• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Ask an INFP

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ask me anything, and you shall receive an answer.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
do you get lost in make believe conversations in your head all day long?

Standuble

Do you personally embrace the transformation of an imagined concept/fantasy entity into a real world object e.g. writing a novel or do you find it distasteful?

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
do you get lost in make believe conversations in your head all day long?

I think everyone has a deep conversation with themselves that goes on throughout their life, regardless of their type. As for the conversations I have, I don't tend to get lost in them. If you've been engaging yourself for awhile you know how it works. Sometimes I lose sight of petty things around me, like forgetting to put a dryer sheet in the dryer or forgetting to turn off my cell phone. But I think to a certain extend everybody does those things. It's not limited to a type.

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Do you personally embrace the transformation of an imagined concept/fantasy entity into a real world object e.g. writing a novel or do you find it distasteful?

I'm not really a novelist. I used to write short scripts for an online writing competition, but other than that my writing has been pretty limited besides some non-fiction rants. I think it's easier to clarify your thoughts writing them down than saying them, however, and I'm a decent writer in that regard. Just not novels. I appreciate others that are able to do it, but I don't have the concentration for it currently.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think that you might have been an ENFP. Before some kind of mega event happened in your life?

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have always been an introvert that didn't get much out of having a lot of people around. I think there have been events in my life, without getting too much into detail, that may have made me more introverted and even less extroverted, however.

B

brainheart

When you encounter another INFP out in the real world do you recognize them as such pretty much immediately? Do you find that you give each other knowing looks?

Also, do wise-looking toddlers stare at you in public places and do you find yourself engaging in a conversation with them via the eyes? Do you find that they are fascinated and excited by this, like finally an adult speaks their language and treats them as an equal?

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you ever look at your cognitive functions and think of them as a very dysfunctional family?

Also, what's your favorite breakfast cereal?

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you like to think objectively?

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How traditional can INFPs get?

How important is family structure to INFPs?

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] [MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Sultan of Beans[/MENTION] [MENTION=18559]Inis Mona[/MENTION] [MENTION=16650]Morning Star[/MENTION] [MENTION=22547]lulabelle[/MENTION] [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] [MENTION=14594]xenaprincess[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22409]Sultan of Beans[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18559]Inis Mona[/MENTION]
[MENTION=16650]Morning Star[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22547]lulabelle[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

I'm personally very traditional when it comes to things like valuing committed monogamy. Not in the sense that I think everyone should live like this because it's not up to me to decide that, but in the sense that I personally find a committed monogamous relationship ideal.

Also, I would eventually like to have lots of kids. I guess that's sort of traditional.

I do value logic. In fact, I enjoy reading and learning about various types of logical fallacies.

But logic needs to be used with wisdom, like everything. :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know enough INFPs to say. I think you get quite a spectrum, but even the most traditional have an offbeat twist of some kind.

Personally speaking, my default state is semi-traditional and then I find myself asking why the hell I'm doing things that way at all. It's boring and doesn't reflect me much, so I'm usually moving away from its various manifestations, even if only in small ways. I can feel the need to deliberately do things differently just so I don't feel boxed in. Even so I like to keep some things the same way for the sake of sentimentality.

Again, I don't know many INFPs to speak for all of them. Family structure is important to me because that is what I grew up with.

These are very general questions that are hard to answer. I'm not sure I'm even interpreting the words in the way they were meant. :shrug:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Yes. I am especially fond of analytical breakdown and comparison. However, like @Sultan of Beans voiced, I try to use objectivity wisely. I easily acknowledge that my thinking skills are more honed in the subjective realms, because that's what I tend to focus on and care about more, but objectivity is a tool that often helps me.

Probably some could get very traditional, but the determining factor would probably be whether or not the tradition is seen as being in line with the INFP's values or not. If the tradition never crosses a problematic line, they may well keep on with it or even augment it. If it does cross a line, the INFP will probably either change it to make it more aligned with their values or reject it all together.

Personally I especially love holiday traditions with their focus on family, relaxation, appreciation, enjoyment, and decorating so that everywhere feels festive. I appreciate a lot of traditions just for the little bit of variation they provide - like casual Fridays at work. I've also established some traditions of my own. What I mean by changing the traditions to meet one's own values - like I was raised Catholic, and I don't believe most Catholic beliefs, but on Halloween night and All Saints' Day I'll still light a candle and say a few words and spend some time thinking about those I loved who have passed on, because I think it's a good idea to have a day for remembrance of them.

I can't speak for the group on this one either, and I'm not entirely sure what you mean. For myself, I eventually would like to have a husband and kids, the standard hetero 2-parent model. I had a very happy childhood with my own family being of that model, and my boyfriend did too, so if we end up getting married and having kids I know both of us would like to recreate that. But who knows, maybe that won't happen. Maybe my current relationship won't work out and I'll fall in love with a woman, or maybe I'll decide to be single and adopt a child. I'm not closed to any possibility.

I think I don't really care about family model. I care that the parent feels like they have enough time, energy, and resources to both provide for their kids and to take care of themselves, so I lean towards 2-parent families being preferable, but that's often just not possible. And if one parent feels like they're happy raising a child on their own, then more power to them. I care that the kids have supportive people they can learn from and lean on. The specific structure itself doesn't matter to me as long as everyone's happy and healthy.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22409]Sultan of Beans[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18559]Inis Mona[/MENTION]
[MENTION=16650]Morning Star[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22547]lulabelle[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

I've been raised in a traditional family structure, though my siblings and I picked up on both traditional and 'modern' ideals as we grew up.

I personally value a committed, monogamous relationship, along with a family structure where morals regarding basic human rights are taught. I also feel that spouses should treat each other as equals, supporting each other and tuning in to each other's needs. Both can earn for the family as well, and still be able to raise their children - it might not be easy at first, but it's totally possible.

And while I may teach my future kids about the importance of education and spirituality (in general that is, regardless of religion), it doesn't matter to me what religious/non-religious preferences they may have, as long as they're ultimately true to themselves and their beliefs. :)

Hmm... as for things like family get-togethers and holiday celebrations, I'm not such a biggie on that, and will usually celebrate holidays with just my immediate family in our humble abode. But if we ever have guests come over, I'll be as hospitable as I can towards them.

If I've missed anything else, please let me know. :)

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Hi! :)

Help me understand youuu! Do you guys agree or disagree with this statement? If you agree, would you change something or you think it's pretty spot on?

I feel generally good about all people, but am afraid they could let me down. I don't necessarily like people more as I get closer to them, I just trust them better and feel more secure with them. I usually don't even know I dislike people until they've let me down or done something that hurt/offended me. It catches me by surprise a lot of the time. I'll have thought, or wanted to believe that they were better than that.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi! :)

Help me understand youuu! Do you guys agree or disagree with this statement? If you agree, would you change something or you think it's pretty spot on?

I feel generally good about all people, but am afraid they could let me down. I don't necessarily like people more as I get closer to them, I just trust them better and feel more secure with them. I usually don't even know I dislike people until they've let me down or done something that hurt/offended me. It catches me by surprise a lot of the time. I'll have thought, or wanted to believe that they were better than that.

Nah, I can't really relate to this. I'd say I love and appreciate humanity as a whole, but I tend to be pretty judgemental of individuals and don't approve of a lot of people from the beginning. I'm more pleasantly surprised if someone is a good person.

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Nah, I can't really relate to this. I'd say I love and appreciate humanity as a whole, but I tend to be pretty judgemental of individuals and don't approve of a lot of people from the beginning. I'm more pleasantly surprised if someone is a good person.

Uh huh uh huh. I see. Are there types of people you immediately recognize as preferable? What's it like with those people, like what makes you really realize, oh, this person is awesome?

Also do you mean good as in a decent person or good as in someone you like/are those interchangeable?