• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Is INFP the "perfect" type? - All hail the idiosyncratic dreamers of new worlds!

Is INFP the "perfect" type?

• Total voters

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The one I parent is a little like possessing Michigan J. Frog: people who don't live with her often do believe her perfect. Not that she isn't mighty close.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The one I parent is a little like possessing Michigan J. Frog: people who don't live with her often do believe her perfect. Not that she isn't mighty close.

:happy2: I didn't realize Michigan J. Frog had a name! That's a great INFP analogy.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My new theory on truth is that what's meaningful is more true to the heart than what's true in reality. So the ideal is greater than what's there, essentially.

Does this idea of mine resonate with the INFPs here?

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that any and every type can be the perfect type given they are healthy and in their element.

You may have been joking, but deep down, INFJs seem to believe this, and those MBTI profiles do a hell of a job selling your BS to everyone else. If this thread was about INFJs, it would be backed with praise from others & false humility from INFJs. Only an INFP will really try to convince you they (the INFP) actually a defective ass. Well, maybe some ISFPs too.

I will admit it. IMO Ni doms can be full of themselves. I will even go as far as to admit that I can be that way. I agree that it is in part due to false praise.( Not to justify it) There is also rarity and the nature of the beast itself to consider but...

:greatscott: THE IRONY!!!... I mean did that just happen?? Are you really accusing one type of false humility while seemingly bragging about how truly humble your type is (along with ISFPs).There may be some truth to that but there was no way I could’ve let that slide. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but c'mon. There was not a single humble remark in that post period!! LOL You know what INFPs would have to be truly humble because they obviously would suck at false humility if it was an everyday occurrence... LOL :worthy: Forgive us "Ni snowflakes". Please show us the way of the truly humble INFP. :worthy:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that any and every type can be the perfect type given they are healthy and in their element.

I will admit it. IMO Ni doms can be full of themselves. I will even go as far as to admit that I can be that way. I agree that it is in part due to false praise.( Not to justify it) There is also rarity and the nature of the beast itself to consider but...

:greatscott: THE IRONY!!!... I mean did that just happen?? Are you really accusing one type of false humility while seemingly bragging about how truly humble your type is (along with ISFPs).There may be some truth to that but there was no way I could’ve let that slide. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but c'mon. There was not a single humble remark in that post period!! LOL You know what INFPs would have to be truly humble because they obviously would suck at false humility if it was an everyday occurrence... LOL :worthy: forgive us "Ni snowflakes". Please show us the way of the truly humble INFP. :worthy:

And didn't I just convince you I'm really a defective ass?

Please...

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And didn't I just convince you I'm really a defective ass?

Please...

No…you have convinced me that you are trying to assert you are somehow superior because you admit you are defective lol. That on some level other types are more defective in that they are defective and don't know it. You on the other hand are above disillusionment. So in being aware of your defectiveness you are somehow less defective. I wasn’t convinced of anything before but now I am almost certain. lol:newwink:

Standuble

My new theory on truth is that what's meaningful is more true to the heart than what's true in reality. So the ideal is greater than what's there, essentially.

Does this idea of mine resonate with the INFPs here?

I would say so. Though I personally see the tendency (in myself at least) to elevate some things above others as a weakness in many ways (though a necessary evil.)
[MENTION=17164]iNtrovert[/MENTION] - your post smells of "st00pid". I think OA is saying that INFPs can't afford to overlook what they have observed in themselves whilst INFJs can (or will fail to observe their faults in the first place.) It's a Ji thing not "false humility".

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
your post smells of "st00pid". I think OA is saying that INFPs can't afford to overlook what they have observed in themselves whilst INFJs can (or will fail to observe their faults in the first place.) It's a Ji thing not "false humility".

OA literally says false humility lol. Please if I misunderstood this correct me. What I got out of this is if INFJs were the center of this thread they would secretly agree but claim they did not. In addition the INFJ lovers would sing their praises because MBTI profiles seem to perpetuate the idea of INFJ superiority. (Which I pretty much agree with in my other post) In contrary INFPs will see this and truly try to convenience you that they are not to be praised because they are truly defective. (I took the liberty of taking that to imply that opposed to the false humility of the INFJ the INFPs are truly humble.) All I was saying is that was a truly ironic way of making that point. Especially to add something to the effect “it had to be said” in the spoiler. I found it flipping hilarious. I mean truly hysterical lol. I wasn’t trying to insult INFP’s because I actually rather like them. In my response I pretty much agreed with 75 to 80% of what OA said. OA is a spicy individual and I can appreciate that lol. I love reading the posts on the Fi vs Fe threads. So no disrespect there. Perhaps since you find my understanding is so obviously flawed you can enlighten as to why it “smells of St00pid” to point out what I perceive to be irony between the assertion of OAs post and it’s delivery. Although OA did already respond to me and I feel as though she would have reamed me if I misunderstood the first post. Yet I could be very wrong or perhaps you could have misunderstood my intentions. Maybe a little bit of both.

Standuble

I heard God was an INFP.

God was likely an ESFJ. He may punish you a lot and make your life a hell but he loves you and he wants to know that you know he loves you. He also isn't happy when you don't show your appreciation for him and lacked the foresight to see that if he is going to need to put his own son on the Earth to die for humanity's sins (after already wiping them out in a flood) then he probably should check over the design specs.

Add the occasional fun time and troll time of Ne (floods, famines, religious wars) and the poor internal logical consistency of inferior Ti (keeps creating different religions with different rules with the exception that every religion is the correct one) and you get an ESFJ.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
[MENTION=14363]Standuble[/MENTION]
Noooo. I believe with all my heart in the divine INFP.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
In contrary INFPs will see this and truly try to convenience you that they are not to be praised because they are truly defective. (I took the liberty of taking that to imply that opposed to the false humility of the INFJ the INFPs are truly humble.)

I think a more balanced way to look at this is to be aware that INFP's often lack confidence in their own conclusions. Without the presence of Ji in the top three functions, we doubt our outer presentation of perceptions and question potential conclusions incessantly, in a way that I--J doesn't seem to once voiced. Due to this, INFP's often over-weight the conclusiveness of others in any decision-making, since they seem so certain. Meaning, if we presented to the outer world as that certain, wow, we would be REALLY certain, so that person must be REALLY certain too!

It kind of leads us to feeling defective. But over time, it also lends to us an ability to see how other types draw conclusions and how they can tend to cherry-pick data to support those conclusions.

So, see this as an inherent questioning of ourselves all of the time as opposed to humility. The outward decisiveness Je lends to an I--J means they sometimes latch onto ideas like this thread with more gusto if it supports an already formulated opinion.

I feel that, in the context of this thread, what OA says has a grain of truth to it - that an INFJ would feel more alignment than an INFP with a positive thread like this. They would feel like they are more appreciated by a thread like this, and pleased that the type in general is being appreciated. Do you agree with that? I don't think it says anything bad about INFJ's in particular that this is so. OA makes her point using words that grate on you, with the hot-button of "humility" thrown in, and I think that's too bad because it means the point gets lost on you being offended by that.

Caveat:
I realize as an Ni dom you don't feel interiorly certain, but what you present to the world is much more certain. You've drawn some sort of conclusion, which I'm aware is more malleable than it seems at face-value.

eta: I don't see the cherry-picking as specifically being a conscious choice. And I see the spoofy-aspect of this thread, and I know an INFJ would question the motives of it too.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel that, in the context of this thread, what OA says has a grain of truth to it - that an INFJ would feel more alignment than an INFP with a positive thread like this. They would feel like they are more appreciated by a thread like this, and pleased that the type in general is being appreciated. Do you agree with that?

There is truth to that and I have said as much in all of my other posts.

I don't think it says anything bad about INFJ's in particular that this is so. OA makes her point using words that grate on you, with the hot-button of "humility" thrown in, and I think that's too bad because it means the point gets lost on you being offended by that.

This is false 100%. I don't see how a point can be lost on me if I have already stated I agree with a good portion of it. I have no idea how people are still getting the idea that I am offended. I am not offend and I have basically said as much in the post you quote. This is getting redundant but as I have said before I was merely poking fun at the irony between the delivery and the assertion (you seem to notice the langue is fiery also). Which I also stated in no uncertain terms (so I thought) in the post you quote.It actually seems to me that some of the INFPs misunderstood me and got offended. For that allow me to apologize for my part in the misunderstanding.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
This is false 100%. I don't see how a point can be lost on me if I have already stated I agree with a good portion of it. I have no idea how people are still getting the idea that I am offended. I am not offend and I have basically said as much in the post you quote. This is getting redundant but as I have said before I was merely poking fun at the irony between the delivery and the assertion (you seem to notice the langue is fiery also). Which I also stated in no uncertain terms (so I thought) in the post you quote.It actually seems to me that some of the INFPs misunderstood me and got offended. For that allow me to apologize for my part in the misunderstanding.

Hmm, you're looking at me choosing the word "offended" now, sorry about that! I don't think I'm wrong that you didn't like the idea of "false humility" - and I think that's a fair complaint from your perspective, and you delivered your thoughts with some tongue-in-cheek, and I got that too. To my ears, you do sound a little annoyed and defensive in your reply to me as well. If you're not feeling this way, I suppose I'm picking it up from tone and word choices, but if that's incorrect, I apologize for assuming you felt a bit of annoyance in there.

I don't feel offended myself from what you've posted, and although I appreciate you extending an apology, rest-assured, not necessary. :)

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm, you're looking at me choosing the word "offended" now, sorry about that! I don't think I'm wrong that you didn't like the idea of "false humility" - and I think that's a fair complaint from your perspective, and you delivered your thoughts with some tongue-in-cheek, and I got that too. To my ears, you do sound a little annoyed and defensive in your reply to me as well. If you're not feeling this way, I suppose I'm picking it up from tone and word choices, but if that's incorrect, I apologize for assuming you felt a bit of annoyance in there.

I don't feel offended myself from what you've posted, and although I appreciate you extending an apology, rest-assured, not necessary. :)

There was a ting of irritation but it was not about the issue at hand. I generally don't respond well to the idea that something I have said "smells of st00pid" lol. That was pretty much the only thing the irked me about any interaction on this thread. I have dealt with that and now I’m fine promise lol

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No…you have convinced me that you are trying to assert you are somehow superior because you admit you are defective lol. That on some level other types are more defective in that they are defective and don't know it. You on the other hand are above disillusionment. So in being aware of your defectiveness you are somehow less defective. I wasn’t convinced of anything before but now I am almost certain. lol:newwink:

There goes the INFJ trying to tell me what my motives are without examining their own. I laid bare my motives, hence any winky faces & spoiler text which explain I'm being cantankerous on purpose (and it was mostly a jab at myself). This is the common deflection INFJs use also... I've learned these conversations go nowhere. I can explain 100 times over what I meant, and they will insist it's something else so as to avoid dealing with the real issue.

OA literally says false humility lol. Please if I misunderstood this correct me. What I got out of this is if INFJs were the center of this thread they would secretly agree but claim they did not.

I don't know what people secretly think, but I observe how they act and what they say. I would see light protest at most (like when someone protests a compliment but seems to have expected it), with nothing being directly countered. There might be some "but this is at the cost of sacrificing myself!", the pain of being "too perfect".

The thread would then be diverted into examining the motives of the OP. No real dissection of the INFJ would be allowed.

This is observation more than prediction. It's a pattern. I can't help what other people do.

In addition the INFJ lovers would sing their praises because MBTI profiles seem to perpetuate the idea of INFJ superiority. (Which I pretty much agree with in my other post) In contrary INFPs will see this and truly try to convenience you that they are not to be praised because they are truly defective. (I took the liberty of taking that to imply that opposed to the false humility of the INFJ the INFPs are truly humble.)

No, INFPs will not necessarily turn down praise nor are we incapable of bragging, etc. But it may only be accepted when "seen for who we are", warts and all. Or else it just doesn't have meaning. Because we (often) recognize people become enamored with fantasies. This thread is not all that flattering, then. I made that point when I noted that the INFP ego is not all that flattered by being told we're sweet & nice & stuff like that. Most simply don't know how to play to our egos.

All I was saying is that was a truly ironic way of making that point.

What better way is there to make a point?

Perhaps since you find my understanding is so obviously flawed you can enlighten as to why it “smells of St00pid” to point out what I perceive to be irony between the assertion of OAs post and it’s delivery.

Pointing out the irony is pretty much the same as "explaining a joke". I usually go the tragic route, and I thought I kept that flair here.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hahahahahhaahha...INFPs being the perfect type, that's rich.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahahahahhaahha...INFPs being the perfect type, that's rich.

I invented an axiom that goes: How do we create the “perfect” future? – Perfection is your own vision that you desire to manifest and can “will” into being, but it cannot limit the visions of other beings.

Well, INFPs have the most powerful Fi desires, and can generate Ne fantasies from them, all on the individual level, so others can do the same. Therefore, INFP is indeed the perfect type.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hello Mr. Raptor,

FTR I voted no. *shows INFP "Get Out Of Jail FREE" card*

While the qualities you've listed are mostly accurate they are not the end all be all by any means and while situationally useful are lacking in many a context that are both useful and meaningful.

This. I would also add that, in some cases, some of these aren't actually true .

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you mean perfect or most able/willing to create the "perfect" future?
INFPs are, indeed, called "idealists", but not "the ideal" haha.