User Tag List

View Poll Results: INFPs - have you ever been diagnosed as having ADD?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, nobody has ever thought this and I have not been diagnosed

11 31.43%
  • I've not been diagnosed but people have said or suspected this in the past

7 20.00%
  • Yes, I have been diagnosed as having ADD

17 48.57%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default INFPs - Have you ever been diagnosed as having ADD?

It seems like INFPs often are considered as having behaviors of a person with ADD. People suspect you have ADD even if you are never diagnosed.

Thoughts?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    yupp

I've been suspected and tested I do not have add.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

I had an INFP roommate who had "ADD." He would take Concerta and shit to help him study. Honestly I don't believe in ADD, I think it is just a personality type thing. I had that same problem but my mommy never agreed to get me any pills for it so I just had to suffer through a learning environment that I didn't relate to whatsoever. INFPs have inferior Te, which is just about the worst thing possible in the public education system and then the corporate world.

I have had people ask whether I have adhd and it is something I can imagine in myself however I have never been tested. Although I wonder (if I do have it) if it stole from me any potential I may have had I also perceive it as something I do not want to suppress it with pills for it seems to contain any quirkiness and potential I do have. I guess it ultimately depends if Pe or MBTI exists.

Also note that ADHD does not mean an inability to focus per se. ADHD people can focus perhaps far beyond any neurotypical through a phenomenon known as hyperfocus. You just have to give them something that interests them. I could see an ADHD person who sees great value or interest in school perhaps becoming a model student.

I'm (reluctantly) questioning INFP status at the moment but since Ne and Se both fit the bill of "preferring to use a perceiving process in the external world," I'll answer anyway. No, I've never been diagnosed with ADD, and people used to remark on my above-average ability to concentrate when I was growing up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Yes. But I can actually concentrate better than average sometimes.. It's just an issue of motivation mostly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

No, never been diagnosed with it nor suspected of it. I too have very good concentration. I did very well in school, although I was not a very disciplined over-achiever, but that just goes to show you can be very Pe and still function just fine.

Interesting how this also conflicts with Dario Nardi's study which shows INFPs being excellent listeners using their "whole" mind to focus on the speaker for much longer than most people do without any break in concentration.

I wonder why the opposite is not considered - perhaps those with ADD tend to test as Pe types even if not?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

No ADD. When I was younger, I was able to 'hyperfocus' on things, which was very helpful in college and whilst practicing.
    So: no.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I have had people ask whether I have adhd and it is something I can imagine in myself however I have never been tested. Although I wonder (if I do have it) if it stole from me any potential I may have had I also perceive it as something I do not want to suppress it with pills for it seems to contain any quirkiness and potential I do have. I guess it ultimately depends if Pe or MBTI exists.

Also note that ADHD does not mean an inability to focus per se. ADHD people can focus perhaps far beyond any neurotypical through a phenomenon known as hyperfocus. You just have to give them something that interests them. I could see an ADHD person who sees great value or interest in school perhaps becoming a model student.
    Please note the question in this thread is about ADD (ADHD without the hyperactivity/impulsiveness part).

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    INFPs have inferior Te, which is just about the worst thing possible in the public education system and then the corporate world.
    I think maybe you are right about that.

This thread was inspired by the Vicky Jo thread. Also, I have a close relative who is an INFP who was suspected, then diagnosed as not having it and just bored, then continued to have related problems, then was diagnosed with it and on medication for it. It seems to me like INFP personality type can exhibit some of the same characteristics of a person who has ADD. I don't know if ADD is way overdiagnosed or what.

Here is the definition.

http://add.about.com/od/adhdthebasics/a/ADDvsADHD.htm

Tri-type 639