User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    *I don't list any indigenous wild cats of North America who could maul me, because all kitties are friends
    Or the kitty might use you as food. Awhile back there was an incident not too far from me where a female jogger was killed and partially eaten by a mountain lion.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Or the kitty might use you as food. Awhile back there was an incident not too far from me where a female jogger was killed and partially eaten by a mountain lion.
    I'm ok with that.. it just means they love me so much they want me to be part of them, right?

(this does not apply to other animals, logic be damned)

I don't jog so this would be less likely to occur, either way. That said- I'm also ok with Jack eating my face off when I die an old wacky recluse in my apartment someday.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I'm ok with that.. it just means they love me so much they want me to be part of them, right?

(this does not apply to other animals, logic be damned)

I don't jog so this would be less likely to occur, either way. That said- I'm also ok with Jack eating my face off when I die an old wacky recluse in my apartment someday.
    Well I was kind of expecting you to like the idea.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

...picturing them stranded on an island, vomiting whatever insects/plants they'd managed to find before they'd finally bludgeoned an injured seagull with a rock.. only to be unable to eat the protein rich meat.. & losing the other nutrients..
    OMG!

But seriously about blood and general 'gross things' -- I think people are just so spoiled nowadays they cannot stand talk about things that are entirely natural, like bodily functions, or child birth, or how internal organs work. Life is ugly! Deal with it!
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I have no problem with people catching/killing their own food. I think people who eat meat but refuse to kill the animals themselves are hypocrites..
    That's a valid point. I should make it clear that I think I probably could. I certainly can't see myself having any issues with catching a fish and eating it.

If animals are organisms that have an equal right to life as humans because they have feelings or souls or whatever, why don't they have morality? And if they have morality, isn't the ethical thing to do to kill wolves and bears for eating other animals, including the sheep and livestock that so many people feel bad about eating?

I think a lot of the difference is honestly Thinking vs. Feeling. Even Thinking vegetarians approach their vegetarianism in a vastly different way. I don't think I've ever heard a vegetarian Thinker say that eating animals is inherently wrong, merely that there's something wrong with our current methods of agriculture.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

violaine

I'm INFJ. I became a vegetarian at 13. I felt bad for animals. *rolls eyes at self* I think I stunted my growth because I stopped growing at 13. Which I deeply regret. I started eating meat again at about 26 and I have not looked back. I could happily live on meat for the rest of my days. I knew I needed to start eating it again because I was always so pale and emotional. And I used to have to work out about two to three hours a day to stay thin. I hardly need to do anything now that I'm back to eating meat. To transition, I used to make myself walk through the meat aisle at the supermarket to desensitize myself. It used to make me cry. LOL! Then I ordered a steak for my birthday one night and went meat crazy. :-).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    If animals are organisms that have an equal right to life as humans because they have feelings or souls or whatever, why don't they have morality? And if they have morality, isn't the ethical thing to do to kill wolves and bears for eating other animals, including the sheep and livestock that so many people feel bad about eating?
    I think morality is a human construct and therefore does not apply to animals. It's not that animals are in anyway 'lesser' than us. It's just that the same concept is not applicable to them. I believe animals have souls, the same kind that we have, but when put in a different physical form they have a totally different kind of reality and awareness. In the grander scheme of things, nothing is inherently right or wrong; it's us who made up the criteria and make it so. Living and dying is part of this system we happen to exist in. In the end nothing really matters. I think that's why it's all up to the individual to find their own meaning.

Sorry if that sounds a bit existentialistic
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    OMG!

But seriously about blood and general 'gross things' -- I think people are just so spoiled nowadays they cannot stand talk about things that are entirely natural, like bodily functions, or child birth, or how internal organs work. Life is ugly! Deal with it!
    Yeah, i really don't understand why farts are taboo, and I get annoyed with people who act like this. Perhaps I'm desensitized because I had a hypochondriac ISTJ dad who would always talk about how was "shitting has brains out" at the dinner table.

I also dislike in funerals how they try and shield you from the fact there's a dead person involved, just because it makes some people uncomfortable. I get no sense of finality just from seeing a box that I'm told has a body in it lowered into the ground. I didn't know that box, I knew the person inside it. But people get upset if you remind them that aren't going to live for ever, so we can't have that. There is no intimacy in modern funerals, because there's so much money in helping to cover up the fact that people die and are gone. It's like a stage play, rather than a meditation on ephemerality.

I want buzzards and vultures to eat out my organs, like the Tibetans or Zoroastrians do. I don't see what good my dead body is doing anyone or anything rotting in some stupid box. That, or maybe cremate me and plant a memorial tree or something. Don't treat me like I'm so damn important in the grand scheme of things that I have to take up space even when I'm dead. That being said, I find cemeteries to be really peaceful places. They're like parks without any kids.

I think morality is a human construct and therefore does not apply to animals. It's not that animals are in anyway 'lesser' than us. It's just that the same concept is not applicable to them. I believe animals have souls, the same kind that we have, but when put in a different physical form they have a totally different kind of reality and awareness. In the grander scheme of things, nothing is inherently right or wrong; it's us who made up the criteria and make it so. Living and dying is part of this system we happen to exist in. In the end nothing really matters. I think that's why it's all up to the individual to find their own meaning.
    I think studying history and ancient literature and seeing what people considered right or wrong thousands of years ago demonstrates that this is so. I still nonetheless believe that morality is important and people need morality, even if there is a strong relative component to morality.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    That being said, I find cemeteries to be really peaceful places. They're like parks without any kids.
    Same here! I love cemeteries -- but maybe for a different reason. I find them incredibly romantic. They are just so full of love

I think studying history and ancient literature and seeing what people considered right or wrong thousands of years ago demonstrates that this is so. I still nonetheless believe that morality is important and people need morality, even if there is a strong relative component to morality.
    Totally agree with this
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    We had a young hawk get into our pen and the hens were not amused. It probably had flashbacks if it ever saw another chicken.

But, yeah, feeding every morning and evening and cleaning every week or so is a drag, especially in the dead of winter. It is no doubt better than starving, but unless it looks like it's coming to that, I don't think I'm going to be that ambitious.
    Weird fact.

Historically, pigeons were actually a common food source. People built dovecotes link and some didn't even endeavor to feed the birds on their own. They simply built a nesting site for the birds, let them flock, lay eggs, forage for their own food, and then they'd regularly collect the eggs and occasionally a bird for easy protein.

dovecote.jpg

Pigeons have been used for a variety of domestic uses for thousands of years, possibly long before chickens took the stage.

The guano is considered especially good as a fertilizer.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.