User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ

Default INFJs and others who thought they were INFJ

Why are you INFJ?
    Or for others who thought they were INFJ at one time, why did you think you were INFJ?

How do you relate to Ni or Fe? What do they mean to you...or work for you?

I only know one other INFJ in real life and we are quite a bit alike. However, the INFJs here are so different from each other. It appears. People are complicated and many things go into a person's make up--upbringing, culture, tragedy, life experiences, gender, illness.

So...what makes you INFJ.
    Or what made you decide that you are not INFJ.

Thank you.

Enneagram
    N/A

Hello.

I was typed as an INFJ once. I don't think I am, though. I didn't pick that for myself at first. Still, I didn't mind feeling like that was my type.

I saw myself as someone using Fe because I thought that Fe meant being warm/friendly. Also, I like exploring people's inner world, my own included (I call it seeing the quiet fire).
    I have this weird way of explaining my experiences. So let's say I am remembering what it's like touring a new home or something, I'll describe how the atmosphere affected me/what mood it put me in/where it took me inside of my mind. I think that is how I thought I used Ni.

Anyway, I decided that I might not use Fe as my primary judging function, mainly because I don't understand it yet. I am certain of being a feeler... I think.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This could require more thought, but I'll add something. I first thought it because that is how I tested before I knew anything about MBTI. I relate strongly to Ni because I do tend too approach life in an iNuitive, abstract, big picture sort of way. I have an enormous need for internal coherency and some kinds of external coherency. I have a dichotomy of distant observation and visceral empathy which also makes me think Ni-Fe. My thinking function is much more Ti and internalized. My inner world feels like Ni-Ti because it is distant, analytical, non-linear wholistic, drawn to the vastness of reality, and can process logic and that sort of nebulous aspects of reality that defy words.

I think I relate to Fe-Se externally because I am very much go with the flow in these two aspects and also internalize these. I'm deeply affected by extremes of Fe and Se in my external environment. I think as an INFJ I experience the whole Fe thing extremely differently that others might because I'm not group oriented. I am intrigued by abstract sociological systems and think about those a lot, but when it comes to my own morality and emotional/social experiences, I have to focus individually, although I focus easily on someone outside myself. I look deeply inside people and so can only handle one at time. Same is true of sensory things. I can experience whatever I encounter rather intensely and so am quickly overwhelmed by these and can't handle too much at a time.

I think that is also because I try to create coherency between the inner and outer worlds. Ni tries to construct a sense of the whole of reality and so I internalize more details than I can quickly sort through. I have to take a lot of time to make sense of each encounter with the outside world.

Edit: Also, I think that if you don't relate to being a T-dom or an F-dom, it is important to realize that an N-dom or S-dom are completely different. People on MBTI analysis tend to still look to the T or F function, but I think being an N-dom makes a person just as different from T or F as those are from each other. People who are really strong Ni or Ne-dom should be a little harder to peg in terms of F or T, but I suppose that is just my opinion, although it seems like at least a somewhat educated guess.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ

Thank you, @fia. Thank you, @thoughtlost.

Fia, I relate to much of what you said, I just would never be able to express it in such a way.

Noting what you said about Fe being different for INFJs.

To me, Fe is the thing that keeps me in "real life" and not in my head. Even when I want to be quiet and alone, Fe will make me want to see to another person's needs, which is often just a friendly word or ear. It's what I use to quietly "feel out" someone when I first meet them. I listen, warmly nod or smile at the appropriate places and once I've figured them out (somewhat), I can adjust to what they need or need me to be for them.

Is that Fe?

The INFJs here appear to be so vastly different from one another, it's confusing.
    Keeping in mind that I am not attached to the INFJ label, am I an INFJ? Does anyone have an opinion?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by hazelsees View Post
    To me, Fe is the thing that keeps me in "real life" and not in my head. Even when I want to be quiet and alone, Fe will make me want to see to another person's needs, which is often just a friendly word or ear. It's what I use to quietly "feel out" someone when I first meet them. I listen, warmly nod or smile at the appropriate places and once I've figured them out (somewhat), I can adjust to what they need or need me to be for them.

Is that Fe?

The INFJs here appear to be so vastly different from one another, it's confusing.
    Keeping in mind that I am not attached to the INFJ label, am I an INFJ? Does anyone have an opinion?
    I'll try to remember to notice. I have noticed that you internalize things which is also in INFJ descriptions, and what you have said here sounds INFJ to me.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Before I discovered the MBTI I noticed that my thinking pattern was weird and I tried to explain it to other people and say it's like "a bunch of goldfish trying to eat a piece of bread". Then I read the Ni description and went "OMG. That's Ni!"

I also identify with Fe, ever since I understood what it was about. In fact, I never knew Fi existed until I learned about the MBTI.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I met some sane Ni doms and some insane Ni doms.

The insane ones taught me I am not an Ni dom the sane ones taught me the value of Ni.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP

As a young musician I thought I was an INFJ, then I thought INTJ (I liked thinking this), but finally realized it was INTP. The reasons are ...

• Only basic knowledge of MBTI (didn't know about the functions and the dominant-inferior dynamic)
    • Since I was a musician and idealized it due to an inferior INTP Fe grip I wanted to believe I was a INFJ mystic
    • Misunderstanding myself due to youth and inexperience

Eventually I married an INFJ and it was obvious I wasn't. As time went on and I learned more about MBTI it became clear that I was an INTP obsessive.

The best way to type yourself or another is to recognize the dominant first, then recognize the inferior, often by looking for inferior grip experiences.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Some factors that make me think I am INFJ

- identification with the sentiments/responses/reactions of many INFJs here, despite as being slightly differently "flavoured"
    - love of analogies, from a Ni tendency to look for common threads between things that not everyone would view as being in the same category.
    - projection of observed trends and behaviour patterns into predicting what I can expect in the future - this seems to be a Ni thing as well
    - Fe orientation towards other people, using Ni to decide how best to interact with them. Needing other's responses to react to to sort out my own thoughts and articulate them. Need for discussion to clear my head of excess baggage so that I can go on with decision making.
    - Ti need for preciseness and accuracy/classification before wanting the discussion to develop further. Need for developing thoughts as fully as possible on my own before expressing them to others.
    - Noticing that I had similar reactions to a whole bunch of people (whom I later found out all had a Fi-Te perspective that was very foreign to me.
    - Natural talents/career tendencies match up well - service oriented, people oriented - counselling, teaching, humanities, arts
    - Negative Se traits coming out when under stress - sleeping patterns, eating patterns, spending patterns
    - Need for connection to people, while still requiring recharging time in a less social environment.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Some factors that make me think I am INFJ

- identification with the sentiments/responses/reactions of many INFJs here, despite as being slightly differently "flavoured"
    - love of analogies, from a Ni tendency to look for common threads between things that not everyone would view as being in the same category.
    - projection of observed trends and behaviour patterns into predicting what I can expect in the future - this seems to be a Ni thing as well
    - Fe orientation towards other people, using Ni to decide how best to interact with them. Needing other's responses to react to to sort out my own thoughts and articulate them. Need for discussion to clear my head of excess baggage so that I can go on with decision making.
    - Ti need for preciseness and accuracy/classification before wanting the discussion to develop further. Need for developing thoughts as fully as possible on my own before expressing them to others.
    - Noticing that I had similar reactions to a whole bunch of people (whom I later found out all had a Fi-Te perspective that was very foreign to me.
    - Natural talents/career tendencies match up well - service oriented, people oriented - counselling, teaching, humanities, arts
    - Negative Se traits coming out when under stress - sleeping patterns, eating patterns, spending patterns
    - Need for connection to people, while still requiring recharging time in a less social environment.