• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How would one go about starting a small town in the middle of nowhere?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An idea of mine is to found a small town and see if I can run it better than what I've observed in my home town. Is this a crazy idea?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

So, you wanna be a cult leader? You're not charismatic enough.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have always wanted to design a lil town too haha isn't that weird kind of. i mean it seems like a weird thing to want to do. you want to run it tho? i totally don't. i just want to design it and make all the rules haha but have someone else do it.

not rules really...but like oh wait no...i just realized how much fun i could have with the rules bit actually. okay i'm keeping it

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i have always wanted to design a lil town too haha isn't that weird kind of. i mean it seems like a weird thing to want to do. you want to run it tho? i totally don't. i just want to design it and make all the rules haha but have someone else do it.

not rules really...but like oh wait no...i just realized how much fun i could have with the rules bit actually. okay i'm keeping it

I know what you mean...
I got the idea when I was watching a sci-fi movie.
One of the characters was the mayor of a tiny town--the movie said less than 1,000 residents. She delegated the more banal responsibilities to a council, and kept the design and public event responsibilities for herself. It was in this beautiful mountain setting, and she ran a small, rarely busy, coffee shop when she wasn't acting as mayor. I thought to myself, "Why not?"

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, you wanna be a cult leader? You're not charismatic enough.
No, I just want to be in my own little bubble universe where everything turns out OK, and I can focus on maximizing the freedoms and happiness of the people who choose to live in said bubble...
Bubbles are quite fun, if you know what I mean...

W

WALMART

Was the film Dante's Peak?

If Stephen King ever taught me anything, it's that society is always fucked.

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What? You mean like, find a plot of land in the middle of nowhere and take it from there, or just have a hypothetical ghost town with buildings and resources already laid out for you?

Either way, I have a feeling that if you wanna lead people in this day and age, you gotta offer em' something really special in return, or else why would they flock to your society when they already have food, shelter, cops, doctors and people much more experienced in the field of economics and politics running the show already provided for them? Maybe if you gathered up a ragtag group of charismatic hobos and offered em' free loaves of bread and a booze top up for their brown paper bags in becoming guinea pigs for your potential Utopia, but still, I just don't see it happening. I'd give that scenario five days tops, before shit turns Lord of the Flies and outside military forces are forced to deal with the inevitable clusterfuck of burning beards and guys being impaled on the ends of broken whiskey bottles.

I can see where you're coming from with all this though; the idea of a clean slate and starting from scratch. Sounds like a nice little idea in theory, having a nice little community to care for, where everybody knows everybody and we all just do our best to get along. Still, you gotta remember the needs and goals of the individual are far too complex to provide in a specific sense and you just know people are gonna come along and challenge you for leadership status at the first pitfall without proper means of control or just get fed up and bail before the idea would ever even clear the runway.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An idea of mine is to found a small town and see if I can run it better than what I've observed in my home town. Is this a crazy idea?

Not Crazy.

And yea,I guest it might sound cult-ish I suppose. Meh. All you have to do to not be cult-ish is be able to go with popular demand and maybe backpedal once in a while.

What you need is to find your first follower. ha ha

Like this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=181613065374758

The first follower will bring thier friends! lol

Problem is you need to get people that are kinda like minded.

You can't have a buncha upset people. Gotta be a people pleaser. Gotta be able to make reasonable compromises. And not make compromises when you shouldn't.

Simply said you can't have a bunch of umbrella policies for everyone. You may have to be more accomodating than that.

That is...if you're going to keep it small. Or at least start out small.

I don't have any info on how one goes about getting through the legalities and such...but when you start your town...take me with you please.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've always wanted to rule my own country. I KNOW I could run it better than everyone else's country.

I'm not sure how you'd go about forming your own town, though. There'd be problems with whatever local districts, townships, and counties; needless to say, rights over natural resources vis a vis surrounding communities and issues with any prior existing population and their land rights. You'd also have to find enough people to join, and provide them all jobs, for which you'd need a shitload of infrastructure. To name just a few.

Israel is a pretty good example of what happens when people try to do this.

You might want to focus on buying some property and forming a commune. Good luck!!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always wanted to rule my own country. I KNOW I could run it better than everyone else's country.

I'm not sure how you'd go about forming your own town, though. There'd be problems with whatever local districts, townships, and counties; needless to say, rights over natural resources vis a vis surrounding communities and issues with any prior existing population and their land rights. You'd also have to find enough people to join, and provide them all jobs, for which you'd need a shitload of infrastructure. To name just a few.

Israel is a pretty good example of what happens when people try to do this.

You might want to focus on buying some property and forming a commune. Good luck!!

It appears that all I need is at least 75 people to go out and and settle, then get 50% signatures from those 75 people...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It appears that all I need is at least 75 people to go out and and settle, then get 50% signatures from those 75 people...

A commune then. 75 people can really fuck up your bubble though.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Aren't there ghost towns you can buy? Wait. Here's a list.
Edit:
If you started out with a place that you can dig functional wells and use septic systems, that might be helpful. So maybe not someplace real far west. And then you'd need a way to bring in money from outside and an online business of some kind would probably be the best bet for that. You'd have to get internet access set up somehow. I don't know how hard it would be to get an electric plant set up. Maybe an old coal mining town or use solar or wind?

The farthest I've ever got thinking about that kind of thing was a family compound, which I can't imagine ever getting over 50 people. At this rate, it looks like we'll be lucky to get to twenty. I thought of buying an old roadside hotel or trailer park or camp ground.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram

What is it with social 7w6s and wanting to do a better job ruling a town or the world lol??

Has anyone else come across this before?

That being said, I think it's a great idea and I write & fantasize about such things very often. I won't elaborate much here but there will be some ideas in my novel when its published.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

The word design, to me, in this context, implies wanting to control and or caring. I lack both of these qualities when it comes to unknown others.

That said I really love me a good RTS or turn based + RTS strategy game where I get to call the shots and work towards world domination, i.e. Dawn of War, Total War, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc.

Real people... not so much.

May I suggest a hobby in PC gaming to work out these urges? :D

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The word design, to me, in this context, implies wanting to control and or caring. I lack both of these qualities when it comes to unknown others.

That said I really love me a good RTS or turn based + RTS strategy game where I get to call the shots and work towards world domination, i.e. Dawn of War, Total War, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc.

Real people... not so much.

May I suggest a hobby in PC gaming to work out these urges? :D

I used to be very a very avid fan of PC games for that reason, though now I feel it is time to make it reality. Imagine a community based on happiness, rather than whatever most communities are based on. John Stuart Mill is a good read. I have libertarian-leanings, myself--so controlling other people too much would make me a bit of a hypocrite, don't you suppose?

What is it with social 7w6s and wanting to do a better job ruling a town or the world lol??

Has anyone else come across this before?

That being said, I think it's a great idea and I write & fantasize about such things very often. I won't elaborate much here but there will be some ideas in my novel when its published.
You write, too?
I am trying to get my novelette published as we speak.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I could start a crazy town in the middle of nowhere. I can round up all the crazy people- there's a lot of them in my world- and put them there and see how they fare. (And then I will get the FLOCK outa there!)

:rofl1:

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

To get a town?

So I guess you'd have to find 75 people who'd like to settle in a new place and want to create a new town. Maybe you could get a group to take over some crap corporate headquarters or something and townify it.

I agree with [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION], though--you should utilize wind and solar as your electricity forms. It's the way of the future!! You could be in charge of the first sustainable city!