User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram

Default The Verbal Fireworks of the ENFP

To be honest, I just want to post this video. have you guys seen this BBC interview of Russell Brand? It's getting me all fired up. The last 3 minutes or so are intense!

This is a great example of an ENFP in advocate mode:

What do you guys think of that? I'm not sure if I agree with every last thing he says, but by God, he knows how to say it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

hell yes!!! preach it enfp brotha!!

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Ahh the fire of righteous indignation...

I've found it to be something most people cannot really take that kind of intense fireworks in a one on one exchange though. It seems to scare and intimidate people or piss them off due to the bath of emotional fire they are exposed to - even when you throw in some funny moments to break it up a little.

And they use it against you to not take you seriously - look, s/he is just too emotionally involved and she is tossing in jokes at the same time. S/he can't even bother to put together a serious argument.

It can be quite powerful when you do it to a group of people though at the exact opportune time...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

aah i sympathise. i used to be like that. now i just keep it to myself and choose my fights (i.e. he didn't win anything by talking with that journalist).

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Lol, yep! Sometimes ya gotta get fired up.

You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Meh.

He comes off as a know-nothing.

Lots of emotion, very little knowledge.

"I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE. I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT INEQUALITY. AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL TO DO ABOUT IT."

When people are that pissed off about something, but can't even offer a feasible alternative, they should not be listened to.

They don't know how the world works. They're just venting their ressentiment.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Meh.

"I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE. I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT INEQUALITY. AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL TO DO ABOUT IT."

When people are that pissed off about something, but can't even offer a feasible alternative, they should not be listened to.

I totally agree in some ways. He wasn't presenting an a argument really, and I don't think that was his intent. This kind of thing by itself is pretty useless.

But I'd argue that it's not without merit. I'm not in love with every word he said or every rhetorical angle he took, but I think what he was doing can be motivating. It can be good to hear others express a passionate stance against something you are feeling too. That kind if thig sparks fires in others and that can spread. (Let's just hope it spreads to some people with better skills in the way of working to come up with a better plan). But it can be good to hear that other ways are possible and to be encouraged to think that way.

He wasn't pretending to have a plan. He was just speaking his mind and using his position in the public eye to share his fire inside with the world.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I totally agree in some ways. He wasn't presenting an a argument really, and I don't think that was his intent. This kind of thing by itself is pretty useless.

But I'd argue that it's not without merit. I'm not in love with every word he said or every rhetorical angle he took, but I think what he was doing can be motivating. It can be good to hear others express a passionate stance against something you are feeling too. That kind if thig sparks fires in others and that can spread. (Let's just hope it spreads to some people with better skills in the way of working to come up with a better plan). But it can be good to hear that other ways are possible and to be encouraged to think that way.

He wasn't pretending to have a plan. He was just speaking his mind and using his position in the public eye to share his fire inside with the world.
    I agree, to an extent.

I agree in that ressentiment can have its purposes.

If that much inequality, that much injustice, is in existence, then the ressentiment should build up to such an extent, become such a pressure cooker, such a pot boiling over, that it forces those issues to be dealt with by those in power.

At the same time, though, sometimes the "solutions" offered (i.e., extremely high taxation, eliminating profit, etc) are such complete and total crap that, really, the effect of taking those actions in order to appease that ressentiment would actually end up being worse off for the system as a whole (including, likely, in the end, those with the ressentiment).

Not all inequality and not all injustice can feasibly be eliminated, and, at least with inequality, not all of it necessarily even should.

(That being said, I do find the trend of increased inequality since the early 70s in America to be problematic.)

(And universal healthcare is one prong amongst several [not all appeasing the same side of the equation - some go in the "opposite" direction, in order to increase competitiveness, and thus our economy/employment] that can be enacted to remedy our problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Meh.

NFs are on this planet to champion causes and passionately spread the word to increase awareness so more handy and practical NTs, SJs and SPs can implement change and progress via innovation and reform. Not offering a feasible alternative doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't listen to them, even if we don't always agree with them. We need passionate people to champion causes, even if they don't always offer facts and statistics so much as they do a passionate argument. ENFPs are humanity's cheerleaders, in a way. I mean that in a completely positive way and not in the stereotypically ditzy and shallow way we often associate with the word cheerleader.

It's true, many ENFPs are probably more informed and know more facts to back up his argument, but the fact that something gets him this emotionally fired up about something means he has every right to share that feeling with thw world, whether or not the world chooses to listen to him or shrug him off as another "childish" idealist ungrounded in reality.

I want to be an ENFP when I grow up, btw.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I agree with you both. And I can sympathize with him where he kind of stumbled in this argument too.

He was asked what his plan was, and that's when he started saying things that were kinda half-baked, vague, or otherwise bad ideas. But it's because he felt pressure to have those answers. It can be hard for ENFPs to come to terms with that I think, being candid about not being well equipped
    in the way of having a solid plan, and being confident in the fact that that doesn't invalidate their opinion.

He should have never started talking about taxation policies. Like we've said, that isn't his strength and it can take away from the positive potential outcomes of his championing.