User Tag List

123 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Okay, please don't take this the wrong way...

Okay, I am curious. Please do not take this the wrong way. I'm new and still learning.

I was curious as to whether or not NF types actually express themselves differently than NT types. Or do they exhibit the same behaviors but act for different reasons? In other words, do they come to similar conclusions through different means, or do they come to totally different conclusions?

Although I realize there are some threads about this, this distinction is not really apparent to me. Perhaps someone can clarify in simpler terms.

Related to another thread on here: Do NF males exhibit different behavior than NF females?

Or do all NFs and NTs act differently regardless of gender?

Just curious - I am really not trying to start a whirlwind. I would just like to have a definitive, clear answer, if possible.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Actually, Little, I'd say that besides the S/N difference among types, the biggest difference is between a male and female of the same type. Male ISTJs, to me, don't act like ISTJ females. Same with my type, ENFJ. We have a lot of common ground, but I find the dynamic changes quite a lot with gender. My friend Taco is ENFJ and we kill ourselves laughing, but he's a lot more aggressive and verbal than me.

And please feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I know that my husband (INTP) and I act pretty differently. I'm more outgoing and warm while he is withdrawn or silly. We find that we do come to a lot of the same conclusions via very different means.

As far as gender/type behavior, I don't have enough data to have formed a solid opinion.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Why're you startin' shit again?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Actually, Little, I'd say that besides the S/N difference among types, the biggest difference is between a male and female of the same type. Male ISTJs, to me, don't act like ISTJ females. Same with my type, ENFJ. We have a lot of common ground, but I find the dynamic changes quite a lot with gender. My friend Taco is ENFJ and we kill ourselves laughing, but he's a lot more aggressive and verbal than me.

And please feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    I don't agree... I'd just say it more likely that the male / female differences where the type is the same may be mistyping. Are you sure of the types (ie are these from validated tests, rather than you ascribing types to these people?)

In my experience, people of both genders but the same type (types confirmed by formal testing) act largely the same. i can think of 4 ISTJs in my workplace, 2 male and 2 female, and the similarities are scary. I struggle to think of any noticeable personality differences. Similarly, I know some female INTPs who are remarkably similar to the male INTPs.

I'd say that when there is a perceived male/female difference it is often a mistyping in disguise.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Okay, I am curious. Please do not take this the wrong way. I'm new and still learning.

I was curious as to whether or not NF types actually express themselves differently than NT types. Or do they exhibit the same behaviors but act for different reasons? In other words, do they come to similar conclusions through different means, or do they come to totally different conclusions?
    My understanding is that the types are basically descriptions of cognitive processing styles. While these can have behavioral implications, there is a tendency to overemphasize these behavioral aspects in discussions. For example, ascribing a temper, low self-esteem, arrogance, morality, kindness, sensuality, etc. to a particular type has problems. Our environments, beliefs, culture, etc. all influence our behaviors. Our temperaments determine how we process these. The way one thinks about a scenario can have some influence on their behavior, but the external input likely has more influence. I'm in the camp that sees value in focusing more on discussions on cognitive processing over external behavior for a number of reasons: it is based core concepts that have more universal applications, and it has less judgmental implications - it's too abstract for snap judgments and prejudicial thinking.

I don't consider myself an expert on this, but I do appreciate the complexities involved in people. You might not get much clarity on the subject because there are not clear distinctions available?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I'd say that when there is a perceived male/female difference it is often a mistyping in disguise.
    Good point
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENFJ

QFT.

The biggest difference in emotional expression comes from the last two letters.

TPs put emotions through that Ti machine to see why and if they're valid, TJs may have strong emotions but will try to tone them down for objectivity's and professionalism's sake, FJs will use emotions as a bargaining chip, and FPs will see emotion as an end in and of itself.

This doesn't really change through gender. I guess the thing that would most change would be FJs (because the way emotional barganing goes with men and women is different in society) followed by the TJs (who would find expression as a means to an end, so it may be useful). FPs and TPs don't really change, though.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In my experience, people of both genders but the same type (types confirmed by formal testing) act largely the same. i can think of 4 ISTJs in my workplace, 2 male and 2 female, and the similarities are scary. I struggle to think of any noticeable personality differences. Similarly, I know some female INTPs who are remarkably similar to the male INTPs.
    I guess I've seen pairs of each in my experience. Maybe even three categories -- a feminine version, a masculine version, and a gray ambiguous version in between that includes people from both genders.

Unfortunately, it's hard to quantify, it's more of an aura/feeling.

Again, I usually go back to the "slider" concept. Every attribute works on a slider, and you can sometimes create people who look similar depending on how you move the sliders, even if they don't share the same initial ranges of parameters. (minor example: Why SFPs sometimes get mistaken for N's...)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I don't agree... I'd just say it more likely that the male / female differences where the type is the same may be mistyping. Are you sure of the types (ie are these from validated tests, rather than you ascribing types to these people?)
    Here, I only cite the people I know who've been tested. By difference, I mean that the women make ISTJ personality more "female" than the men, not that they act COMPLETELY different. When it's said that a house needs a woman's touch, what is meant is that the house needs female energy. You can tell when you walk into a man's home if he lives alone or with a woman. See what I mean?

I apologize for not being clearer.

That could certainly be the case in many instances.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    FiSi

I suppose that, regardless of type, there are differences between the behaviour of men and women, and that those differences are largely cultural. Little girls and little boys are encouraged to behave differently since early childhood. Some kind of behaviour is valued among women and in the same time discouraged among men. The gender roles imposed upon people sure must have some kind of effect in everyone of us, affecting our behaviour and attitudes.