• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Stuttering and Type

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I send thankful greetings to everyone that has decided to view my post! Anyway, I am a very strong-preferenced ENFP with an enneatype of 7w6. I love to communicate with others, but I prefer writing to speaking. I stutter so badly, that I can't always be understood. Many ENFP's I know are also stutterers. Could stuttering happen more with certain types?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I admit I associate this with Ne/Si types most. For Ne types, it seems to be related to idea-flooding, and trying to articulate many things at once, as well as "reaching" for something not quite put into words mentally but simply "intuited". Unlike Ni types, Ne types are less likely to meditate & compose speech, but rather they'll kind of make it up as they go along, sputtering out stuff & trying to link it as they go. Sometimes it feels like Ne types are "buying time" with stuttering :D .

For Si types, it can seem more like inhibition, as if they're not confident in what is coming out; or instead of idea-flooding, "fact-flooding". They usually seem more flustered when they stutter.

Honestly though, I would not use this to type someone nor put any weight on any patterns because it's likely less to do with type than lots of other reasons (for some its insecurity/timidity, for others, just a weird speech habit, etc).

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I admit I associate this with Ne/Si types most. For Ne types, it seems to be related to idea-flooding, and trying to articulate many things at once, as well as "reaching" for something not quite put into words mentally but simply "intuited". Unlike Ni types, Ne types are less likely to meditate & compose speech, but rather they'll kind of make it up as they go along, sputtering out stuff & trying to link it as they go. Sometimes it feels like Ne types are "buying time" with stuttering :D .

For Si types, it can seem more like inhibition, as if they're not confident in what is coming out; or instead of idea-flooding, "fact-flooding". They usually seem more flustered when they stutter.

Honestly though, I would not use this to type someone nor put any weight on any patterns because it's likely less to do with type than lots of other reasons (for some its insecurity/timidity, for others, just a weird speech habit, etc).

I can completely relate to "idea-flooding."

It reminds me of an old adage my grandmother often uses about a "watermelon through a hose."

Regardless, many of the jobs I would like to have require speech clarity, and here I stutter worse that Porky Pig. I also have a thick southern accent, which makes it even harder to talk to somebody while out of town.

That reminds me of another question…
How should I go about using my academic scholarship?

I'm from a very rural area, so I'm not familiar with many jobs that require a degree except teachers, doctors, and flight attendants. My father is dead and my mother couldn't afford to send me on a second trip…

I have to pick the perfect major in one shot and I'm parylized with indecision. Any advice?

Also, how could I slow my mind down when I need to? I overload a lot…

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think for Ne types, if the issue is idea-flooding & too-fast mind, then a solution can be advanced-preparation & practice. This is something many NPs hate, because we might prefer some degree of improvisation. But if you prepare in advance, then you're able to think of how to articulate ideas & connect them without being on the spot, and you can practice delivery & smooth things out.

It can also help to simply slow down. My mom told me once to speak as if in slow-motion to me & it will sounds normal to others, because I tend to speak very quickly & when excited & experiencing some idea-flooding, this can lead to mild stuttering & poor enunciation.

Despite stuttering or jumbling up speech, many Ne-dom are extremely charismatic in speaking and can endear their audience with the energy they emit. I've noted that in schools & colleges, Ne-dom instructors are extremely popular with students &, IMO, it's in-part because they are not overly polished.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i know an INTJ who used to stutter when he was a kid

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think for Ne types, if the issue is idea-flooding & too-fast mind, then a solution can be advanced-preparation & practice. This is something many NPs hate, because we might prefer some degree of improvisation. But if you prepare in advance, then you're able to think of how to articulate ideas & connect them without being on the spot, and you can practice delivery & smooth things out.

It can also help to simply slow down. My mom told me once to speak as if in slow-motion to me & it will sounds normal to others, because I tend to speak very quickly & when excited & experiencing some idea-flooding, this can lead to mild stuttering & poor enunciation.

Despite stuttering or jumbling up speech, many Ne-dom are extremely charismatic in speaking and can endear their audience with the energy they emit. I've noted that in schools & colleges, Ne-dom instructors are extremely popular with students &, IMO, it's in-part because they are not overly polished.

I can definitely relate to speaking fast. My mom says I also run my words together.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can relate. I don't have a "real" stutter but I speak very quickly and when I experience "idea-flooding" I can seem somewhat incoherent or even stutter a bit.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm an INFP E-6 who has stuttered since I was in preschool. :(

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
stuttering is a motor planning/coordination disorder that is genetically linked. there are a lot of cases of 'normal disfluencies' that we all experience from time to time. as an Ne-dom, i do it all the time. with my rapidly changing thoughts, general excitement about life, and poor motor coordination, i can get pretty jumbled with my words sometimes.

but true stuttering is a different condition all together. if you are born stuttering (develop it early in life), then you will more than likely never be 'cured'. it's just something that those people need to learn to manage and work with in order to speak in a way that makes them and their listeners feel as comfortable as possible. it's a neurological difference, and i wouldn't think it was type related.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I stutter, but it's more of I can't remember how to pronounce something or remember the word, and it can be a word I've said a billion times perfectly fine, and then randomly I'll forget how to say it and stumble over it and get stuck on the sylable i'm randomly having trouble with. I'm not sure if that's related to NE or not, as it has nothing to do with speed of thoughts.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I stutter when having a panic attack or when very anxious. An overwhelming flood of Ne worries and fears that feel so urgent in their need for resolution.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't stutter, but I talk super fast. My brain is always flying a mile a minute with Ne, and I find my natural style of conversation tends to do the same. Sometimes people have a hard time understanding me because of it. Also, when I was younger, I would just start laughing if I had to speak in front of a crowd. Nothing funny about it, but I'd laugh anyway. Thankfully, I'm not this way anymore.

noneya

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFJ here... I had a stuttering issue all last year when I was under some of the worst stress I've ever faced. Once I got mentally healthy and my stress dissipated, the stuttering stopped... food for thought :rly???: