User Tag List

First 123 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Alight owl View Post
    I'd say that partly the bottling up of my feelings comes because I am trying to understand them before I allow myself to feel them (Ni-Ti loop).
    This, totally. Ni-Ti loops can look a lot like Ti-inferior Fe. If I feel anything I am not sure is in proportion to the situation, an appropriate response, irrational or impractical, I try to shut it down. (This is speaking more for the past, as I am a lot more in touch with my emotions now.) My response is to hyper-analyze my response, identify all the underlying beliefs, and evaluate whether or not they are true, then tell myself what is true. It actually helps a lot, but incorporating a more feeling-friendly approach is more effective.
    And then partly because I'm all Fe in the world, I don't want others to feel bad so sometimes I cover up my bad feelings, and that can equate to not allowing myself to feel them.
    For me it doesn't have anything to do with how other people feel directly; I am indirectly very concerned that I will alienate people or make them very angry at me and then they will be hostile to me. Also I tend to assume I'm overreacting, so I usually go over and over the situation and get another perspective on it before I'm sure I am justified in feeling how I do.
    I have read that INFJs tend to feel other people's emotions, but have real trouble with their own...
    For me I have trouble sometimes identifying how much of what I feel is mine and how much is someone else's. It's easier to detach from a situation if I know I am just absorbing someone's mood. Also I have higher standards for myself than I do for other people, so that means standards of practicality, rationality, logic, and maturity (which I have traditionally and erroneously seen as being in conflict with emotion). If someone else makes a mistake I'm more likely to be indulgent.
    When your feelings explode, what does it look like?
    I feel like I am full of righteous anger or indignation, and I can't be nice any longer. I feel there is injustice going on which I am going to fight for. I have something to say and it needs to be said (or so I think), so I say it. Normally I try to be objective and rational, but when my feelings explode I feel that the truth is not objective, if that makes any sense, which it probably doesn't.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    This, totally. Ni-Ti loops can look a lot like Ti-inferior Fe. If I feel anything I am not sure is in proportion to the situation, an appropriate response, irrational or impractical, I try to shut it down. (This is speaking more for the past, as I am a lot more in touch with my emotions now.) My response is to hyper-analyze my response, identify all the underlying beliefs, and evaluate whether or not they are true, then tell myself what is true. It actually helps a lot, but incorporating a more feeling-friendly approach is more effective.
    What do you feel would be the main difference between Ti-Ni loop and inferior Fe.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    What do you feel would be the main difference between Ti-Ni loop and inferior Fe.
    Good question. I relate about equally to inferior Fe and Se. I decided I am INFJ rather than INTP for many reasons, but this was not one of them. I guess it's just a process of comparing the functions of the two types and seeing which one fits more. If you think you might be ISTP then it might be harder, because they have the same functions- but INFJ and ISTP are rather different archetypes. I guess what it came down to with me was realizing just how Ni I am, being able to see inferior Se in myself, seeing how I could rule out Ne and Si, and realizing that I am more N than T, and more like INFJ than ENTP

I still maintain that having your tertiary more developed than the auxiliary isn't necessarily a big problem, as long as you make efforts to become a balanced and functional person. I think I can comfortably use Ti as an auxiliary, as long as I sufficiently extrovert any of the functions.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Good question. I relate about equally to inferior Fe and Se. I decided I am INFJ rather than INTP for many reasons, but this was not one of them. I guess it's just a process of comparing the functions of the two types and seeing which one fits more. If you think you might be ISTP then it might be harder, because they have the same functions- but INFJ and ISTP are rather different archetypes. I guess what it came down to with me was realizing just how Ni I am, being able to see inferior Se in myself, seeing how I could rule out Ne and Si, and realizing that I am more N than T, and more like INFJ than ENTP

I still maintain that having your tertiary more developed than the auxiliary isn't necessarily a big problem, as long as you make efforts to become a balanced and functional person. I think I can comfortably use Ti as an auxiliary, as long as I sufficiently extrovert any of the functions.
    Well I’m actually pretty sure I’m an INFJ as I’m not extroverted in the least nor am I a sensing type. I also don’t like change or uncertainty so despite my occasionally messy desk or room I don’t identify with perceivers. I plan almost everything I do from start to finish and I get apprehensive if it changes. I was more or less asking because @superunknown gave some valid reason for it being inferior Fe and you seemed to suggest it was also ni-ti loop. If it could be either or I just needed to know how they were different lol. Just feeding into my own curiosity. I don’t know any Istp’s or Intp’s well at least none confirmed so I was hoping you could tell me…or confirm my hunch rather. See I think the difference might lie in motivation or rather subjective reasoning.

Perhaps thinking types inferior Fe causes repression because it’s simply not as valuable as some other logical factor. A T probably wouldn’t normally be all that concerned with going with what you feel anyway so why start now.(not that they aren’t capable of feeling) Instead they might just say ok Fe what is the quickest way to get out of this emotional situation? Fe feeds them a socially acceptable solution and their back with in their comfort zone with no regard to how they actually felt about it for a while. Eventually because they have not solved the issue it builds up over time causing what the Op described. Another possibility for inferior Fe is that those types also have a P preference. It might make them more open to the fact that it’s all in their head. Then when they can’t come to a logical conclusion Fe makes them seek that social affirmation and says go with the flow until you can’t any more. Perhaps also a combination of both?

Ni-Ti loop however in a Fe aux like INFJ would probably be along the lines of what you and @Alight owl described. So I agree with you. That makes sense to me. Making sure your feelings are valid before you actually feel them ect. I’d say I identify with this one more.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

@fia I have that Te-like stress reaction too, though I have never equated it to mbti. I think of it as 4---unhealthy 1 on the enneagram.
    I wonder if non-4 INFJs have anything to weigh in?

I also do the silly jokey thing. It's actually my way of coping with that Te-unhealthy 1-anger/control. I just have to laugh at myself. I find that I mainly do this when I'm out with people or when I really don't want to make a fuss (because above all, I don't want other people to think that I'm fussy or a burden). I have a much harder time taking myself lightly in private, but if I'm with someone who can lightly bring me out of my funk, I do try.

I'd say that it is rare that I explode too, except in company of my closest people. Then I'm totally blazingly honest, and can get quite nihilistic and misanthropic and really hard to be around.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

@iNtrovert: I wonder if you've checked out this website?

He does a really -- really good job of describing the introverted intuitives (based on his own personality type and I think the types of people that he has observed / interviewed). Anyway, he says that INFJs should more properly be labeled as dominant perceivers, because their main function is Ni, which is a perceiving function.

I know for me, the more (stereotypical) J I feel, the worse mental/emotional state I am in. I am much better off in the woods looking at leaves.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Its not that INFJ ignores Fi, its that they habitually ignore the subjective side of F, if it doesent go hand in hand with the objective side of F. This is what defines Fe, and Fi would be the opposite of this(habitually ignoring the objective side), so because this E or I of a function is about habitually leaning to one way or another and you cant habitually lean both ways, you cant have both Fi and Fe.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I've been wondering myself, particularly given the fact that Jung states Se users tend to "repress" their intuitive perceptions, finding them alien or something. I think it has to do with the fact that Se users prefer the actual, and intuitive perception does not align with that preference.

For me... I'm not sure. I have ideas, but meh. I'm super passive about every and anything. Maybe it manifests as passive-aggressive tendency?
    Do you enjoy imagination-playtime?
    @superunknown
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

I find that I usually have to talk about my feelings before I start to understand them, which can drive my family crazy. I've heard that's typical of Fe

I'd say that it is rare that I explode too, except in company of my closest people. Then I'm totally blazingly honest, and can get quite nihilistic and misanthropic and really hard to be around.
    I'm also more likely to loose my temper around the people I'm closest too. My anger can be explosive, though I think I'm having better luck controlling it over the past couple of years. My sister told me it hurt her when I would "explode" about something that wasn't her fault just to vent, so I've been trying to do that less.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ribonuke View Post
    Query: If INFJs prefer to use Extroverted Feeling, theoretically ignoring their Introverted Feeling in the process, then would INFJs be prone to bottling up their emotions until something triggers the feelings to explode? (Especially if it's due to the result of a sudden Ni-fueled realization?)
    The way I understand shadow functions to work is:

The opposite or the "unconsious" expression of the particular cognitive function, not necessrily the letter.

i.e. INFJ is NiFeTiSe so that would translate to NeFiTeSi, which is ENFP.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft