• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] How can an INFJ get out of an emotional/spritual rut?

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Long story short I just don't feel like myself. I am one semester away from getting my degree. For the last four months all I have done is intern, work and go to class. I had basically no time to or for myself . Now that it's summer break and i'm getting a chance to breath I just feel so emotionally/spiritually blocked.I know I need to be looking for a summer internship. I need to pay more attention to my boyfriend. I know I need to be doing all these things but I feel so depleted.I feel like somewhere along the way I lost myself. I feels like everything that I was working so hard for is pointless and shallow. I thought I just burnt myself out and needed a few weeks of doing nothing. So i took some time. But I've been on break for two weeks now and I still don't feel like myself.I'm not sure how recover.

Yes, I spelled spiritual wrong in the title.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Go over and have a look at the orgasm thread

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Maybe you need more than two weeks. Sometimes what we want to need and what we need are two different things. In that situation, I think it's good to try to take extra good care of your body. Rest, sunshine, food, light exercise, little indulgences you haven't had time for. I wouldn't worry for at least another week, but I'm a slow recharger and I've never found a way to make the process speed up.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Don't know about that (the orgasm thread), but it does sound like being reminded of the easier/less serious side of life wouldn't hurt. May not help (I don't know you, OP), but won't hurt. Sometimes one has to step away from themselves a bit in order to find themselves again.

A light-hearted comedy marathon (GOOD one) in order to remember how to really belly laugh. I'm convinced laughter is a form of survival tool. We have that in us for a reason.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Cafe's right. A few days spent lounging in the sun with a good book helps as well. Try both. :)

S

Society

A light-hearted comedy marathon (GOOD one) in order to remember how to really belly laugh. I'm convinced laughter is a form of survival tool. We have that in us for a reason.

^that

comedy in the background are the life force that keeps me sane.

ofcourse, it can be anything... really you just need to wake yourself up. it can also be horror movies, or doing something actually horrific and scary (like investing in the 2013 stock market).

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
^that

comedy in the background are the life force that keeps me sane.

ofcourse, it can be anything... really you just need to wake yourself up. it can also be horror movies, or doing something actually horrific and scary (like investing in the 2013 stock market).

Indeed. Oh! Try watching The Woman in Black if you haven't seen it [MENTION=17164]iNtrovert[/MENTION]. It scared the crap out of me AND made me cry.

That would probably need a comedy after it. Or three. Did for me, and I'm a huge horror fan. Classic sci-fi and horror would give you both horror and comedy at the same time. ;)

S

Society

also, you might consider a signature change:

"Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

i don't just mean that the internet clothing makes the person, but rather.. well what behind it: that its a horrible horrible way to discern incoming information - you have your picking of what doesn't insult your soul on one side of your eyeballs, and the universe doing it's own business of not giving a fuck on the other side of your eyeballs, and the resulting demands from your eyelids is probably not going to have the best of consequences regarding your sense of awakeness.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's quite the opposite for me. I can't do comedy. Taking it easy never works for me. I need a good tear-jerking tragedy that makes me feel. When I feel dead, it's usually because I feel disconnected from the rest of the world, so I need something that evokes strong emotions. It can be a book, a movie, a conversation, something on the news -- anything that reminds me that the world still lives and breathes.

S

Society

a conversation? why not? go on typoC ventrilo, and join their currently growing NF takeover (damn TPs keep getting banned :dry:).

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
a conversation? why not? go on typoC ventrilo, and join their currently growing NF takeover (damn TPs keep getting banned :dry:).
Ooohh, NFs are taking over vent? Maybe it's time I got an account :alttongue:

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Maybe you need more than two weeks. Sometimes what we want to need and what we need are two different things. In that situation, I think it's good to try to take extra good care of your body. Rest, sunshine, food, light exercise, little indulgences you haven't had time for. I wouldn't worry for at least another week, but I'm a slow recharger and I've never found a way to make the process speed up.

I agree with this. I remember when I was in school, everyone would be so excited for summer fun... and I never really wanted to see anyone until around August-- took me a good month and a half to recharge my I-time meter. Just give yourself some more time.

That said, of course you do need do do some things like look for your internship and pay attention to your boyfriend. I would start by talking to your bf and letting him know how you're feeling, so he doesn't think you're just withdrawing from him or anything, and ask him if you two could plan some introvert-friendly time together-- a quiet night in watching movies, a walk in the park, time together lying on a blanket outside and reading-- whatever feels right to you. Something that you can do "together" but that will also be recharging for you.

For the internship, you could challenge yourself to spend one hour a day working on that-- or even one hour three times a week, or something. Set a goal that feels reasonable in your current state, and once you meet that time goal, allow yourself to stop thinking about it for the day/week/whatever.

Good luck!

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=6037]Winds of Thor[/MENTION] Speechless….not in a how dare you kind of way but more of a I’m to embarrassed to respond lol
[MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] I’m glad you said this. I was worried I was taking to long to get back to myself. Knowing that sometimes you just take longer to recharge put me at ease a little thanks =).
[MENTION=74]digesthisickness[/MENTION] Indulging in the lighter side of life, I might just do that. Comedy marathon with the bf sounds kind of fun.
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] Comedy Yes Horror No. LOL I’m such a baby when I watch scary movies. Watching some of them re actually really traumatic for me. I can only handle zombie movies. Regarding my signature, I don’t think I want to change it. I interpret it differently than you described. I always have had a problem with going along with people tell me. I’m also quite gullible at times with people I trust. So that quote reminds me that it’s ok to go against the grain. It’s ok to say No and I don’t have to please everyone. I can follow my heart, stay true to my soul and dismiss what doesn’t feel right to me even though everyone else may not feel that way. In other words re- evaluate everything that come in and make up your own mind about it. I guess I’m comfortable with my heart and soul being my decision engine but I’m an NF. You are an NT so I guess you wouldn’t value heart and soul as a decision engine over you head. That’s probably why it doesn’t seem to encourage as sense of awareness to you. For me it’s the only way I’d feel alive. Humm ….interesting. I really enjoyed looking at you interpretation. I know I’m drifting off topic here but since I don’t really know you I’m kind of just speculating. Care to shed any more light on you underlying reason for your interpretation?
I’ve heard of Ventrilo not sure what it’s all about though…
[MENTION=6971]21%[/MENTION] I love tear jerkers. I actually relate to a lot of what you’re saying. Sad music tends to make me feel better than love songs. The more tragic drama the better. I also love a rainy/ cloudy day. I seem to feel the most connected and the most inspired. I think I’ll have myself a tea jerking cry fest today. It’s cloudy here in NY. =)
[MENTION=10315]Aquarelle[/MENTION] I actually had a similar plan in mind. I committed myself to finishing 3 apps this week. One every other day. The bf is an NT. He works full time and we both have been distant lately. It’s not out of character for him but it’s completely off for me. I honestly don’t think he’s noticed though. He can be a little slow on the emotional uptake. I Skype him every day. I just haven’t gotten around to seeing him since I’ve been back. He’d be more than happy to see a movie but I’m in NYC going out anywhere involves mass amounts of people and public transportation. Guess I’ll just suck it up and see something with him this weekend. Besides I can use it as a barging chip to get some much needed cuddle time. Not sure that will work though. He always tells me how cuddling is pointless unless he’s trying to fall asleep.

S

Society

I’ve heard of Ventrilo not sure what it’s all about though…
this sums it up:

^this

You are an NT so I guess you wouldn’t value heart and soul as a decision engine over you head.

i do - under the format referenced in my sig. i guess i just found it funny because our signatures collide ;)

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
this sums it up:

^this

i do - under the format referenced in my sig. i guess i just found it funny because our signatures collide ;)

Psh Cheers...I loved that show as a kid. I used to watch it every night in the summer on nick at night. I knew this song by heart lol

I have to ask why you call yourself the INFJ slayer though.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do a spa day. Get a massage. A four-hand massage with hot stones, if you have the money. Then read the book in the sun, by the water. Then do the movies.