User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default telling Fi from Fe based on smile and eyes

this may seem somewhat crazy but i have this idea that you can get a vague idea of a feeler's primary or secondary functional attitude based on the way they smile and their eyes while smiling.

it may be just me but i've noticed for a bit now that extraverted feelers' smile seems, i don't want to say forced but definitely more formal than a introverted feeler's smile. as if, the Fi person's smile is more playful or casual. with the eyes too i've noticed a trend where when a Fe person smiles their eyes kinda stay wide or go wider and when a Fi person smiles they more often do the opposite and i guess "smile with their eyes."

maybe this only applies when taking pictures or in a work setting as opposed to when hanging out with friends or w/e but yeah. i figure it's something worth running by you guys to see just how crazy i am :p

i'm bringing this up btw because i met what i *think* was an enfj the other day and i decided to revisit the topic and possibly get some feedback.

edit
    just to be clear i love both ways of smiling. there's no right or wrong way to do it... the only wrong thing to do you could say would be to not smile when the situation warrents it or if thats just how you feel.

one thing in particular i like about Fe primary or secondary people is that i don't have to always reflect their smile back at them for them to keep it up. it's like once they know i like them that assumption is more or less set in stone so i can be my usual self, which is to say not bursting with emotional energy but rather giving my subtle hints of affection, and that doesn't affect their energy towards me to the same degree as a Fi primary or secondary person.

example would be the other day i was buying some new shirts (amazing for me) and the girl at the cash register came at me with a nice smile and some enthusiasm (esfp i would guess) and i just kind of ignored it since i wasn't in the best frame of mind at the time. after that while ringing me up she went totally cold and i felt like a big asshole for not returning the smile and ruining this little encounter. anyways, this edit has gone on long enough to i'll just finish it here.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wow, you're totally blowing my mind, dude.

One more thing to try to observe in people. Too bad I'm the only one left at work today.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESTJ

Nice job, this topic was enough to get a lurker like me to post.

The phrase you just used "smile with your eyes," I was told i do this many times when I worked as a cashier. I had no clue what it meant but people said it like it was a good thing. Whether or not this applies to all Fi Dominate types is unclear but I do tend to do this.

Something interesting to think about is if most introverts do this rather than just introverted feelers. How do you smile as a Ti Dominant?

MBTI
    ENFP

hah i have a bunch of photos of me and an INFP friend and i'm looking them over now..
    MTBI:E/INFP...Socionics:ENFP...7w6 sx/so...Autonomy, Caution, Perceptiveness...

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    it may be just me but i've noticed for a bit now that extraverted feelers' smile seems, i don't want to say forced but definitely more formal than a introverted feeler's smile. as if, the Fi person's smile is more playful or casual. with the eyes too i've noticed a trend where when a Fe person smiles their eyes kinda stay wide or go wider and when a Fi person smiles they more often do the opposite and i guess "smile with their eyes."
    Agreed, particularly with the bolded parts. There is this one INFP I know (albeit an INFP-in-denial-about-their-type), who smiles brightly with their eyes. Many FPs also have this way of communicating through them as well.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INFJ

I know 3 ENFJs (Fe) that have very informal laughs and smiles. They sound and look like gleeful, giggling children when they are moved to laughter.

When I smile I don't open my eyes, I smile with my cheeks which makes my eyes squint. Then again, I also know how to fake a genuine smile so that could be it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Interesting topic, though I'm not sure how much this relates to Fi/Fe. Uptight people tend to look like their facial expressions are more forced. And I've noticed that Fe tends to be more uptight than Fi, so maybe there is something to this? *shrugs*

I've been given the nickname 'smiles' more than once in my life. I have plenty of Fi and almost no Fe.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    I know 3 ENFJs (Fe) that have very informal laughs and smiles. They sound and look like gleeful, giggling children when they are moved to laughter.

When I smile I don't open my eyes, I smile with my cheeks which makes my eyes squint. Then again, I also know how to fake a genuine smile so that could be it.
    yeah, i think the thing i'm getting at mainly is times when you're supposed to smile or i dunno. maybe a better way to say it is like what you said... Fe types are more likely to give a certain type of smile but can do both whereas Fi types most the times inclinded do it one way.

or it could not be related at all to type... i need to get more first person input really.

MBTI
    FiSi

My mother is an ESFJ and her smile is always very tense. Her eyes widen so that they seem to pop out.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Why the hell has Heart not posted in this thread yet?

For what it is worth, no I don't think one can tell Fi from Fe based on smile and eyes, or I can't anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.