User Tag List

View Poll Results: INFPs - have you ever been diagnosed as having ADD?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, nobody has ever thought this and I have not been diagnosed

11 31.43%
  • I've not been diagnosed but people have said or suspected this in the past

7 20.00%
  • Yes, I have been diagnosed as having ADD

17 48.57%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Dr. Amen's 6 Types of ADD

Type 1. Classic ADD (ADHD) -- inattentive, distractible, disorganized, hyperactive, restless, and impulsive.

Type 2. Inattentive ADD -- inattentive and easily distracted, but not hyperactive; sluggish, slow moving, low motivation, and often described as space cadets, daydreamers, couch potatoes.

Type 3. Overfocused ADD - inattentive, trouble shifting attention, frequently get stuck in loops of negative thoughts or behaviors, obsessive, excessive worrying, inflexible, frequent oppositional and argumentative behavior. May or may not be hyperactive.

Type 4. Temporal Lobe ADD - inattentive, irritable, quick temper, aggressive, dark thoughts, mood instability, and severe impulsivity. May or may not be hyperactive.

Type 5. Limbic ADD - inattentive, chronic low grade depression, negativity, "glass half empty syndrome," low energy, and frequent feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness. May or may not be hyperactive.

Type 6. Ring of Fire ADD - inattentive, extreme distractibility, angry, irritable, overly sensitive to noise, light, clothes and touch; often inflexible, cyclic moodiness, hyperverbal, and opposition. May or may not be hyperactive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Here's a study that seems to correlate ADHD with N and P. It's unclear to me what that means, really... since it could mean NPs tend toward ADHD or that some of the behaviors of ADHD overlap with NP correlated behaviors.

Personally, the only time anyone ever floated the idea I might have ADHD was because I was too focused at times (hyper focused). Still, seems to me it was usually in a healthy range, and often actively useful for school and tasks like programming.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Not that I know of, but who knows what people associate me with behind my back.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I heard ESTJs like procrastinating and slacking off because their attention is diverted towards the fantastic and the impossible!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I had an INFP roommate who had "ADD." He would take Concerta and shit to help him study. Honestly I don't believe in ADD, I think it is just a personality type thing. I had that same problem but my mommy never agreed to get me any pills for it so I just had to suffer through a learning environment that I didn't relate to whatsoever. INFPs have inferior Te, which is just about the worst thing possible in the public education system and then the corporate world.
    I did excellent in public school. The academic part of school was a breeze & I was always a top student. I used to win spelling bees & math competitions & all kinds of nerdy stuff. I possessed a combination of being arrogant & principled about doing work well, and I think this IS inferior Te. I couldn't stand to be seen as incompetent or unintelligent, which is precisely why such stereotypes about INFPs irritate me. I liked to project an image of doing well without trying hard & doing it MY own way, which is kind of what was going on anyway. I also felt an intense need to be PERFECT.

I was not a teacher's pet, sometimes even arguing with them openly, but many of them liked me & considered me one of their best students. They would overlook my excessive absences because of that. I also would interpret assignments creatively & it was not only allowed but admired.

The rude awakening is that life is not school. The book smarts required there don't translate very well to most jobs. Jobs are often repetitive in nature because of a single role, whereas school is a variety of subjects that progress in difficulty. In school, you are rewarded by quality of work; in jobs, you are rewarded by how much money your skill brings to a company & how well you schmooze.

The social part of school was another story... I struggled with relating to peers & forming friendships a lot. That's why I was absent so much, as well as a way of testing boundaries & an arrogance over "not needing" to be there everyday because I felt learned faster than my peers.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post

Type 1. Classic ADD (ADHD) -- inattentive, distractible, disorganized, hyperactive, restless, and impulsive.

Type 2. Inattentive ADD -- inattentive and easily distracted, but not hyperactive; sluggish, slow moving, low motivation, and often described as space cadets, daydreamers, couch potatoes.

Type 3. Overfocused ADD - inattentive, trouble shifting attention, frequently get stuck in loops of negative thoughts or behaviors, obsessive, excessive worrying, inflexible, frequent oppositional and argumentative behavior. May or may not be hyperactive.

Type 4. Temporal Lobe ADD - inattentive, irritable, quick temper, aggressive, dark thoughts, mood instability, and severe impulsivity. May or may not be hyperactive.

Type 5. Limbic ADD - inattentive, chronic low grade depression, negativity, "glass half empty syndrome," low energy, and frequent feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness. May or may not be hyperactive.

Type 6. Ring of Fire ADD - inattentive, extreme distractibility, angry, irritable, overly sensitive to noise, light, clothes and touch; often inflexible, cyclic moodiness, hyperverbal, and opposition. May or may not be hyperactive.
    A lot of these just sound like depression or maybe mild personality disorders. Depression does affect attention span & focus. A personality disorder will cause erratic behavior also.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post

That pretty much sums up the population of internet folk.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I heard ESTJs like procrastinating and slacking off because their attention is diverted towards the fantastic and the impossible!
    You do grasp the difference between ability and INTEREST or MOTIVATION, don't you?

If this is a matter of self-discipline, then I can't see why ADD is even brought into the picture...

Not all "work" is about dry, repetitive tasks anyway. Plus, any Ne type should be able to put a creative spin on something, and an INFP can do that if they see the value of it. If I want to make a dull task less boring, then I can just create a story around it.

I procrastinate & slack off because I CAN. Then I pull high quality stuff out of my butt at the last minute like many an NP.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    You do grasp the difference between ability and INTEREST or MOTIVATION, don't you?

If this is a matter of self-discipline, then I can't see why ADD is even brought into the picture...

Not all "work" is about dry, repetitive tasks anyway. Plus, any Ne type should be able to put a creative spin on something, and an INFP can do that if they see the value of it. If I want to make a dull task less boring, then I can just create a story around it.

I procrastinate & slack off because I CAN. Then I pull high quality stuff out of my butt at the last minute like many an NP.
    Maximized systems that explain all the dynamics by which our world works will always trump poory developed rush constructions.

It's kind of like how the scientists go with rigorous reasoning, and the religious prophets just do whatever God tells them. The former of course is what works, and the latter is just rushing with the authority without question or deviation.

If you want to walk the way of greatness, get to work and actually build something up, rather than simply throwing whimsical rubbish into the junk synthesizer.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    That pretty much sums up the population of internet folk.
    just the internet folk
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    just the internet folk
    Yeah. Just those internet peeples. (nah jk )
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)