User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    N/A

Default INFPs who want to be INFJs...

I've been seeing this everywhere. There are too many INFPs who think they're INFJ because INFJs are, supposedly, rarer. INFPs want to feel special, therefore INFJ sounds more appealing.

There's also this common idea that INFJs are "better" because people think of them as these emotional/rational super hybrids. Whereas, INFPs are thought of as these silly/idealistic/hopeless romantics who have no logical processing abilities.

In order to make actual INFPs feel better about being an INFP (because it's not a bad thing FFS), what strengths do INFPs have that INFJs lack?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

INFJs can be sticks in the mud sometimes. I think our senses of humor are better and we're less uptight.
    Likes lulabelle, Virgo1987 liked this post

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

NPs are better at bouncing around and exploring random ideas than their more focused NJ counterparts.

I also wouldn't really say that INFJs seem more rational than INFPs, even if they are more impartial. When I think of rationalization, much of it involves the construction of theories and creative imagination, which INFPs tend to do well.

INFJs would have their own strengths too of course, like transformation into the future, but INFPs are more free.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsia View Post
    I've been seeing this everywhere. There are too many INFPs who think they're INFJ because INFJs are, supposedly, rarer. INFPs want to feel special, therefore INFJ sounds more appealing.

There's also this common idea that INFJs are "better" because people think of them as these emotional/rational super hybrids. Whereas, INFPs are thought of as these silly/idealistic/hopeless romantics who have no logical processing abilities.

In order to make actual INFPs feel better about being an INFP (because it's not a bad thing FFS), what strengths do INFPs have that INFJs lack?
    Is this premise correct? Is that what people think in general? Aside from the whole "INFJs are psychic" thrill, I don't see any reason that INFPs would ever want to be INFJs. I didn't know that INFJs are seen as "emotional/rational super-hybrids". I suspect that there are a number of female INFJs who are actually INTJs, or possibly there is a third category inbetween that could account for that hybrid theory. I always thought that INFPs were considered much more likable in general, seen as having doe eyes and being easy-going and such.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Is this premise correct? Is that what people think in general? Aside from the whole "INFJs are psychic" thrill, I don't see any reason that INFPs would ever want to be INFJs. I didn't know that INFJs are seen as "emotional/rational super-hybrids". I suspect that there are a number of female INFJs who are actually INTJs, or possibly there is a third category inbetween that could account for that hybrid theory. I always thought that INFPs were considered much more likable in general, seen as having doe eyes and being easy-going and such.
    I'm not sure if this is the case on Typology Central, but in several INFJ communities I've observed, there seems to be an influx of INFPs who mistyped themselves. INFPs place great importance on their individuality; since INFJs have been recorded as the rarest of types, INFPs see that as a fitting label since they consider themselves to be unique.

INFJs have Ti, which is something that promotes a degree of impartiality on their part - and it's their tertiary, so it's not as though they're completely inept at it. Many INFJs are mistaken for INTJs due to this. INFPs, on the other hand, do not utilize Ti; instead, they have Te as their inferior (Te does not strive to internally understand logic, but rather, apply it externally). In short, since INFJs have tertiary thinking and INFPs have inferior thinking, people quickly jump to the conclusion that INFJs are more logical/reasonable. No one wants to be thought of as illogical, of course, so you have this group of INFPs who want to be INFJ because they believe them to be both more unique AND superior (I personally do not agree with this idea, but since there are INFPs who think that way, I believed it would be good to have a thread that highlighted the unique strengths of INFPs over INFJs).

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure if this is the case on Typology Central, but in several INFJ communities I've observed, there seems to be an influx of INFPs who mistyped themselves. INFPs place great importance on their individuality; since INFJs have been recorded as the rarest of types, INFPs see that as a fitting label since they consider themselves to be unique.

INFJs have Ti, which is something that promotes a degree of impartiality on their part - and it's their tertiary, so it's not as though they're completely inept at it. Many INFJs are mistaken for INTJs due to this. INFPs, on the other hand, do not utilize Ti; instead, they have Te as their inferior (Te does not strive to internally understand logic, but rather, apply it externally). In short, since INFJs have tertiary thinking and INFPs have inferior thinking, people quickly jump to the conclusion that INFJs are more logical/reasonable. No one wants to be thought of as illogical, of course, so you have this group of INFPs who want to be INFJ because they believe them to be both more unique AND superior (I personally do not agree with this idea, but since there are INFPs who think that way, I believed it would be good to have a thread that highlighted the unique strengths of INFPs over INFJs).
    I think it is a good idea to focus on INFP strengths. We've just recently had some rather hard-core INFJ bashing on this site, so hopefully that won't happen again. I won't share the details, but suffice it to say, "Hitler was an INFJ".

I think INFPs are a wonderful type and one of my favorites for the tendency for inner peace and holding their ground on ethical issues. There is also the ability to have very detailed and accurate perception about subjective systems. When they are correct in this insight, it runs possibly deeper than any other's insight. They can hit the nail on the head in systems that are fuzzy and difficult to define. There is also a logic to their Fi, since it is a rational function. The group as a whole is extremely varied, and I suspect more than any other type - except possibly ISFP, they do articulate their uniqueness as individuals, rather than mimicking the outside world. If any type can find a true sense of self, it is the INFP.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    9w8

I admire INFPs for their individuality and for what fia said, holding their own on ethical issues. I also find them just as creative and inventive as INFJs. It just manifest itself differently.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    You're the devil.

I don't really see much of what you're describing in this forum (INFPs wishing they were INFJs). But unfortunately (and I presume, completely inadvertently) you have worded this in such a way that is (I suspect) going to wind a couple INFPs here up so tightly there'll be no living with them. You might want to hide your immortal soul in a safe place while there's still time.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

*chuckle*

Yeah, I so want to rise to the occasion, but around here, the INFPs can tell you clearly why they're better than INFJs, and besides, I'm way too battered by the recent events to have the energy to go buttering somebody else up. Can't imagine why INFPs or anybody else would want to be an INFJ anyway, srsly.

"doe eyes"