User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default Thinking out loud: Introverts do it too, don't they?

I remember reading somewhere that Extraverts have a greater tendency to "think out loud" than Introverts. Is this true? I know quite a number of Introverts (myself and my mother included, both almost certainly INFJs) who think out loud even when (we think) we're alone. Hell, I myself will even carry on conversations with animals as if they were people; you should hear some of the weird taunts that come out of my mouth when I'm spraying ant-killer all around my room!

But I digress... if Extraverts are supposedly more likely to 'think out loud' than Introverts do, then what Introverts are most likely to think out loud? Those who use Feeling (IxFPs and IxFJs)?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I do it. Sometimes by myself and sometimes with others. I rather enjoy it with people I trust.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I think out loud all the time; sometimes it's talking to myself, other times it's by bouncing a bunch of ideas around with other people - the more you generate, the better the progress!

Guilty.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I tend to think out loud at times. I also do the conversation thing you mentioned. So, yep.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I almost never think out loud. Very rarely I'll do so when extremely tired, or if there is lots of background chatter as a focusing technique.

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I see...maybe it's more of a thing people with Extraverted Feeling do, then?

I guess that would make sense; people with Extraverted Feeling might be more prone to anthropomorphizing different ideologies in our brain, so it would be like envisioning some sort of dialogue with ourselves, with the other parts of our brain as its audience?

I think part of the reason why I myself do it is to try and convert my thoughts from a less visual/abstract format into a more verbal/concrete medium. I just realized that my thought processes are a lot less easily described as I previously gave myself credit for. For instance today, while I was attempting to explain to my dad (an ENFJ) the uncomfortably close connection between one of my acquaintances and his own father, I was at a loss for words. Any word that I attempted to use--"spoiled", "awkward", "uncomfortable", "dishonest"--failed to capture the true essence of the idea in my head; even now, I still can't seem to find any concrete evidence or concepts to back up my claims, other than from what I know about the general character of the acquaintance and his father... ._.;; Ah well.

Then again, I also tend to talk to myself whenever I feel like my thoughts need to be expressed, even when I have no suitable audience present. But instead of carrying on full-fledged conversations with myself, however, I would say it tends to come forth in random one-liners and declarations.

For instance, when I was doing research for a project about American Railway safety in the latter 19th Century and read the following line from an article about a horrific accident that occurred in 1871:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.celebrateboston.com/disasters/revere-train-wreck-1871.htm
    Passengers were trapped inside the splintered coach, with survivors having to pry off the roof to try and free victims. The steam boiler on the locomotive burst, with boiling water scalding to death some of the trapped passengers.
    If I remember correctly, I was alone in my room when I read this, and my reaction was a mixture of cringing and squeamish laughter, soon followed by the verbal exclamation "Oh god, this is horrible! What were those bigwigs in engineering thinking when they designed that train?!" Which is more in line with what I was thinking in the first place when I brought up the subject of "thinking aloud".

((By the way, I meant to post this in the general MBTI forum, but I guess I posted it here by mistake! ^^;; But that's alright; I was more interested in hearing the perspectives of my fellow INFx brethren. The question itself arose due to writing, when I realized that one of my characters--who I think may be either an IxTP or INFJ in a Ni-Ti loop--was prone to thinking out loud.))

Absolutely. Especially when I start getting stuck. I start jumping around shaking it off, then start rambling out loud until it all becomes coherent.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I do it. Sometimes by myself and sometimes with others. I rather enjoy it with people I trust.
    Same here.

I also talk to inanimate objects
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Oh yes, I definitely do that. I can sometimes forget that there are others around me when reading and laugh out loud or mutter at my book...

Plus, talking "at" people can sometimes help me get my thoughts in order.