• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFP or INTP?

Chicken scallop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hey all

I know this question has been asked a lot but I'm still confused as to whether I'm an INFP or INTP :unsure: My enneagram type is 6w5. My confusion comes to whether I'm a thinker or feeler. I'm definitely a romanticist, I love music but I'm yet to play an instrument seriously, I do tend to experience emotions strongly, but find it very uncomfortable to express my emotions, unless I know you very well. I also hate to cry in front of people like when I'm watching a movie as I don't know I guess I don't want people to see me as soft or to sensitive, even though I cry during Romantic comedies by myself all the time ("A Walk To Remember" probably being my favourite:blush:) I am very aware of people's emotions when making decisions, and put more emphasis on being subjective rather than objective. However, I think from past experience, I become less concerned with taking emotions into consideration when the person is questioning a principle I hold to be true. In terms of introversion, I do love to be inside my head, however I don't tend to ruminate on fanciful things as the stereotype goes for INFPs, I wouldn't say I'm an imaginative thinker, but definitely love to think about the problems of the world and always trying to know myself a lot better. I'm known by my friends to be very sensitive but I guess not directly but indirectly. So ya I'm not really sure what I am, the fact is I really want to be an INFP cause I believe their type are awesome :D but I don't want to mistype myself. any suggestions would be great :)

Oh ya, and just on a side note, everyone sees introverted feeling to be selfish because I am always by myself, as opposed to extroverted feeling, is this true? I do have a mum as an ESTJ and a ESTP as a brother, my brother thinks I'm weird most of the time lol, but my dad is a ENFP I believe so at least he balances it out a bit lol. Anyway and thoughts would be great :)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey all

I know this question has been asked a lot but I'm still confused as to whether I'm an INFP or INTP :unsure: My enneagram type is 6w5. My confusion comes to whether I'm a thinker or feeler. I'm definitely a romanticist, I love music but I'm yet to play an instrument seriously, I do tend to experience emotions strongly, but find it very uncomfortable to express my emotions, unless I know you very well. I also hate to cry in front of people like when I'm watching a movie as I don't know I guess I don't want people to see me as soft or to sensitive, even though I cry during Romantic comedies by myself all the time ("A Walk To Remember" probably being my favourite:blush:) I am very aware of people's emotions when making decisions, and put more emphasis on being subjective rather than objective. However, I think from past experience, I become less concerned with taking emotions into consideration when the person is questioning a principle I hold to be true. In terms of introversion, I do love to be inside my head, however I don't tend to ruminate on fanciful things as the stereotype goes for INFPs, I wouldn't say I'm an imaginative thinker, but definitely love to think about the problems of the world and always trying to know myself a lot better. I'm known by my friends to be very sensitive but I guess not directly but indirectly. So ya I'm not really sure what I am, the fact is I really want to be an INFP cause I believe their type are awesome :D but I don't want to mistype myself. any suggestions would be great :)

Oh ya, and just on a side note, everyone sees introverted feeling to be selfish because I am always by myself, as opposed to extroverted feeling, is this true? I do have a mum as an ESTJ and a ESTP as a brother, my brother thinks I'm weird most of the time lol, but my dad is a ENFP I believe so at least he balances it out a bit lol. Anyway and thoughts would be great :)

Based on this post alone, I'm inclined to say INFP. But I really need more information.

How much have you read on the cognitive functions? Both of these types use auxiliary Ne and tertiary Si, so I'd focus on learning as much as you can about Fi/Fe and Ti/Te as possible (go ahead and read up on Ne/Ni and Se/Si just for good measure). I think it might be easy for INxPs to confuse Ti and Fi, especially if their knowledge is based mostly on the type descriptions, which tend to overgeneralize and pigeonhole the types with stereotypes that won't always apply to every individual. It's quite possible you're an INTP who just happens to be very in touch with their romantic, sentimental side (not to say INTPs aren't normally capable of being romantics). Also, focus just as much time and energy on determining your inferior function (it defines you just as much as your dominant). Your inferior function will exhaust you the most, so try to find out what makes you feel more energized, more drained, etc...finding out which function is your achilles heel might be the key to successfully finding your type.

Chicken scallop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for your help, I will definitely go and research more on FI/FE and TI/TE :)

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd lean towards INFP for you, based your OP. Still, I'd want to hear more about how you feel about people being earnest but incorrect... do you ever play devil's advocate... how do you rate listening to people deeply and understand their perspective vs. evaluating where they go off track or make an incorrect conclusion or inaccurate statement.

Chicken scallop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think I have learned overtime to play devil's advocate as I'm actually studying law and business, which according to stereotype is very unlike INFPs, but I guess it all depends on your motives. I'm always been known as someone who just listens and gives sound advice to my friends, I definitely try to put myself in their shoes to understand where they are coming from, but also try to apply some logic in my advice. I have however come to hate the concept of logic or "common sense", cause whenever I'm in a conversation with my family, they always apply logic and never come from a sympathetic point of view. I can come of as being cold and detached sometimes as well when in conversation (although I feel emotions strongly internally), my mum (ESTJ) has always said I'm not a feeling type cause i never openly express emotions. so i have always questioned it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No offense, but your mom obviously doesn't understand what Feeling means, at least in the context of Meyers Briggs. Being a feeler doesn't mean one willingly shows their emotions. You have to almost eliminate emotion from the equation. Feeling is more about ethics and empathy. Yes, emotion will play a role, but she's making the common mistake of assuming Feeling = Emotion.

There's plenty of T's that can be just as emotional as Feelers and might even show their emotions more outwardly.

I originally said I think you are most likely INFP, but I'm starting to question that now. You could very well be an INTP with remarkably well-developed inferior Fe. The question then would be does empathizing with others and considering their own feelings tend to make you more energized, or does it take a heavy physical and mental toll on you?

OR

Does applying logic to a situation in which you are considering other's feelings and values leave you more drained?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Amount of emoticons and Nickname= INFP

@digesthisickness Care to venture into another wager? :devil:

Edit: I do actually believe you re INFP, both based on what i just stated but also based on how you formulated your OP. You're just a head-centered INFP. You're just lower on the emotional voltage due to your head-fix, and less into the emotional realm (like a 4 would be) coz you're busy elsewhere, and have different priorities. But that doesn't mean you don't prefer to use Fi-Ne to navigate the world :wink:

You by any chance...also male? (coz that would explain it further) and you also by any chance sp-dom?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
read this http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=6582

it talks about each function and it's "suppressor" function. Fi doms will have Te as a suppressive function. For Ti doms it will be Fe

Ti and Fe have a suppressive relationship. While one must withdraw and be dispassionate of the feelings of others in order to use their subjective personal logic, Fe ignores the personal one’s personal logic and focuses on the feelings and needs of others.

Fi and Te have a suppressive relationship. Te is the protocol that everyone must abide by, and it ignores the values of the individual. Te suppresses Fi in that it makes no acceptation for anyone and holds everyone to the same standard. While Fi ignores structural protocol and puts their values first.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They (Ti and Fi) can actually appear very similar at times.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, have you considered looking into INFJ, ISFP, ISFJ, and even INTJ, just for good measure?

Chicken scallop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ya I definitely understand what you mean about the concept of a feeler not meaning to be totally about emotion, as I have continued to study Myers Briggs, I can really see that. I'm not really sure about the two options, both really drain me :shrug: ( regarding apply logic or empathising with others), I would have to say probably the former.. I guess it's hard to determine whether I have just developed a T thinking preference considerably over time as I need to because of the subjects I'm doing at uni and because more family members are thinkers and always require concrete facts and logic, but I have always found that i am led by principles and values strongly in making decisions about things. I think I'm very aware of other people's emotions more so when I can feel tension in a conversation, it's like I can feel tension really strongly in the atmosphere if I feel for example that a person is not wanting to be there or giving of a negative vibe, I always feel uncomfortable for and will often try and lighten the mood, not sure if that ties in with looking for harmonic experiences I guess.

I am male :) so I guess I fall into social expectations of people thinking that guys that are to emotional have biased opinions or are weak, so i try to show people that im not an emotional person. I do actually hate social expectations about everything, for example meeting a new person I really hate small talk, it would seem weird to them but I would rather jump straight into a philosophical debate or I love debating about ethics or values, but I do understand that people require you to use small talk at first so ii just accept it.

Sorry Amargith, what do you mean by being sp Dom?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:) It refers to the instinctual variants that accompany the enneagram system and means self-preservational instinct. Each one of use leads with one, is good at a second and usually ignores the third for the most part. The first one tends to be something we're very focused on taking care of, to the point of obsessive at times

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/articles/nartinstvar.asp#.UqttfZE6LwI

There ya go, a description of all three :)

Oh and your hate for small talk is typical for an Fi-user ;)

Chicken scallop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh ya and I have considered all the other types, at first I thought I was an infj, but eventually it turned out I wasn't after watching many videos, I never been a sensing type, although on a side note, I quite recently liked an ISFP, they are very confusing with their mixed signals :unsure: and yes at one point I thought I was also an intj, but I have never been that structured and logical as I believe INTJs very much are. So then I finally concluded that I'm either INFP or INTP, the only thing that doesn't really resonate with me for the INFP type is the act of being artistic. I love music and love singing, but I have never really being into knowing poetry or doing creative writing or things like that, although I appreciate poetry and its depth of thought very much :)

Chicken scallop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for that test Amargith, never seen that one before, I believe based on the descriptions I would have a social instinct. Not really sure about the sexual instinct though, it seems a bit obscure :/

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's the reason behind your username? I think the answers in there somewhere.

Chicken scallop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Umm, three reasons I guess, firstly cause I couldn't think of a good name to describe my personality, secondly cause it was my nickname at an old school I used to go to, and thirdly probably cause I love food lol. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh... That tells me nothing haha

Ya know... I didn't see the scallop part until just now and it kinda changes it for me. Haha

ameeker

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
No offense, but your mom obviously doesn't understand what Feeling means, at least in the context of Meyers Briggs. Being a feeler doesn't mean one willingly shows their emotions. You have to almost eliminate emotion from the equation. Feeling is more about ethics and empathy. Yes, emotion will play a role, but she's making the common mistake of assuming Feeling = Emotion.

There's plenty of T's that can be just as emotional as Feelers and might even show their emotions more outwardly.

I originally said I think you are most likely INFP, but I'm starting to question that now. You could very well be an INTP with remarkably well-developed inferior Fe. The question then would be does empathizing with others and considering their own feelings tend to make you more energized, or does it take a heavy physical and mental toll on you?

OR

Does applying logic to a situation in which you are considering other's feelings and values leave you more drained?

I would agree with this. I just asked an ex for his MBTI type, and he's an F. However, the only time he ever cried in his life is when a pet died. So I would not have normally pinned him as an F.