User Tag List

First 1234 Last

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I can't speak on behalf of all ISFP's... but I think a big issue is inability to bring to words the thoughts and emotions we experience. It's less a lack of depth, and more a lack in ability to verbalize the internal world.
    I feel like this, too. I think that more than anything that's being a Fi dom. Jung makes a point of mentioning that about Fi, actually, that unless there is a tremendous amount of artistic ability the inner world of a Fi dom goes unseen and unexplained.

I think what Fi + Ne does is explain itself through metaphor. It's not all that articulate either. I often feel like I have no clue how to express what's inside, but then I'll latch on to something outside of me that I think explains it well. Often it's not all that conscious of a process. For example, I do visual art and I was drawn to this photograph of a man who recently died after a deep sea dive attempt without oxygen. He had this look of panic on his face and I wanted to paint it. Then I started to think about diving deeply with no external support and pushing yourself to this level of interiority that can eventually kill you and I thought, hmm, that explains how I feel a lot of the time.

I read somewhere that ISFPs often have difficulty verbalizing while INFPs often think they have more difficulty than they actually do. Maybe that's the case.

As far as the OP goes, I'm married to an ESFP and I get where you're coming from. I didn't know about MBTI but when we started dating I thought he lacked 'something'. But I loved him so I got over it. I also thought this after we were married for seven years, and that our extremely obvious differences were irreconcilable. But sometimes you do connect with people in certain ways and not in others. I feel like most of our connections are nonverbal and unarticulated. I kind of like that, actually. It makes it more mysterious and complicated. We will never quite figure each other out. But we do share Fi and we do share the pov of an extroverted perceiver, so we aren't all that different. We both like novelty and are pretty open minded.

Also, my kid is an ISFP and we are very close. He is the coolest and I admire many of his qualities. His imagination works in ways I can only dream about. I definitely have more in common with him than, say, most INTJs. (Nothing against INTJs or anything.)

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I feel like this, too. I think that more than anything that's being a Fi dom. Jung makes a point of mentioning that about Fi, actually, that unless there is a tremendous amount of artistic ability the inner world of a Fi dom goes unseen and unexplained.

I think what Fi + Ne does is explain itself through metaphor. It's not all that articulate either. I often feel like I have no clue how to express what's inside, but then I'll latch on to something outside of me that I think explains it well. Often it's not all that conscious of a process. For example, I do visual art and I was drawn to this photograph of a man who recently died after a deep sea dive attempt without oxygen. He had this look of panic on his face and I wanted to paint it. Then I started to think about diving deeply with no external support and pushing yourself to this level of interiority that can eventually kill you and I thought, hmm, that explains how I feel a lot of the time.

I read somewhere that ISFPs often have difficulty verbalizing while INFPs often think they have more difficulty than they actually do. Maybe that's the case.

As far as the OP goes, I'm married to an ESFP and I get where you're coming from. I didn't know about MBTI but when we started dating I thought he lacked 'something'. But I loved him so I got over it. I also thought this after we were married for seven years, and that our extremely obvious differences were irreconcilable. But sometimes you do connect with people in certain ways and not in others. I feel like most of our connections are nonverbal and unarticulated. I kind of like that, actually. It makes it more mysterious and complicated. We will never quite figure each other out. But we do share Fi and we do share the pov of an extroverted perceiver, so we aren't all that different. We both like novelty and are pretty open minded.

Also, my kid is an ISFP and we are very close. He is the coolest and I admire many of his qualities. His imagination works in ways I can only dream about. I definitely have more in common with him than, say, most INTJs. (Nothing against INTJs or anything.)
    I'm really interested in dream theory/analyzing for the same reason. I've found using this has helped me to express myself more easily on paper and in art. I tend to pick out certain images I have in my dreams that I think can be freeze framed to explain something important to me in my waking life. I had always thought it was Ni-digging deeper to find a meaning. But then again, Carl Jung is often typed as an INxP, I believe. My dream journal is mostly a collection of drawings, and thanks to this practice, I often try to work it the other way around, too.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

brainheart

I'm really interested in dream theory/analyzing for the same reason. I've found using this has helped me to express myself more easily on paper and in art. I tend to pick out certain images I have in my dreams that I think can be freeze framed to explain something important to me in my waking life. I had always thought it was Ni-digging deeper to find a meaning. But then again, Carl Jung is often typed as an INxP, I believe. My dream journal is mostly a collection of drawings, and thanks to this practice, I often try to work it the other way around, too.
    But your dreams are coming from you (Ni). I'm talking about a picture I saw and connecting it to my internal (Ne to explain Fi). Sometimes I get stuff from dreams, but for the most part it seems like Ni users are way more into dream analysis than Ne users. Typically I'm more interested in the feeling of a dream than what it symbolizes.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Susah View Post

What do people think? Have you had 'deeper' relationships with Sensors?
    Well, I am a sensor and I CRAVE deep meaningful relationships. I struggle with relationships stay on the surface, they can sometimes feel pointless. This is probably why the vast majority of my friends are Ns.... Granted, I only favor sensing ever so slightly. But, still. My ISFJ roommate is the one I feel like I have the shallowest relationship with. But I have always attributed this to how shy and emotionally guarded she is, not a lack of depth.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Well, I am a sensor and I CRAVE deep meaningful relationships. I struggle with relationships stay on the surface, they can sometimes feel pointless. This is probably why the vast majority of my friends are Ns.... Granted, I only favor sensing ever so slightly. But, still. My ISFJ roommate is the one I feel like I have the shallowest relationship with. But I have always attributed this to how shy and emotionally guarded she is, not a lack of depth.
    I think this may actually be more indicative of being a sexual instinct. I was going to say a feeling type, but I'm certain thinking types must crave this, too. I'm sure someone here would probably know better than I would. But this isn't the pervading school of thought, is it? That sensors detest meaningful relationships?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Thanks guys that's really helpful! Great to actually hear from some sensors as well.

I do like the idea that it is to some extent a question of being able to verbalise...

(Also IndyAnnaJoan: I absolutely adore your picture!)

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

You're so unique and special. Forget about those sensor plebians.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I think this may actually be more indicative of being a sexual instinct. I was going to say a feeling type, but I'm certain thinking types must crave this, too. I'm sure someone here would probably know better than I would. But this isn't the pervading school of thought, is it? That sensors detest meaningful relationships?
    No I've never thought that but I think you might hear an intuitive say that and mean that they want their partner to understand them in ways others do not. Often being an intuitive can make you feel like you're not speaking the same language as everyone else so there's a deeper connection felt when someone actually gets it or you.

Know what I mean?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i believe that no one's completely n or completely s
    this^

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've been told by a few people IRL that I'm "deep" and it's always baffled me...isn't everyone deep? Humans are such wonderfully complex creatures. It's just that not everyone bothers to go past the superficial layers. But there's always something under there, if you actually look for it. Many people don't, I've found.

Of course, maybe everyone else only seems deep to me because I'm just a simple sensor.

I do understand what you mean by wanting a deeper relationship, though. Some people don't really share their inner selves with a partner, even after a long time dating. I suspect that'd be correlated with I and S, perhaps Fi as well. My last relationship was kinda like that, despite all my efforts - I don't think there's much you can do to get someone to share the deeper parts of themselves if it's very against their nature. However, I think there are intuitives like that, and sensors who are not like that. I wouldn't rule out this guy just yet. MBTI isn't really intended for that kind of thing anyway - it's more of an understanding/communicating tool than a filtering tool.
    -end of thread-