User Tag List

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 205

Thread: INFPs who want to be INFJs...

  1. #21
    Make 2017 a good one! Array Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Nixi
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None
    Posts
    14,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't remember that part very clearly. I would imagine every type has been beaten up on around here at one time or another and most of us are going to remember when it happened to us more than when it happened to somebody else because humans are nasty self-absorbed creatures. I would imagine it's Sensors that get it the worst around here, overall, especially SJs.
    Oh agreed. Sj-smacking seems to be a constant whereas other types get rotated. Tbh, I missed the whole INFJ bashing this time, I think. I havent been that active here lately, but in general I also think that when it aint your type that is being bashed you don't remember/experience/get as into it as you would if it is your type, so I'm sure that is a factor in this case as well. I know ENFJs have their sporadic moments where they get viciously targeted...and I sometimes wonder if that is coz they aint exactly highly represented here either. Like, there aint not that many people to speak up for them, much like the SJs. And the forum is mostly filled with introverted perceivers who prefer a different approach than ENFJs..which does not help I guess.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

  2. #22
    Senior Member Array cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Oh agreed. Sj-smacking seems to be a constant whereas other types get rotated. Tbh, I missed the whole INFJ bashing this time, I think. I havent been that active here lately, but in general I also think that when it aint your type that is being bashed you don't remember/experience/get as into it as you would if it is your type, so I'm sure that is a factor in this case as well. I know ENFJs have their sporadic moments where they get viciously targeted...and I sometimes wonder if that is coz they aint exactly highly represented here either. Like, there aint not that many people to speak up for them, much like the SJs. And the forum is mostly filled with introverted perceivers who prefer a different approach than ENFJs..which does not help I guess.
    Yeah. And it's almost always based on somebody being mad at somebody irl and taking it out on the entire type here, where they can semi-safely do so. I'd probably do it more myself if I had more confidence in my ability to type people. But then there is the thing where for every person of a particular type that bugs me, I have someone of the same type that I
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  3. #23
    baby don't leave me Array Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Enneagram
    845
    Socionics
    LIE Ni
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsia View Post
    I've been seeing this everywhere. There are too many INFPs who think they're INFJ because INFJs are, supposedly, rarer. INFPs want to feel special, therefore INFJ sounds more appealing.

    There's also this common idea that INFJs are "better" because people think of them as these emotional/rational super hybrids. Whereas, INFPs are thought of as these silly/idealistic/hopeless romantics who have no logical processing abilities.

    In order to make actual INFPs feel better about being an INFP (because it's not a bad thing FFS), what strengths do INFPs have that INFJs lack?
    Haha, what a head trip.

  4. #24
    Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Chant we with me INFPs:

    We don't need no stinkin' INFJ badges - hell no!

    Repeat x5

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    INFJs can be sticks in the mud sometimes. I think our senses of humor are better and we're less uptight.
    Amen! The lack of sense of humor on INFJ forums is mind-boggling. And people think INFPs can be passive-aggressive.... well, you can cut that with a knife at an INFJ forum. Fi is so much more RAW and Ne is more playful than NiFe - there's just less tension & phony politeness with INFPs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsia View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the case on Typology Central, but in several INFJ communities I've observed, there seems to be an influx of INFPs who mistyped themselves. INFPs place great importance on their individuality; since INFJs have been recorded as the rarest of types, INFPs see that as a fitting label since they consider themselves to be unique.

    INFJs have Ti, which is something that promotes a degree of impartiality on their part - and it's their tertiary, so it's not as though they're completely inept at it. Many INFJs are mistaken for INTJs due to this. INFPs, on the other hand, do not utilize Ti; instead, they have Te as their inferior (Te does not strive to internally understand logic, but rather, apply it externally). In short, since INFJs have tertiary thinking and INFPs have inferior thinking, people quickly jump to the conclusion that INFJs are more logical/reasonable. No one wants to be thought of as illogical, of course, so you have this group of INFPs who want to be INFJ because they believe them to be both more unique AND superior (I personally do not agree with this idea, but since there are INFPs who think that way, I believed it would be good to have a thread that highlighted the unique strengths of INFPs over INFJs).
    This is what some INFJs want to believe. People supposedly want to be them because they are so speshial and rare. This belies an arrogance NO INFP wants. The issue here is thinking others want to be your type, not that they actually do. This says more about INFJs than INFPs.

    Head over to an INFP forum and there is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less discussion on mistyping & rarity; INFPs have more of a "your real type is less important than your journey of self-discovery" attitude towards people questioning their type or obviously mistyped - which makes me puke patchouli smelling rainbows as I type it even as I know I have that attitude. The INFJ forums have extremely long threads which consist of witch hunts where they call out others for not being as INFJ as they are. And apparently, all mistyped people are INFPs (we're some kind of throw-all category for anyone questioning their type).

    So which type is really more obsessed with speshial-ness? Hmmmm? Yeah, I thought so.

    Now, the idea that INFJs are the demi-gods of MBTI is well-documented across the internet, but this does not make it so in real life & certainly does not make INFPs want to be them. Most of that is based on ideas people have of INFJs that are not sourced in Jungian theory or reality, but are just some mythologizing of the type. INFJs tend to not be as open about their failings & flaws like INFPs are, which perpetuates perceptions they are somehow better, unless more discerning people catch onto the arrogance & lack of self-examination in that tendency.

    Again, there's an arrogance that goes along with thinking you're seen as flawless & worshipped that is repulsive to most INFPs. INFPs tend to enjoy a kind of absurdity that goes along with screwing it up.

    Poor type descriptions tend to lead people to mistype, as well as not understanding themselves that well. Many INFP profiles are also very enneagram 9 heavy, which is alienating to other common enneatypes for INFPs. When people discuss INFP strengths, it frequently sounds like enneagram 9 strengths to me. Sometimes e4 or e6 traits are touched on, but it tends to be in terms of flaws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    We used to have that around here though, years ago. Then the INFPs were the overemotional, sensitive, whiny bunch with no practical skills and INFjs were treasured as altruistic and saint-like.

    These days, much less so.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

  5. #25
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    We don't need no stinkin' INFJ badges - hell no!
    We don't need no stinkin' INFJ badges - hell no!

    We don't need no stinkin' INFJ badges - hell no!

    We don't need no stinkin' INFJ badges - hell no!

    We don't need no stinkin' INFJ badges - hell no!

    We don't need no stinkin' INFJ badges - hell no!

  6. #26
    darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ixfp
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    This thread shows examples of what is best known as projectile imaginings.

    I've actually debated between the two types since age 16, but in this context I never see INFJ talk shit about INFPs, but the reverse has been going on for years. I'm a charter member here from the time the site went live. I adore many INFPs here as well, but every time I've changed my type I come across a thread like this where someone or another is being a real heather, and it isn't any more humorous now than it was with the snot nosed brats in 7th grade who were absolutely snobs. That is how snobs communicate so if any of the INFPs or other types don't consider themselves to be bratty and snobbish, you need to change your communication style because you say mean shit about other people that is not warranted. Look at yourself. @OrangeAppled.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

  7. #27
    Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    This thread shows examples of what is best known as projectile imaginings.

    I've actually debated between the two types since age 16, but in this context I never see INFJ talk shit about INFPs, but the reverse has been going on for years. I'm a charter member here from the time the site went live. I adore many INFPs here as well, but every time I've changed my type I come across a thread like this where someone or another is being a real heather, and it isn't any more humorous now than it was with the snot nosed brats in 7th grade who were absolutely snobs. That is how snobs communicate so if any of the INFPs or other types don't consider themselves to be bratty and snobbish, you need to change your communication style because you say mean shit about other people that is not warranted. Look at yourself. @OrangeAppled.
    I've seen it, here & other places. It's more veiled, but the insults are there; being disingenuous doesn't mean you're nicer. This thread topic itself is demeaning to INFPs. I am 100% comfortable in dealing with it flippantly.

    All this comment does is reinforce the "INFJs have no sense of humor" observations....

    I'm making observations, valid ones, even if unpleasant to hear. Other people can handle negative observations & criticism of their type without crying "meanie-head!". Implying I am a snob & bratty is not mean either? Come now... At least I don't attack individuals. I note patterns in types on message boards, general vibes of a group, not naming names nor even having any in mind.

    If what I'm saying is not true at all, then address the argument, don't tear down the speaker. This is a common angle you take though, but Fe shaming isn't going to change my observations.

    Are the witch hunt threads not there? Is there no passive-aggressiveness in INFJ communication? Is there no arrogance is not seeing flaws & failings in yourself or not accepting any criticism as valid? If you don't want to be seen that way, then maybe change your communication style.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

  8. #28
    You have a choice! Array 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    The INFJ forums have extremely long threads which consist of witch hunts where they call out others for not being as INFJ as they are.


    @OrangeAppled -- You might want to know that INFJs are no longer perceived as nice, saintly people around here, but as 'pretentious', 'controlling', 'stubborn', 'know-it-all', 'high-strung' crazies, so we're at the receiving end of as much unwarranted flak as INFPs now. So people are kinda sensitive.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

  9. #29
    Make 2017 a good one! Array Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Nixi
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None
    Posts
    14,205

    Default

    Welcome to the rest of the plebs, INFJs, I guess. I do have to admit that I've wondered back when why INFJs were so exempt from these types of attacks as other types got regularly thrown under the bus - just as much by INFJs (though often disguised as an 'objective Ti observation' but with ample Fe judgement), I might add

    I think it goes without saying that those of the type targeted often feel unfairly treated - and rightly so, as their flaws or worse - their perceived flaws are put in the harshest light for everyone to see without any kind of balancing out and seeing the type - let alone the person behind that type as a hole. It is enough to make one either rebel and resent others for misunderstanding them or not accepting them for who they are or even doubt oneself and start the self-loathing. None of this is exactly pleasant to experience.

    It would be a lot more productive if we didn't have these kind of mudslinging contests at all between the types, but I guess that frustration that builds up has to go somewhere. I doubt that this will ever change. Otoh, it is surely not a bad thing to point out in every one of those instances that it aint exactly desirable behaviour and -while temporarily certainly productive in venting - unproductive as a state of mind.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

  10. #30
    darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ixfp
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I've seen it, here & other places. It's more veiled, but the insults are there; being disingenuous doesn't mean you're nicer. This thread topic itself is demeaning to INFPs. I am 100% comfortable in dealing with it flippantly.

    All this comment does is reinforce the "INFJs have no sense of humor" observations....

    I'm making observations, valid ones, even if unpleasant to hear. Other people can handle negative observations & criticism of their type without crying "meanie-head!". Implying I am a snob & bratty is not mean either? Come now... At least I don't attack individuals. I note patterns in types on message boards, general vibes of a group, not naming names nor even having any in mind.
    But OA, you are not behaving in line with the "group" of INFPs. If I attacked the entire category prejudiciously, then my statements would be false. My impression about your communication being snobbish and flippantly bratty apply only to you. I like you personally as a poster and find you often have good insights, but you also cross the line in your behavior. You can certainly call me mean for saying you are bratty, but my comment is in reaction to you behaving that way. Is it mean to tell someone they are being hurtful when hitting someone? You are verbally hitting people and you are being mean, so should I coddle you about it? I didn't think that is what you even want as an INFP who you find to be more "raw" and not politely passive-aggressive. I didn't want to take it passive aggressively by saying that it applies to an entire category of people. That would be completely irrational, and I find your position to be irrational as well because it is simply prejudicial and not insightful. You are often insightful, but not here. Your conclusions are way too extreme and generalized. Even if you have been surfing the net for a decade, there is no way that you know every INFJ and that the extremity of your opinions could apply to each one. Regarding the no humor comment - I'm not trying to be funny because I think being flippantly mean is far more dismissive than just shooting a straight arrow when someone is behaving below their potential of insight by being prejudicial, unkind, and unreasonable.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    If what I'm saying is not true at all, then address the argument, don't tear down the speaker. This is a common angle you take though, but Fe shaming isn't going to change my observations.
    Your arguments are so subjective and intangible, that the only style of argument available is "yes, I think they are horrible", "No they are not" "Yes they are because I've been on their site", "No they aren't because I've been on the site too and my impression is different". I gave you the position that I've been on this site as long as it existed and have not seen INFJs behave as you describe. I've never seen one slap down someone crossing the line as I just did. It's probably because I have higher Fi than most other INFJs. The best way I know to "tear down your argument" is to show Exhibit A: The INFJS on this board that are not the way you describe.

    It is frustrating that if I approach the problems with your behavior overtly it is "Fe-shaming", but if it is done indirectly it is "passive-aggression". I have addressed your argument extensively in other threads, and I'm tired of it because you have never demonstrated a single inclination to respond at all. You just keep rehashing the same assumptions over and over and over again. This tells me that the problem is with you in some personal way and is not about holding an actual intellectual position.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Are the witch hunt threads not there? Is there no passive-aggressiveness in INFJ communication? Is there no arrogance is not seeing flaws & failings in yourself or not accepting any criticism as valid? If you don't want to be seen that way, then maybe change your communication style.
    This thread was started by an INFP, although I do see that it could be interpreted as demeaning to INFPs. I think that is why the INFJ comments are pushing back against that by rejecting the notion. I have seen passive-aggressive INFJ communication, but actually have seen it far more often with INTPs and INFPs with the occasional poster being extremely overtly aggressive. The problem with passive-aggression is that if you already have a negative notion, it is possible to see it everywhere - like my comment initially in this thread about "doe eyes". I meant that as a compliment, but someone chuckled at it which could have implied passive-aggression. There certainly have not been focused discussions from INFJs attacking INFPs, and I have never seen a thread started with that being the focus. If it happens here and there between specific individuals, that is not the same thing as what happens here in the reverse. Once again it isn't all INFPs.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hello everyone! I am an ambitious ISTJ who wants to be a corporate lawyer.
    By BWCB1890 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 12:49 PM
  2. who wants to be INFP
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 05:23 AM
  3. Who wants to be cloud's friend?
    By yenom in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Who wants to be a part of my story?
    By Chimerical in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2010, 02:24 AM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •