• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Si and hoarding

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My ex-girlfriend is INFP and a hoarder (you can hardly walk around in her house). My downstairs neighbor (ENFP) hoards coffee creamer and continually asks us (her neighbors) for coffee creamer daily. I'm odd because I throw things away because I want my apartment to look like a hotel room. I haven't read of a connection between inferior or tertiary Si and hoarding. I wonder if anyone knows which function or types are most likely to hoard.:huh:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'd say it's a combination of Fi+Si.

Nicki

Retired
People with Si as their third or fourth function seem likely to hoard.

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fi and Si

I'd say it's a combination of Fi+Si.

You may be onto something Diz. My ISTJ brother in law hoards money. Hes one of the richest guys in a small town, but lives in a small house and drives an old car.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't hoard things, thank goodness, but I have a hard time throwing things away because I attach sentimental value to the silliest things.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hoard people.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Whoa! I never thought about it before, but I know two INFP hoarders and one ENFP hoarder.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't hoard so much as save stuff because you never know when you might need it

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, I admit I hoard a little. I just have difficulty throwing things away. I will keep something stupid and useless just in case I might need it some day. And it's pretty ridiculous what I think might be necessary - sometimes the apocalypse would be required to make that object useful.

I will also cop to attaching personal significance to objects. I sometimes even feel guilty about throwing certain things out because it's like I'm rejecting it. :blush: :laugh:

I do think it is tertiary or inferior Si, because the Si doms/aux in my family don't do it. My ESTJ sister has regular purges of possessions that I find to be brutal and ruthless. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Worst hoarders I know are Ni-doms, actually. :huh:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That's interesting. I wonder why that is. I think I'm messy, but I don't really like having loads of stuff. I keep some things, but I don't have a huge emotional attachment to a lot of items...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's interesting. I wonder why that is. I think I'm messy, but I don't really like having loads of stuff. I keep some things, but I don't have a huge emotional attachment to a lot of items...
I was mostly thinking of one INTJ and one INFJ specifically. (So they may not be very representative of INxJs generally.) They love collecting things and they hate getting rid of things. They're easily drained by getting rid of things, so a cycle begins where they take a day or two to get rid of only a few things, and the next time they try to get rid of things is maybe a year later, after they've bought more things then they got rid of.
My ESTJ sister has regular purges of possessions that I find to be brutal and ruthless. :D
I am so guilty of this. :laugh: Letting things pile up makes me madder and madder until the only way I can get rid of all that energy is by purging E V E R Y T H I N G .

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Worst hoarders I know are Ni-doms, actually. :huh:
Then you know some odd Ni-doms. The ones I know (myself included) seem driven, perhaps by aux Te, to prune our collections ruthlessly. IME, INTPs hoard more, because they can't bring themselves to make decisions about throwing things away. They want to remain open to the possibility that the item may be useful some day.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Then you know some odd Ni-doms. The ones I know (myself included) seem driven, perhaps by aux Te, to prune our collections ruthlessly. IME, INTPs hoard more, because they can't bring themselves to make decisions about throwing things away. They want to remain open to the possibility that the item may be useful some day.
Rings true with the INTPs I know!

I don't get it, with the INTJ I'm thinking of. Then again, I don't really understand collectors who feel the need to have ten copies of the same model of the same thing, without any desire to do anything with it except display it. :dry: Her house is like a museum, and she has at least twenty collections of various types of antiques. It's out of control. We try to help her and the process is just like the process described in my previous post.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know a hoarder who I think is INFP, though maybe ISFP. Her husband who lives there too is ESTJ.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know a hoarder who I think is INFP, though maybe ISFP. Her husband who lives there too is ESTJ.
WTF is that ESTJ doing enabling her?? He needs to grow some balls Te.

/a little hyper, sorry :doh: