User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Are INFPs (and ISFPs) better bullsh*t detectors than the other types?

Does the dominant introverted feeling function shared by INFPs and ISFPs make them better at seeing through phony bullshitters? Forgive the crass language and also if there is already a thread devoted to this topic. Still a newbie.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I'm not saying the other types are necessarily bad at bullshit detection, I just mean when it comes to picking up the general vibe of a phony bullshit artist, I think INFPs and ISFPs may have a slight edge. Now, an NT type might be better at detecting bullshit by picking apart someone's language and determining whether it matches their actions. So one could definitely fool an IxFP, but it's still not going to be easy. It's definitely my strongest ability in interpersonal relations. My wife (ISFP) and myself have often called people on bullshit or being phony long before any of our friends have realized something fishy might really be up with a person. It can be quite frustrating to just have a feeling about a person and tell your friends, only to have them tell you you're being a crazy asshole/bitch. It can be satisfying though, later on, to hear them say they should've trusted you all along.

I'm rarely wrong when I "get a bad vibe" about a person. It's not often easy to articulate my feelings, but I just KNOW when someone is being dishonest or has ulterior motives.

I think this might be why I can't stand Hillary Clinton. None of my liberal or democrat acquaintances seem to understand, but there's just a feeling that I've always had about the woman. Of course, that's about 90% of politicians anyway.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

I vote ESFJ to be the best judge of people (Fe Si Ne Ti). Fe picks up on changes in emotions expressions ect better than any other function probably one of the most valuable skills of people reading. The fact that it's an ESFJ's dom function is enough all on its own but that killer Fe is also supported by Si. Si is of course sensory and it deals with past present and future allowing them to recall and compare past experiences with people with the current experience. Then they have that Ne thing going on, a function of the abstract that can up on everything a person is not saying. Finally Ti logically pulling a part information and judging the validity. If I had to pick a second I'd say ISFJ ( Si Fe Ti Ne). Same functions different order.
    I mean Fi though a feeling function is directed internally. Though it helps the user to develop a strong sense of right and wrong it can be so subjective. You can clearly identify how you feel about things and why but your right might be someone else’s wrong and vice versa. You can't really build such a strong sense of self or an internal personal framework and then accurately apply it to others. They're not you yet you’d be judging them primarily on how you see the world. That would be pretty one sided. Fe however is the culmination of the feelings of everyone else. That makes for a much broader framework and a more accurate judgment in this respect. Fi is like having a dictionary of words for 13 letters in the alphabet to Fe's 26. Fi would have more in-depth definitions but Fe would have a summary of all the words to work with.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Nah I don't think they are. Fi projects too much based on our own understanding. We're often good at it but probably not the best. I know I often give people the benefit of doubt that don't deserve it. I think this is what I would mean if I said that and its usually coming from a good place so I project that into others and I'm wrong because actually they're just horrible people...and mean something that would never occur to me.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I've always felt as though I've been pretty good at detecting good or bad vibes from others. But, I don't think it's a strictly Fi quality and I also don't think all Fi's develop their self well in that way. We're all fallible. I do, however, believe that certain introverted qualities are better at picking up on those types of things. Such as Ni, Fi, Si and Ti. Less so the extroverted qualities. But idk for certain. Many descriptions will say that ISFP's and also INFJ's are both very good at reading people.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Nah I don't think they are. Fi projects too much based on our own understanding. We're often good at it but probably not the best. I know I often give people the benefit of doubt that don't deserve it. I think this is what I would mean if I said that and its usually coming from a good place so I project that into others and I'm wrong because actually they're just horrible people...and mean something that would never occur to me.
    I actually tend to be overly skeptical of most people. At least initially. But my mindset on people is often fluid and flexible and capable of change.

My ESFJ sister tends to be more rigid in her opinion of others. If she doesn't like you from the first encounter, then she'll never like you.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I actually tend to be overly skeptical of most people. At least initially. But my mindset on people is often fluid and flexible and capable of change.

My ESFJ sister tends to be more rigid in her opinion of others. If she doesn't like you from the first encounter, than she'll never like you.
    Se is engaging while Si is stubborn as FCUK!!!!
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Agree^ but I also think Fi being a judging fuction is a lot more stubborn than Si
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

not that that's a bad thing

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

It depends on what we call BS.... I am decent at seeing discrepancy between what someone is expressing & what emotion they are experiencing. However, I don't call this BS in itself, because I think choosing to go with a principled response over an emotion is part of being a mature adult. I also need to get a sense of someone over time, to see what is consistent & normal for them, before jumping to any conclusions.

In other ways, I can be quite naive. I've recently gotten more sensitive to being emotionally manipulated, because after having been a victim of it I realized I give extensive benefit of the doubt to the point where I gloss over such discrepancies as noted above. If I had given them more weight, I may have seen enough inconsistency between expressed feeling & feeling in demeanor & action that I would've judged someone as NOT truly concerned with my benefit. I suppose that is my main aim in any consideration of authenticity - is this person's feeling towards me genuine?

I don't associate this with Fi, because when I was younger - arguably before Ne took on a larger part of my thinking - I was very absorbed in myself so that I did not read people at all. I didn't & still don't really use Fi for direct judgment to outward things - it's more like I use Ne to see the various ways it relates to my Fi concepts of the human condition, and blah blah blah. Anyhow, when jolted into reality, I tended to be hyper-sensitive & take things negatively which were not, but reading authenticity was not even something which dawned on me. This sometimes led to me being acutely disappointed when I thought someone liked me or was being kind, and it was not genuine.

I notice people who feel they read others well are actually P-dom (ExxP & IxxJ, especially the Feeling varieties). Things simply are apparent to them & they trust this very quickly. For me, I need to go into analysis of my perceptions to "make sense" of things & apply the appropriate weight to it all, and I hesitate to do this too quickly, for fear of jumping to conclusions. So this suspension of final judgment prevents me from decrying someone as full of BS. Even if I am becoming aware of it, unless it appears as damaging & in urgent need of review, then I don't really even label it to myself.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe