• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPS what's your reaction to an off handed insult?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Like for example someone not living up to their responsibility and you call them out on it. and They call you a bitch or whatever insult you want to use.

My reaction, is I just let it roll off my back. It takes a lot for me to be insulted, unless I'm having a bad day. You have to know which buttons to push, I think I have thick skin. I know I can take a lot of abuse and I have, I'm not one of those people that is too concerned with other's feelings. I am to a point, but I'm not going to feel sorry for you over your room mate eating your peanutbutter.

So how do you react when someone insults you?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In that situation, I'd be rolling my eyes internally. It's not hard for me to see where the origin of the insult is - their own ego or a real commentary on a flaw I have.

I am surprisingly harder to insult that one might guess. I've noticed in a few social situations that I took far less offense to teasing banter from guys than most other women. I can be sardonic and like when someone can take it. I don't dish out what I cannot take.

Real maliciousness or harsh criticism that hits a nerve tends to make me shut down. I'm stunned for a moment, then I feel a need to escape to process it alone. I may be angry or cut to the heart with shame. It depends on how close to the bone they get.

I think the issue with me is people sense I am sensitive, but it's often not to typical stuff & it's hard for others predict because they don't see the connection to some root feeling. This will leave people feeling like they're walking on eggshells when 99% of stuff is likely just fine with me.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I will distance myself from such people since they show their inability to communicate in a civil manner.

Edit:

Oh -- just saw that it was for INFPs only.

Since my boyfriend is not on here, I guess I'll answer for him: he doesn't seem that bothered by insults, especially from strangers (like, for example, an online chess player who sends a 'FU' messages when they lose) It never ceases to amaze me :blush:

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
At first it would sting, then I would get really angry, but then I get over it pretty quickly.

All of this would happen over the course of about 30 seconds.

Cantus Firmus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My external reaction would be taking it silently, or saying "sorry," or I guess if I really know the person well, I might give a glare that says something like "really, you thought that was necessary?"

Internally, it depends. It would either roll right off without affecting me (most likely), or I'd just be disappointed because I made someone feel so negative towards me.

I should clarify that I don't swear, so if they're using strong language, there's a moment of shock there. It's not that I have a problem with people swearing, but the words will feel strong to me, especially if they're actually addressed to me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
apparently I made this thread and forgot about it. I went oh god another thread asking infps a question

Tyltalis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on how severe the insult is.
At best, i feel mildly annoyed. At worst, I react physically and start a fight.