User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Si and hoarding

My mom is a hoarder. I am really unsure of her type. I think she could be INFP or ISFP or ISFJ. Any of those. She is a mystery, keeps a lot inside of her though.

Anyway, she is very sentimental about EVERYTHING. She loves having the tangible reminders of what has happened, of happy memories, of people who are gone. Mostly it is sweet, she gets choked up sometimes even looking at a photo of us as children or something. But there are times it can be exasperating too. She also keeps a lot of stuff "just in case" - she can imagine a lot of uses for things most people would consider junk. She is very innovative and very thrifty. She tends to pay very little, if anything, for what she has acquired. But it becomes trouble when she saves way more of something than she needs/uses and it makes cabinets or drawers hard to open or hard to access. Another trait that is common to hoarders is difficulty in making decisions. I think it is because she sees so many options for things, and it's difficult for her to weigh which pots or pans (for example) she truly wants to keep, since there are situations where each pot is ideally suited. But the number of pots she owns way exceeds the number of pots which would be reasonably useful.

She feels a lot better getting rid of stuff if it goes to people who will use it. If she donates it to a charity or gives it to a friend or a friend of a friend in who can use it, that reassures her. She likes imagining the "new" owners using the item. I think she is also okay with recycling, if it's something truly useless or irreparable, but even that can be hard.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ My ESFJ grandma is like that as far as hanging onto objects she doesn't really need, being sentimental about stuff (she has family photos & albums everywhere, dumb trinket gifts from friends decades old on display, a garage packed with stuff she never uses, etc), and finding it hard to part with the most trivial things, but feeling better about it if sold at a yard sale or donated.

Some of it is about MONEY for her too though. She seems to remember what she paid for everything & she can't stand to part with something for free (hence the yard sales). Throwing something out is almost inconceivable to her. It's embarrassing what she gives people because she thinks it's still "usable".

My mom attributes this to her growing up poor, but I don't think that's all of it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Yes and yes. While I keep my surroundings quite spartan, I hoard pictures and links and the like.
    I N V I C T U S

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    ^ My ESFJ grandma is like that as far as hanging onto objects she doesn't really need, being sentimental about stuff (she has family photos & albums everywhere, dumb trinket gifts from friends decades old on display, a garage packed with stuff she never uses, etc), and finding it hard to part with the most trivial things, but feeling better about it if sold at a yard sale or donated.

Some of it is about MONEY for her too though. She seems to remember what she paid for everything & she can't stand to part with something for free (hence the yard sales). Throwing something out is almost inconceivable to her. It's embarrassing what she gives people because she thinks it's still "usable".

My mom attributes this to her growing up poor, but I don't think that's all of it.
    Yes my mom is the same, remembering the prices of things. She also grew up very working-class, they had to make do a lot with what they could grow, make, reuse, hunt themselves. But, like you say, that can't be the whole of it.

Does anybody else feel that they might have the potential to become hoarders themselves? I sometimes freak out when I start getting sentimental about stuff or feel like things are getting too cluttered or full. Go through and get rid of as much as I can. Possibly overkill. But I love to have functional spaces, not overflowing ones. It's starting to become more of an automatic, regular process that is part of my day-to-day habits rather than distinct dramatic episodes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ I dont fear some inner hoarder. The tendency to not want too much stuff hanging around partly comes from knowing I don't manage stuff well, that I am disorganized & messy & leave stuff out all over the place. Everything needs to be functional & used somewhat frequently/recently then or else it's just adding to mess.

I LOVE when things double as accessible storage. When you have a ton of accessible storage, it is easier to put things away because you don't have to organize & maximize space to fit it all; you can just shove it in there & it's easy to access later still. I seek to make my environment efficient in allowing me to be somewhat lazy :P

For instance, I know I will never line up my shoes neatly on shelf in a closet. So I keep big plastic bins on wheels under my bed. So when I kick my shoes off under my bed, they are put away! Then to get a pair, I just pull the bin out & rummage through it.

However, because aesthetics are important to me, including the mood of an atmosphere, I also like all visible functional things to be pretty .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Yes! Functional, easy to use, and aesthetic. That is how I like my home and my organization.

This thread strikes me as tl;dr so I won't comment on it but you're talking about FiSiTe (lots of sentimental value attachment to nostalgic items with a weak external organiser tp sort through and eliminate it. The key variable would be inferior Je and not Si.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Maybe a potential misuse of Si, as all of the functions can be misused, this is actual hoarding, rather than just being a packrat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    This thread strikes me as tl;dr so I won't comment on it but you're talking about FiSiTe (lots of sentimental value attachment to nostalgic items with a weak external organiser tp sort through and eliminate it. The key variable would be inferior Je and not Si.
    That which does not kill me, improves my looks. - Michael Jackson