123 Last

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Default How would one go about starting a small town in the middle of nowhere?

An idea of mine is to found a small town and see if I can run it better than what I've observed in my home town. Is this a crazy idea?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

ndovjtjcaqidthi

So, you wanna be a cult leader? You're not charismatic enough.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i have always wanted to design a lil town too haha isn't that weird kind of. i mean it seems like a weird thing to want to do. you want to run it tho? i totally don't. i just want to design it and make all the rules haha but have someone else do it.

not rules really...but like oh wait no...i just realized how much fun i could have with the rules bit actually. okay i'm keeping it
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i have always wanted to design a lil town too haha isn't that weird kind of. i mean it seems like a weird thing to want to do. you want to run it tho? i totally don't. i just want to design it and make all the rules haha but have someone else do it.

not rules really...but like oh wait no...i just realized how much fun i could have with the rules bit actually. okay i'm keeping it
    I know what you mean...
    I got the idea when I was watching a sci-fi movie.
    One of the characters was the mayor of a tiny town--the movie said less than 1,000 residents. She delegated the more banal responsibilities to a council, and kept the design and public event responsibilities for herself. It was in this beautiful mountain setting, and she ran a small, rarely busy, coffee shop when she wasn't acting as mayor. I thought to myself, "Why not?"
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    So, you wanna be a cult leader? You're not charismatic enough.
    No, I just want to be in my own little bubble universe where everything turns out OK, and I can focus on maximizing the freedoms and happiness of the people who choose to live in said bubble...
    Bubbles are quite fun, if you know what I mean...
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

WALMART

Was the film Dante's Peak?

If Stephen King ever taught me anything, it's that society is always fucked.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    No, I just want to be in my own little bubble universe where everything turns out OK
    Lol, good luck with that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

What? You mean like, find a plot of land in the middle of nowhere and take it from there, or just have a hypothetical ghost town with buildings and resources already laid out for you?

Either way, I have a feeling that if you wanna lead people in this day and age, you gotta offer em' something really special in return, or else why would they flock to your society when they already have food, shelter, cops, doctors and people much more experienced in the field of economics and politics running the show already provided for them? Maybe if you gathered up a ragtag group of charismatic hobos and offered em' free loaves of bread and a booze top up for their brown paper bags in becoming guinea pigs for your potential Utopia, but still, I just don't see it happening. I'd give that scenario five days tops, before shit turns Lord of the Flies and outside military forces are forced to deal with the inevitable clusterfuck of burning beards and guys being impaled on the ends of broken whiskey bottles.

I can see where you're coming from with all this though; the idea of a clean slate and starting from scratch. Sounds like a nice little idea in theory, having a nice little community to care for, where everybody knows everybody and we all just do our best to get along. Still, you gotta remember the needs and goals of the individual are far too complex to provide in a specific sense and you just know people are gonna come along and challenge you for leadership status at the first pitfall without proper means of control or just get fed up and bail before the idea would ever even clear the runway.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    An idea of mine is to found a small town and see if I can run it better than what I've observed in my home town. Is this a crazy idea?
    Not Crazy.

And yea,I guest it might sound cult-ish I suppose. Meh. All you have to do to not be cult-ish is be able to go with popular demand and maybe backpedal once in a while.

What you need is to find your first follower. ha ha

Like this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=181613065374758

The first follower will bring thier friends! lol

Problem is you need to get people that are kinda like minded.

You can't have a buncha upset people. Gotta be a people pleaser. Gotta be able to make reasonable compromises. And not make compromises when you shouldn't.

Simply said you can't have a bunch of umbrella policies for everyone. You may have to be more accomodating than that.

That is...if you're going to keep it small. Or at least start out small.

I don't have any info on how one goes about getting through the legalities and such...but when you start your town...take me with you please.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I've always wanted to rule my own country. I KNOW I could run it better than everyone else's country.

I'm not sure how you'd go about forming your own town, though. There'd be problems with whatever local districts, townships, and counties; needless to say, rights over natural resources vis a vis surrounding communities and issues with any prior existing population and their land rights. You'd also have to find enough people to join, and provide them all jobs, for which you'd need a shitload of infrastructure. To name just a few.

Israel is a pretty good example of what happens when people try to do this.

You might want to focus on buying some property and forming a commune. Good luck!!