• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs: are you boring?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In discussing non-INTPs over at that other board, one poster commented that he found NFs kind of dull.

I can see why this statement is made, some NFs will never do anything that rocks the boat or take a controversial position to avoid offending others.

I don't agree with this, I find other aspects of NFs very interesting.

But I wonder, do you view yourself as boring? Non-NFs, do you find NFs boring?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just finally noticed the name of this sector (to use SW phrasing): The NF Idyllic

I can see how that image is a bit dull.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think I'm boring. I don't lead an exciting life full of controversy, but I'm probably too enthusiastic to be boring. If anything, I cause a lot of people to think "she needs to just...calm the hell down...it's only an idea..."

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Extroverted NFs can be very enjoyable company, often earning the center of attention. Two friends, as close to INFP as could be, have fine senses of humor; one of them is the only girl who can make me heartily laugh out loud.

What was this poster's experiential basis for the claim?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extroverted NFs can be very enjoyable company, often earning the center of attention. Two friends, as close to INFP as could be, have fine senses of humor; one of them is the only girl who can make me heartily laugh out loud.

See the linkback at the bottom of the page.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey, I did say to be fair that every ENFP and ENFJ I've known was great fun. It's just that some INF's I've known have been that way, the whole "if you haven't anything nice to say then don't say anything" vibe... gets annoying when you actually want to get to know someone - all of them, including their negative side. Or just to be able to judge for yourself what parts of them you consider negative - but they'll only share their fluffy side.

Like I said 'over there', it's not so much that I think the INFJ that I mentioned is actually boring - she has a personality alright, and she's intelligent - but God knows what it takes for her to actually feel like showing it!!

Chaselation

MBTI Type
INTP

Reading the OP it would seem the poster doesn't agree with the claim but wants the NF's opinion on it.

For my own part the NF's (very few) I've met ask me questions I wouldn't ask myself so I find that much interesting.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like I said 'over there', it's not so much that I think the INFJ that I mentioned is actually boring - she has a personality alright, and she's intelligent - but God knows what it takes for her to actually feel like showing it!!
Yes, there are two types of boring, those that have nothing going on inside and those that refuse to show it.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Hey, I did say to be fair that every ENFP and ENFJ I've known was great fun. It's just that some INF's I've known --
Cancel alarm, MacGuffin.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I think you're projecting.*

*I don't know what that means, but I like writing it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't find NFs boring myself, but I will occasionally exaggerate something just to get a rise out of them on the forums.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I think you're projecting. I don't know what that means, but I like writing it.
No, that's the right track. It reads like conjecture someone might be tempted to follow if they had an eye for a certain, say, INFJ. Nothing wrong with that; it's just not exactly scientific.

Edit:
I don't find NFs boring myself, but I will occasionally exaggerate something just to get a rise out of them on the forums.
Nice save.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
No, that's the right track. It reads like conjecture someone might be tempted to follow if they had an eye for a certain, say, INFJ. Nothing wrong with that; it's just not exactly scientific.
;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm probably boring, but rarely bored.

Edit: I've had way more excitement in life than I ever really wanted, so boring holds a decent amount of appeal to me.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Edit: I've had way more excitement in life than I ever really wanted, so boring holds a decent amount of appeal to me.

I'm a NT, not NF, but yeah, this is me (although I'd add safety to boredom too).

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd say I've had more excitement in my 30 years than most people ever have in their lives, but it doesn't make me want boredom or safety. I still wanna be on the rollercoaster - I just wanna make sure I'm steering, that's all.

The INFJ I know (the boring one) says the same thing as you cafe, but from what she's told me about her life, it seems most of the 'interesting' (read 'bad') things happened to her because she was too passive and wouldn't stand up for herself for fear of rousing conflict, so people being the assholes they can be, figured they could get away with it and did it more.

By contrast, looking back over my life, the conflict has arisen when bad things have happened to me for reasons out of my control, and I've refused to lie down and take it, or when people have tried to exploit me and I've refused to let them.

But this has sorta been lifted out of the context in which I was originally talking about it. There was talk on INTPc (a lot of it lately) about excluding non-INTP's and especially NF's, for various reasons chief among which was that they bring unwelcome (to some) elements into INTP world. I've consistently argued against excluding NF's and for their contributions, but I did suggest today that as an NT, the only objection I might raise to NF's from my experience was that they can be really boring, but that's not a good enough reason to hate them or kick them off a board.

The 'boring' element I referred to was meant in the context of 'boring compared to the perceived ideal atmosphere on an INTP or NT board'.

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think it depends on the person. My friend John (J1129) is an INFJ, and he is far from boring. We always have a great time when we hang out. On the other hand, I find one of my friends extremely boring, despite him being an ENFP. We bonded because of music, but our conversations don't really go beyond that (and trust me- I've tried). My good friend and her boyfriend are both INFPs, and I find them rather boring at times. In my expierences, I've had a lot awkward silences with each of these NFs, but I always try to fill them.

MBTI Type
ENTP

this is why I like NFs, I find NTs much more interesting, but NFs are relaxing.