12 Last

Thread: INFP or INTP?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default INFP or INTP?

Hey all

I know this question has been asked a lot but I'm still confused as to whether I'm an INFP or INTP My enneagram type is 6w5. My confusion comes to whether I'm a thinker or feeler. I'm definitely a romanticist, I love music but I'm yet to play an instrument seriously, I do tend to experience emotions strongly, but find it very uncomfortable to express my emotions, unless I know you very well. I also hate to cry in front of people like when I'm watching a movie as I don't know I guess I don't want people to see me as soft or to sensitive, even though I cry during Romantic comedies by myself all the time ("A Walk To Remember" probably being my favourite) I am very aware of people's emotions when making decisions, and put more emphasis on being subjective rather than objective. However, I think from past experience, I become less concerned with taking emotions into consideration when the person is questioning a principle I hold to be true. In terms of introversion, I do love to be inside my head, however I don't tend to ruminate on fanciful things as the stereotype goes for INFPs, I wouldn't say I'm an imaginative thinker, but definitely love to think about the problems of the world and always trying to know myself a lot better. I'm known by my friends to be very sensitive but I guess not directly but indirectly. So ya I'm not really sure what I am, the fact is I really want to be an INFP cause I believe their type are awesome but I don't want to mistype myself. any suggestions would be great

Oh ya, and just on a side note, everyone sees introverted feeling to be selfish because I am always by myself, as opposed to extroverted feeling, is this true? I do have a mum as an ESTJ and a ESTP as a brother, my brother thinks I'm weird most of the time lol, but my dad is a ENFP I believe so at least he balances it out a bit lol. Anyway and thoughts would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken scallop View Post
    Hey all

I know this question has been asked a lot but I'm still confused as to whether I'm an INFP or INTP My enneagram type is 6w5. My confusion comes to whether I'm a thinker or feeler. I'm definitely a romanticist, I love music but I'm yet to play an instrument seriously, I do tend to experience emotions strongly, but find it very uncomfortable to express my emotions, unless I know you very well. I also hate to cry in front of people like when I'm watching a movie as I don't know I guess I don't want people to see me as soft or to sensitive, even though I cry during Romantic comedies by myself all the time ("A Walk To Remember" probably being my favourite) I am very aware of people's emotions when making decisions, and put more emphasis on being subjective rather than objective. However, I think from past experience, I become less concerned with taking emotions into consideration when the person is questioning a principle I hold to be true. In terms of introversion, I do love to be inside my head, however I don't tend to ruminate on fanciful things as the stereotype goes for INFPs, I wouldn't say I'm an imaginative thinker, but definitely love to think about the problems of the world and always trying to know myself a lot better. I'm known by my friends to be very sensitive but I guess not directly but indirectly. So ya I'm not really sure what I am, the fact is I really want to be an INFP cause I believe their type are awesome but I don't want to mistype myself. any suggestions would be great

Oh ya, and just on a side note, everyone sees introverted feeling to be selfish because I am always by myself, as opposed to extroverted feeling, is this true? I do have a mum as an ESTJ and a ESTP as a brother, my brother thinks I'm weird most of the time lol, but my dad is a ENFP I believe so at least he balances it out a bit lol. Anyway and thoughts would be great
    Based on this post alone, I'm inclined to say INFP. But I really need more information.

How much have you read on the cognitive functions? Both of these types use auxiliary Ne and tertiary Si, so I'd focus on learning as much as you can about Fi/Fe and Ti/Te as possible (go ahead and read up on Ne/Ni and Se/Si just for good measure). I think it might be easy for INxPs to confuse Ti and Fi, especially if their knowledge is based mostly on the type descriptions, which tend to overgeneralize and pigeonhole the types with stereotypes that won't always apply to every individual. It's quite possible you're an INTP who just happens to be very in touch with their romantic, sentimental side (not to say INTPs aren't normally capable of being romantics). Also, focus just as much time and energy on determining your inferior function (it defines you just as much as your dominant). Your inferior function will exhaust you the most, so try to find out what makes you feel more energized, more drained, etc...finding out which function is your achilles heel might be the key to successfully finding your type.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Thanks for your help, I will definitely go and research more on FI/FE and TI/TE

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I'd lean towards INFP for you, based your OP. Still, I'd want to hear more about how you feel about people being earnest but incorrect... do you ever play devil's advocate... how do you rate listening to people deeply and understand their perspective vs. evaluating where they go off track or make an incorrect conclusion or inaccurate statement.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think I have learned overtime to play devil's advocate as I'm actually studying law and business, which according to stereotype is very unlike INFPs, but I guess it all depends on your motives. I'm always been known as someone who just listens and gives sound advice to my friends, I definitely try to put myself in their shoes to understand where they are coming from, but also try to apply some logic in my advice. I have however come to hate the concept of logic or "common sense", cause whenever I'm in a conversation with my family, they always apply logic and never come from a sympathetic point of view. I can come of as being cold and detached sometimes as well when in conversation (although I feel emotions strongly internally), my mum (ESTJ) has always said I'm not a feeling type cause i never openly express emotions. so i have always questioned it.

No offense, but your mom obviously doesn't understand what Feeling means, at least in the context of Meyers Briggs. Being a feeler doesn't mean one willingly shows their emotions. You have to almost eliminate emotion from the equation. Feeling is more about ethics and empathy. Yes, emotion will play a role, but she's making the common mistake of assuming Feeling = Emotion.

There's plenty of T's that can be just as emotional as Feelers and might even show their emotions more outwardly.

I originally said I think you are most likely INFP, but I'm starting to question that now. You could very well be an INTP with remarkably well-developed inferior Fe. The question then would be does empathizing with others and considering their own feelings tend to make you more energized, or does it take a heavy physical and mental toll on you?

OR

Does applying logic to a situation in which you are considering other's feelings and values leave you more drained?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Amount of emoticons and Nickname= INFP

@digesthisickness Care to venture into another wager?

Edit: I do actually believe you re INFP, both based on what i just stated but also based on how you formulated your OP. You're just a head-centered INFP. You're just lower on the emotional voltage due to your head-fix, and less into the emotional realm (like a 4 would be) coz you're busy elsewhere, and have different priorities. But that doesn't mean you don't prefer to use Fi-Ne to navigate the world

You by any chance...also male? (coz that would explain it further) and you also by any chance sp-dom?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

read this http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=6582

it talks about each function and it's "suppressor" function. Fi doms will have Te as a suppressive function. For Ti doms it will be Fe

Ti and Fe have a suppressive relationship. While one must withdraw and be dispassionate of the feelings of others in order to use their subjective personal logic, Fe ignores the personal one’s personal logic and focuses on the feelings and needs of others.
    Fi and Te have a suppressive relationship. Te is the protocol that everyone must abide by, and it ignores the values of the individual. Te suppresses Fi in that it makes no acceptation for anyone and holds everyone to the same standard. While Fi ignores structural protocol and puts their values first.

They (Ti and Fi) can actually appear very similar at times.

Also, have you considered looking into INFJ, ISFP, ISFJ, and even INTJ, just for good measure?