn't want to be paid attention to. When people began having conversation again that had nothing to do with me, I was able to play in the background.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm okay with it, i think. i mean...just normal style people looking at you or maybe watching you do something. people kind of watch me all the time while i work. it's kind of weird knowing all these eyes are on me while i'm looking at someone else but it's whatever.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

From an anecdotal perspective, most of the INFJ's I've known, immensely disliked being stared at; even by their intimate partners, and going as far as verbally expressing their disapproval of being stared at. All but one INFJ I knew. He's a singer and a musician, in which case, you have little choice to pursue a career in the music industry unless being on the center stage was one of them. Metaphorically, he often speaks about the mask he has to put up at work or on stage.

As an INFP and knowing others who had to deal with insecurities such as this one, our reaction in dealing with being stared at was a bit more discreet, as we kept it mostly to ourselves, only until the topic came up in conversation. I feel as though, within the INFx dissemblance, having a "J" is more orderly and have an instinctual... "ok this has worked for me, why change it" attitude.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Hovering is different from being watched, though, right? I cannot stand it when someone invades my personal space, but I could care less about being watched. I think I like it actually.
    I feel the same. I really don't like it when someone hovers, especially when I'm doing something difficult, like decorating a cake. I don't mind if they watch at a bit of a distance, though. It's flattering.

MBTI
    yupp

I'll be doing awesome at a task then someone starts watching and suck hardcore

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    From an anecdotal perspective, most of the INFJ's I've known, immensely disliked being stared at; even by their intimate partners, and going as far as verbally expressing their disapproval of being stared at. All but one INFJ I knew. He's a singer and a musician, in which case, you have little choice to pursue a career in the music industry unless being on the center stage was one of them. Metaphorically, he often speaks about the mask he has to put up at work or on stage.

As an INFP and knowing others who had to deal with insecurities such as this one, our reaction in dealing with being stared at was a bit more discreet, as we kept it mostly to ourselves, only until the topic came up in conversation. I feel as though, within the INFx dissemblance, having a "J" is more orderly and have an instinctual... "ok this has worked for me, why change it" attitude.
    very useful thanks.

Funny you mention "putting up a mask". That's a metaphore I use a lot too. It's hard for me to be myself when you're very sensitive to everything that goes on in social contexts and when you're very aware of social expectations and stigma's.
    Plus, I'm also very good at noticing when other people are hiding their true self.

Again, I think my intuition is often a burden in social settings. I envy how perhaps an S or P type is way more laid back.

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I'm an NT and I don't like being watched. Over Christmas I had my guitar and a family-friend gathering and people started to watch me play and compliment me. I stopped and said I didn't want to be paid attention to. When people began having conversation again that had nothing to do with me, I was able to play in the background.
    Exactly the same with me (different instrument, though).

I once worked in a suite where my desk was situated smack dab in the middle of a dozen executive's glass-walled offices. Absolute freakin' nightmare.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Exactly the same with me (different instrument, though).

I play guitar too and I'm also not really comfortable with playing in front of people yet, but I think that's a matter of experience and if that is your aim I think you get used to playing for an audience rather easily. You have to put your mind into the playing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    I once worked in a suite where my desk was situated smack dab in the middle of a dozen executive's glass-walled offices. Absolute freakin' nightmare.
    My desk has been in the middle of about 10 executives for 5 years. Turned out to be great for my social skills & development but also too draining in the long run. I got an office on my own now.

@miauwington, what does miauwington mean?