• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs with developed Te

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We INFPs seem to be stereotyped to be disorganized, unable to get things done, incapable of leading, etc. because of our 'lack of Te'. True, it is our fourth function, but out of eight. Personally, lack of Te is not my weakest point. I think my Te is fairly developed. Do any other INFPs relate?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
We INFPs seem to be stereotyped to be disorganized, unable to get things done, incapable of leading, etc. because of our 'lack of Te'. True, it is our fourth function, but out of eight. Personally, lack of Te is not my weakest point. I think my Te is fairly developed. Do any other INFPs relate?

Hello Abbey! Nice to meet you, we haven't crossed paths before I don't think!

As far as Te proficiency, I think it's useful to always keep in mind that our use of Te is aspirational. Te use comes at a high energy cost on an INFP, and sustained use sacrifices nuance of the functions that precede it. Sustained Te use can also lead to huge life imbalance for us, even burnout.

I'm likely in the top 3 of the most Te'ish INFP's on this site atm - I run a company, I renovated our house! Yet, despite my advocacy of Te, that's my perspective - be careful. It's good to have some confidence in your use of Te, just don't think you rock at it. You don't. You can get shit done, yes, but just keep the balance in play by relying more on your dom and aux. I can be a very effective task-master, I just need to use it for shorter bursts, allow distraction and variety, and most important, recharge.

“You can fool yourself, you know. You'd think it's impossible, but it turns out it's the easiest thing of all.”
― Jodi Picoult, Vanishing Acts

Rennamix

MBTI Type
INFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My INFP boyfriend rocks wth his Te! You can see it more often than not when he is in the kitchen because he is a chef. He describes these moments as if it's a creative dance - going here to there, doing this and this in a precise order....while rotating, preparing and cooking everything. He executes everything in a certain sequence, consciosuly aware of what is done and what needs to be done. He is very organized and you can tell when his Ne is expressed by his Te. He always like to write out his ideas by lists, but then by the time he creates, the "idea" may turn out completely different! :) you can also see his Ne + Te in use when it comes to decorating and organizing the house. I look like the most disorganized mess compare to him! Ha!

Standuble

In the past people (though always online) have claimed that I have developed Te. I find it inconsistent - sometimes it works well and other times not so much. I think it is linked or at least correlates with procrastination - I can use it fine for tasks I have no love for but when it comes to tasks e.g. making something of my life I find only dead ends!

One of the function theories (I forget which one) claims that the dominant and inferior function are the most important functions for a type. Fi and Te have a very complex relationship (I personally see them as two parts of the same hypothetical entity) where Fi value systems are fundamentally constructed using fragments of known Te empirical data as logic gates and building blocks for intuition and feeling to utilise and make connections between (with Fi determining whether it is comfortable with accepting this data or not).

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of the function theories (I forget which one) claims that the dominant and inferior function are the most important functions for a type. Fi and Te have a very complex relationship (I personally see them as two parts of the same hypothetical entity) where Fi value systems are fundamentally constructed using fragments of known Te empirical data as logic gates and building blocks for intuition and feeling to utilise and make connections between (with Fi determining whether it is comfortable with accepting this data or not).

i totally see what you mean because i also feel the same about my Ne-Si functions. i have them both and yes,they are in balance with each other, they are co-dependent (and si is stronger in me then i'd like to imagine): for instance, my Ne pushes me to try new situations, change jobs often, change citycountry often, but i also "suffer" from my si, that urges me to stay in one place and urges for familiarity. i'm more dependent on my environment and people than i'd like to admit. in the last years i've experienced anxiety which i think is related to this.

gromit

likes this
I can do Te but it is tiring and clumsy, esp if it involves other people. Much better in my own personal life where I don't have to be so concerned about other people's feelings.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hi, ISFP here with a pretty good Te, which has helped me get through college and excel at my job. I work as a lab tech and you have to be able to follow procedures and be rather organized. I look at Te development as being integral to who I am, as I absolutely love the sciences and have always felt this tug and pull between doing art or doing science for a living. I settled for a pretty practical job, but at least I get time to pursue all of my hobbies, including art, on my time off :thumbup:

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
lol I don't really associate "lack of Te" with being unable to organize, insomuch as it's archaic and uncompromising nature over concrete factuality, and a need for everything to have some sort of use. While at the same time generally having some difficulty really letting go of their main perspective because what the most pragmatic thing to do goes against what they find to be agreeable. They also seem to find themselves in situations where they simply can't affect the world, and so they become depressed over it. Thinking is generally about learning how to be pragmatic and compromising desires. Not being poor at organization. The Fe dom also has the same issues, but they would sell themselves out, because they think they are stupid rather than being more rigid like the Fi dom.

Feeling doms are also complete assholes whenever they disagree with how you define something though. God damn.

momoness

I am an INFP, yet I have a sharp Sensor-like way of approaching my work whereby I do it in an organized, systematic way and take care of the details (however I hate details). I also lead a violence-against-women initiative in which I coordinate a team of about 10 volunteers in various ways, such as advocacy, writing and chapter-building. Since joining my previous workplace as a reporter, I have gained considerable skills, particularly in the areas of work management, time management, attending to details as well as increasing my extroverted feeling and interacting with people in a way that respects their customs (no matter if I disagree with these customs). I am competent as hell.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What it means to be "bad at Te" (aka, "inferior") depends on who you ask. Popular stereotypes give us the following:
- bad at logic
- chronically disorganized
- dogmatic about unrealistic beliefs

The researcher Naomi Quenk lists the following as markers:
- Judgments of incompetence
- Aggressive criticism
- Precipitous action

Jung's work itself only references Fi types as thinking they know what others are thinking and becoming hostile.

The sole reason I don't type exclusively as an IxFP is precisely for this reason--I fail to see this as being a weak point with me (both according to clinically observed phenomena relating to Te-inf, as well as stereotypes thereof).

I wouldn't say I'm "great" at Te, either--I'm disorganized (as in, messy), I can be outrageously lazy, my desire to do "what I feel like" often supercedes what I've planned doing today. I can certainly lob criticisms at people and live in more or less a state of open warfare with the world (though this is such a facet of my personality that I've more or less been on an inferior loop since I hit puberty). Beyond this, nothing.

In terms of actually getting stuff done, though, I am adequate--I get everything done that needs it; I respect deadlines. I have managed large projects that involved organizing others and resources, which we have gotten done before the deadline. I can run my classroom in a consistent (and probably scary-authoritarian) way. I care about reality and often try to plan my actions in a remotely strategic manner. If I have a big enough idea, I can generally bring it to fruition (heading Latin Club projects, moving to other countries, learning a foreign language, etc). I can make things work. My family actually sees me as "practical", and my teachers thought I was "efficient".

It's not really a problem for me beyond the daily laziness I have demonstrated above. (Keep in mind, I'm open to the possibility of not being an IFP, but I do fit the profile of Fi-dom).

It's important to remember, IFPs still use Te, it's just more of a subconscious process and works to support Fi (when Fi is balanced and not overriding it). No reason they can't be "good" at it; it's just never going to be the dominant view of life and will always be subordinated to other interests.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What it means to be "bad at Te" (aka, "inferior") depends on who you ask. Popular stereotypes give us the following:
- bad at logic
- chronically disorganized
- dogmatic about unrealistic beliefs

Lenore Thompson notes that the inferior is more about a blindspot in an approach to life. It's not about skill sets. I don't have the book with me ATM, but there's a quote which basically says IxFPs may be great at logic as far as critical thinking goes, but we don't approach life with the impersonal, objective way of decision making a Te-dom does. We find it sort of distasteful. It's less about ability than feeling the inferior as an opposing force to our preferred way. We may actively resist it.

Most of the disorganization is due to Ne absent-mindedness, IMO, not Te inferior.

The dogmatic thing is :huh:. I find that stereotype comes from Je types who don't understand Ji (or even judging types, which Jung more correctly called rational types). They say stupid stuff like "INFPs are J-dom so they are really judgemental!". Then in the next breath they say we cannot make any major life decisions or form any strong opinions because we're too nice & passive & confuzzled. The contradictions in the stereotypes are amusing.

I associate dogmatic with P-dom actually.... more inclined to latch onto ideas without reasoning them out. :harhar:

The researcher Naomi Quenk lists the following as markers:
- Judgments of incompetence
- Aggressive criticism
- Precipitous action

The first two are super obvious in any correctly typed IxFP. I have a hard time seeing the last one there, but I think it's a poor ability to see what is factual & what you are just feeling emotionally. This is one of the best ways to show how Te is emotional for IxFPs NOT Fi. Fi is rational for us & not the source of the angst (IMO - it's the opposition of the inferior - Te!), but since most don't experience it that way, they want to peg it as emotional judging.

Jung's work itself only references Fi types as thinking they know what others are thinking and becoming hostile.

The usual interpretation & manifestation of it is over-sensitivity to perceived criticism and feeling like no one likes you & you're a loser - the kind of chips IxFPs do often carry on their shoulders. So it's thinking people think more lowly of you than they do & thinking you are not capable of meeting external standards. This is basically a nasty Te voice in our head saying, "you're not measuring up to objective criteria for a likable, competent person". Since the IxFP often views this criteria as impersonal and driving people to be brainless & miserable clones (in contrast to what they've identified as truly significant and what will meet their individual needs for happiness), this naturally angers them. This also tends to show up as snobbery or self-righteous in IxFPs, where judgments of incompetence & aggressive criticisms play a part. Often, this is directed at moral & aesthetic realms, where IxFPs may feel confident to judge with their own standards, as a compensation for wherever they do not feel competent or confident.

It's funny how the built-in criticisms of mainstream culture found within counter-cultures & sub-cultures (the criticism is by virtue of their existence) have such a Fi flavor, yet can become so cliche that they violate their very motivation. An actual Fi-dom may steer clear of such cultures, but within themselves they can fall into the same trap.

When a Fi-dom is not doing much in life, beyond laziness (which is not really lazy; more on that later), it tends to be deliberate stubbornness. It's not about ability. Some IxFPs will convince themselves it is ability though, and they'll self-sabotage to "prove" this. They make the obstacle external when it is not. Of course, all introverts have that tendency in some way.

In terms of actually getting stuff done, though, I am adequate--I get everything done that needs it; I respect deadlines. I have managed large projects that involved organizing others and resources, which we have gotten done before the deadline. I can run my classroom in a consistent (and probably scary-authoritarian) way. I care about reality and often try to plan my actions in a remotely strategic manner. If I have a big enough idea, I can generally bring it to fruition (heading Latin Club projects, moving to other countries, learning a foreign language, etc). I can make things work. My family actually sees me as "practical", and my teachers thought I was "efficient".

It's not really a problem for me beyond the daily laziness I have demonstrated above. (Keep in mind, I'm open to the possibility of not being an IFP, but I do fit the profile of Fi-dom).

It's important to remember, IFPs still use Te, it's just more of a subconscious process and works to support Fi (when Fi is balanced and not overriding it). No reason they can't be "good" at it; it's just never going to be the dominant view of life and will always be subordinated to other interests.

I would agree with this for myself. The last paragraph is very true as well....just what that Lenore Thompson comment refers to also (not about skills, but mentality).

I've never been called practical, but people see me as capable, for sure - because they DO rely on me to get things done. I would say there is a method to my madness. I can be disorganized & absent-minded, but again, I see this as Ne (because I find ENFPs waaaaaay worse here).

Also, INFPs can have decent Si. It's often childlike and melancholy, but it brings in a tendency to prioritize well when used sparingly (when too Si heavy, then we deem everything in reality too far from ideal, doomed to repeat itself, and we hide in our bedrooms listening to The Cure records & writing shitty poetry - or maybe just me). Si-doms approach life with a sense of what is most REAL, or most demanding of attention & sure to pan out according to how they wish. This is why INxPs will often prioritize better than an ENxP - it helps keep Ne tangents & whims in check. Combined with Fi, you have someone who can be highly aware of & focused on what is most significant right now, no matter what other cool ideas are floating around.

My boss (who I'm typing ENFP for now) will drive me nuts by wanting to re-do some design last minute just to explore another idea, even though the finished design was deemed more than great days ago & we're hours from going to print. I will try to redirect back to moving onto what is NOT finished in order to meet the deadline, because my sense of what is important at the moment is stronger. I notice I know what needs to be done more than she does. She gets sidetracked a lot. "What needs to be done" is very Si.

What I have a problem with is getting overwhelmed when it seems many things need to be done at once & they all seem important. I'm unpacking right now & it makes my head spin because I want to do the kitchen, my bedroom, & my living room all at once. I have to make myself take it a step at a time; do one thing to completion & then move on. I am not a "step by step" or linear person, and so I can lose myself in a process. I think Dario Nardi says that Pi+Je types are more aware of where they are in a process - I am not. I work towards an end goal in a side-winding manner sometimes, or I feel it as I go along, as if sculpting clay and then just "knowing" when it is a finished & acceptable shape. Unlike Te, I don't focus on measurable end goals, but more of a vague vision that I have not really seen yet, but will know it when I shape it.

I think it looks very innovative to others at times, because instead of of being viewed as inefficient or incompetent, they will just tend to see me as creative. I've read that INFPs may have their own way of organizing that looks odd to others but makes sense to them & works for them - this is some weird Si & inferior Te stuff too. We can organize like a Te type, Si prioritize in a childlike way (Ne play until crucial moment, then Si priorities kick in), but have a Fi personal slant instead of the "known" way an STJ might use.

It's classic Ne to "goof off" and do stuff in a big, inspired, panicky rush at the end. I do that a lot. It's like I know it will stress me out, but the energy from the rush tends to bring a good payoff and I can't sustain that energy in a steady manner anyway, so it has to be put off until needed. The goofing off is really an exploratory process that feeds my brain for that rush later (and sometimes it yields personal creative things for their own sake, instead of a "goal"). It's like I'm banking away ideas & creative energy & absorbing stuff for inspiration. This could been seen as "lazy", but even, steady working people are often not as creative for a reason. The laziness is a necessary recharge or even part of the creative process. Pretty much all Pe types will demonstrate this work style. Dario Nardi notes this as the energy intensive christmas tree effect in the Ne brains, which has burnout later on, and in Se types they energy conserve with low activity but a constant readiness to jump into more intensive action with that tennis-hop mental pattern. Those are great metaphors for behaviors in Pe types also.

In short, I think INFPs likely have a Ne process (or the mentality we may have in an approach to achieving goals), reigned in by Si, but may use some Te skillsets in an individual Fi way while in that process.

I picture like a chaotic twister, but within it is some predictable & even complex pattern of wind movement going on. ENFPs fit that even more, as INFPs are less observably "active".

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say I'm on the lower end of Te mastery (despite being older), and have a stronger preference for Perceiving than many INFPs (ignoring the supposed dichotomous nature of the preferences). I relate to a good deal of what OA said, and recommend The Unconventional Strengths of Perceivers (previous thread on the topic here).

I feel like a lot of time management techniques are written for those who prefer Judging, and are very energy intensive and demotivating when used by someone with a strong Perceiving preference. So a lot being effective for me is learning how to work with and around my nature, rather than directly against it. I've found techniques like setting artificial deadlines for myself (to induce time-pressure early) and tricking myself into focus and flow early (when needed) work better than subdividing a task into a bazillion parts, and laying those out on a calendar (thereby draining me of any remaining motivation). I generally have an intuitive feel for what I should work on next, and am good at optimizing as I go.

There are, however, cases where one does have to bite the bullet and take a more traditional Te-style approach. That's especially true for the "necessary but not urgent" tasks.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Again, great post! I just thought I'd bring up a couple of points (to aid my own understanding as much as anything).

Lenore Thompson notes that the inferior is more about a blindspot in an approach to life. It's not about skill sets. I don't have the book with me ATM, but there's a quote which basically says IxFPs may be great at logic as far as critical thinking goes, but we don't approach life with the impersonal, objective way of decision making a Te-dom does. We find it sort of distasteful. It's less about ability than feeling the inferior as an opposing force to our preferred way. We may actively resist it.

Most of the disorganization is due to Ne absent-mindedness, IMO, not Te inferior.
I initially had this impression as well, regarding organization. Nonetheless, regardless of how accurately it can be linked to Te-inf, I am the stereotype of the disorganized Perceiver. I'd say this is a problem for me well beyond other associated issues!

Serious question, though--what would count as the Te-dom impersonal, objective way of making decisions? I think this could aid the discussion!

The dogmatic thing is :huh:. I find that stereotype comes from Je types who don't understand Ji (or even judging types, which Jung more correctly called rational types). They say stupid stuff like "INFPs are J-dom so they are really judgemental!". Then in the next breath they say we cannot make any major life decisions or form any strong opinions because we're too nice & passive & confuzzled. The contradictions in the stereotypes are amusing.
Agreed. The stereotypes regarding this are a major reason why I had trouble ascertaining myself as likely being this type, and I wouldn't be surprised if this were true for many others. The one about dogmatism and illogic is a stereotype I happen to detest.

To be fair, I've seen verifiable INFPs who do manifest this trait (my stepfather being one); and just as many who do not (my mother being another).

I associate dogmatic with P-dom actually.... more inclined to latch onto ideas without reasoning them out. :harhar:
And as to this...lol! I have an ENFP friend who is a lot more inclined to stubbornly believe in loopy things than anyone I've met (she's convinced that her ex-boyfriend is "the devil" and that yoga will make you go batshit insane. She won't hear evidence to the contrary). It's like she has no discernment (she's not insane, either, her mind just works like this).

Note that I am not suggesting that all ENFPs are like this.

The first two are super obvious in any correctly typed IxFP. I have a hard time seeing the last one there, but I think it's a poor ability to see what is factual & what you are just feeling emotionally. This is one of the best ways to show how Te is emotional for IxFPs NOT Fi. Fi is rational for us & not the source of the angst (IMO - it's the opposition of the inferior - Te!), but since most don't experience it that way, they want to peg it as emotional judging.
Is it fair to say that the inferior function in general is the one associated with such angst? I think I read something similar to this somewhere, though it was on some random internet site as I lack the resources to buy proper reading material ;)

In my case, I am definitely capable of judgements of incompetence and criticism, but this is such an ingrained part of my nature, it hardly constitutes me shifting "into the grip".

The usual interpretation & manifestation of it is over-sensitivity to perceived criticism and feeling like no one likes you & you're a loser - the kind of chips IxFPs do often carry on their shoulders. So it's thinking people think more lowly of you than they do & thinking you are not capable of meeting external standards. This is basically a nasty Te voice in our head saying, "you're not measuring up to objective criteria for a likable, competent person". Since the IxFP often views this criteria as impersonal and driving people to be brainless & miserable clones (in contrast to what they've identified as truly significant and what will meet their individual needs for happiness), this naturally angers them. This also tends to show up as snobbery or self-righteous in IxFPs, where judgments of incompetence & aggressive criticisms play a part. Often, this is directed at moral & aesthetic realms, where IxFPs may feel confident to judge with their own standards, as a compensation for wherever they do not feel competent or confident.
See, this is just so much better than anything I've read about Te-inferior anywhere else. Good thing we have you, OrangeAppled!

It's funny how the built-in criticisms of mainstream culture found within counter-cultures & sub-cultures (the criticism is by virtue of their existence) have such a Fi flavor, yet can become so cliche that they violate their very motivation. An actual Fi-dom may steer clear of such cultures, but within themselves they can fall into the same trap.
Perhaps this is where people get the idea of Fi-doms as being illogical and dogmatic?

It's classic Ne to "goof off" and do stuff in a big, inspired, panicky rush at the end. I do that a lot. It's like I know it will stress me out, but the energy from the rush tends to bring a good payoff and I can't sustain that energy in a steady manner anyway, so it has to be put off until needed. The goofing off is really an exploratory process that feeds my brain for that rush later (and sometimes it yields personal creative things for their own sake, instead of a "goal"). It's like I'm banking away ideas & creative energy & absorbing stuff for inspiration. This could been seen as "lazy", but even, steady working people are often not as creative for a reason. The laziness is a necessary recharge or even part of the creative process. Pretty much all Pe types will demonstrate this work style. Dario Nardi notes this as the energy intensive christmas tree effect in the Ne brains, which has burnout later on, and in Se types they energy conserve with low activity but a constant readiness to jump into more intensive action with that tennis-hop mental pattern. Those are great metaphors for behaviors in Pe types also.
This is the entire story of my life. Wait till the last possible second, then do it all. I was so glad to find out about "Perceivers" for this reason--it seems at odds with the way you're "supposed" to be in our society.

I still say I'm lazy, though. You can tell me it's part of the exploratory process, but I'm pretty sure my goal is to have fun for as long as possible. The object is to do all that boring "work" in the shortest amount of time with minimal effort.

In short, I think INFPs likely have a Ne process (or the mentality we may have in an approach to achieving goals), reigned in by Si, but may use some Te skillsets in an individual Fi way while in that process.
I like this a lot. I agree.

B

brainheart

It's this: http://cognitivetype.com/thesis/

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this theory, but I do agree there is a continuous tension between Fi and Te within myself. I think the problems arise (as [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] sort of mentions) when a Fi dom considers Te to be better than Fi and thereby devalues the Fi or tries to contain it Te-style, or uses Te logic in a false/negative way to support Fi.