User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Yes, this is emotional protection also. As Jung notes - Fi is like a sensitive plant shrinking back from the object.

But I'm also referring to resisting the affect of external valuations, often communicated with emotional affect; it's to keep from being swayed from popular ideas that may not represent what is truly significant to the human experience. For feeling to grow in depth, to create & refine an inner guage of value concepts, you have to strip away the external contexts to funnel down into the fundamental concepts of what is important for humans - outside of culture, time, and very specific experiences.

When swayed, it is with Ne - what shows a connection to some ideal, even if it's just potential, so that you se such a myriad of ways for a value-concept to manifest the flexibility is kept intact. This is where the INFP NOT "door-slamming" in any permanent way is more common than not. It is very hard to kill all potential. it really takes a lot to drain something once full of it. The kind of depression that can plunge you into is rough. So sometimes you have to just let go of potential before you reach that point. It's more of an emotional protection again. And I think this paragraph reiterates what you said - basically, there is not always the win-win or the potential.

This makes me think of my response to something that's been happening in the news in my country. I won't bore you with the details but basically it's major scandal about how a large company screwed up and put its customers in danger (as well as the entire national economy). The uproar has been so emotive, and every time I hear about it or someone comments on it, I get strangely edgy. My mum goes on rants about how terribly the company behaved. She asks me about what I think and looks for me to demonstrate agreement (you know, relating to basic ethical stuff: that deceiving people is bad, that companies need to take safety seriously etc) but I can't answer; all I want to do is get out of talking about it. Yes, the situation is bad, and yes, they've done something wrong, but I just can't engage in the debate. In fact, I almost want to isolate myself from the debate. It's not that I don't care, but I just can't handle hearing all the emotive statements and speculation. In conversations about it, I just try to get away with making vague, non-committal replies, or saying that I don't know all the facts yet etc - but I don't think it's really about facts at all. I suppose, when I think of it, for me it's like I'm being told how to feel, before I've decided for myself. That just makes me desperately want to back away.

And BTW, I agree with you on the doorslamming thing too.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Ahh, using photos of an ISTP really enforces my idea that you're actually ISTP.
    My Feeling is rather low compared to the other preferences, but I'm still not buying this Sensor business. I'm in my head way too much.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Not necessarily. Thwarted, struggling or immature Fi is just very self aggrandizing and malevolent. Petty.

It can show up in TJ people in hella nasty ways. Look at Ayn Rand.

And Hitler was probably an xNFJ.

Charles Manson might have been an ENFP.

Most FPs are actually hated more for their honesty authenticity and vulnerability more than their evil. Think Katy Perry and Avril Lavigne and Morrissey and me.

Uncomfortable. Mockable yet simultaneously threatening. Not so much evil.

Dude do you really think Syd Vicious and David Lynch are "evil."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    IxFPs are more the power behind the throne types I would think. Why do the dirty work when you can get others to do it for you?
    My ESFJ ex deeply envied my power to insult people. He threw barbs around like a thoughtless careless expert of making people feel unpopular, but he deeply admired my ability to really turn the knife in a very specific and psychological way when called upon.

You're so accurate and detailed he said. You could destroy some one.

Just doing my service to humanity I said. I hate repression.

I just dole it out more carefully and purposefully. In some people's minds that may be evil, but I see it as a gift.

Writers are actually worse than musicians. Musicians just use your body. Writers use your soul.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I could see that in these terms. If Fi's gift is to really, deeply, genuinely know the interior of something... then its potential is to be able to know how best to destroy that.
    Yes that is exactly what I am getting at.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    (This is the original source for all theories on cognitive functions, btw)

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

He talks a bit about the ways morality can and cannot be derived by the functions, and in what manners they will manifest themselves and such.

To be fair, the Te profile is just as scary, in places - but the Te parts are more like being afraid of your dad. The Fi parts are more like being afraid of what's under your bed.
    Ha ha like in my first year on this website I listed my location as under the bed.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Sorry, all thoughtless stupid evil is committed by NTPs.

FYP.

NTPs are casually and indiscriminately evil. That's why I hate them.

Evil should be more specific.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Have I told you lately that I love you?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Hmm...I've had some pretty diabolical ideas of how to wreak havok on society and create chaos. Frankly, I'm surprised nobody has tried them before. But I don't have a desire to act on those ideas, nor any homicidal inclinations that I'm aware of. But if I were to snap, it would probably be targeted killings of people who have enraged me rather than random, spontaneous attacks on innocent people; which makes the aforementioned ideas useless.
    Despite what ever difference we have had in the past, I congratulate you on having a soul. Killing specific people for reasons I can deal with. Spree killing is one of those inhuman things done by TPs.

( ps I was recently alerted that discriminatory type bashing is a ok here per one of the mods).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Ahh, using photos of an ISTP really enforces my idea that you're actually ISTP.
    Are you crazy? That guy is the biggest SJ who ever did SJ. That is how an SJ goes mad.

That's JTGs totem right there.