User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think I'm pretty guarded which turns out to be boring at times. I've made the occasional off-color (for me) joke and surprised a lot of people who thought I had no edge at all.

Enneagram
    1w2

It depends on what the people in question define as boring. When I'm with my NF friends, we tend to talk about relationships, people, feelings, society, culture, politics stuff like that. I don't think that's boring at all and I'm most definitely not afraid to rock the boat (in a good-natured way) if it contributes to discussion.

Now when I'm ready to go out and have fun, I don't look for my INF friends, I go and find my ENFs and ESFs. This is when I'd split between INF and ENF. I've had lots of good times with my ENF friends when the INFs were ready to call it a night. I find this boring. Hanging out for long periods of time exhausting to them, just like sitting inside is exhausting for me, so I just chalk it up to introversion/extroversion differences.

And make your own damn excitement, I don't expect people to entertain me. When I'm bored, I make something happen that makes me un-bored. If you're bored then you're boring.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    But I wonder, do you view yourself as boring? Non-NFs, do you find NFs boring?
    I find myself entertaining and keep myself busy with stimulating conversations and projects.

Do others find me boring? meh

As a general rule, I have found that the people who talk the most about 'this is boring, or this person is boring, etc. are the ones that are actually boring to me, and I'm not easily bored by people or situations.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I wondered if the introverted NFs would define the question as to whether they found themselves boring as opposed to other people.

Nice dodges!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

IRL, people find me more weird than boring. Except my ESXP friend. She finds me boring, but I think it's because I don't like WWF .
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I wondered if the introverted NFs would define the question as to whether they found themselves boring as opposed to other people.

Nice dodges!
    I suspect I could be considered boring to people who value hollering and punching, revving their engines, screaming and flashing people, dancing on tables, belching and farting out tunes, etcetera, etcetera. What of it?

The term 'boring' is typically used in the context of whining from what I understand of it. My typical response to 'boring' talk is to start slapping folks.
    (from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I suspect I could be considered boring to people who value hollering and punching, revving their engines, screaming and flashing people, dancing on tables, belching and farting out tunes, etcetera, etcetera. What of it?

The term 'boring' is typically used in the context of whining from what I understand of it.
    If that's the case, then I'm boring also.

And saying someone is boring is not always the result of whining. I've met some legitimately boring people. Very dry personalities. Usually I'm willing and able to cajole them into opening up a little, but these are lost causes. Being in contact with people like that drains me of my energy.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    If that's the case, then I'm boring also.

And saying someone is boring is not always the result of whining. I've met some legitimately boring people. Very dry personalities. Usually I'm willing and able to cajole them into opening up a little, but these are lost causes. Being in contact with people like that drains me of my energy.
    I'm sure it's not always the case, but often is. Take for example the character of Toby from The Office...

Really dull people are hilarious and often cute. You just have to be like silly puddy, able to adapt to different types of people and maximize your potential with them. Dull people give you something to play off of. What if everyone was entertaining - a bit too much?

(from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I'm sure it's not always the case, but often is. Take for example the character of Toby from The Office...

Really dull people are hilarious and often cute. You just have to be like silly puddy, able to adapt to different types of people and maximize your potential with them. Dull people give you something to play off of. What if everyone was entertaining - a bit too much?
    Dull people on sitcoms are cute, interacting with a person like that daily is a drain. I'm usually willing to deal with dull personalities but there are a few people running around in the world with little to no personality, even if you look really hard with a electromagnetic microscope. I'd say those people are boring.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm not drained by interacting with "boring" people. Actually, it's the "life of the party" types who drain me and I often find them boring. But I am perfectly aware that a lot of that has to do with the values and preferences heavily influenced by type. I wonder if other people throwing around the term "that's boring" realize that your perception of boring is heavily influenced by temperament and type.

For example, I typically find TPs to be incredibly boring, especially ENTPs. They're forgettable to me. I recently figured out that this is because a lot of the things they say (sarcastic rejoinders, witty commentary, words said only to rile other people up) have very little value to me. It bores me because I don't value it, and a lot of why I don't value it has to do with my own personality preferences, strengths and weaknesses.

On the other hand, I am 100% sure that some people must find me to be boring. I usually sit and say little, just kind of smile and observe and enjoy the atmosphere (or walk out if I don't like the atmosphere). I am an interesting conversationalist, but I don't initiate many conversations. I rarely have anything negative to say about people. I happen to find positive observations about people to be very interesting, and bad people bore me.

And yeah, it's more important to me if I am boring myself than if some random NT finds me boring. I don't exist to entertain them. But that's a lot of my Fi speaking.