User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENFx

Honestly....(It's me Magnetic Soul BTW!! ......If you ever decide to listen to the audio book "Change Your Brain Change Your Life" by Daniel Amen, MD, as I did recently, you will probably agree with me that Jane most likely has a biological/neurological issue. It sounds like she has some cognitive inflexibility among other things. She would really benefit from a SPECT study!!! A SPECT study (by Dr. Amen) is kinda sorta like an MRI except it can actually see activity levels of different parts of the brain and its fluctuations in activity over a 10-15 min period of time. It can tell whether say the singulate girus is overactive (aka the cause of OCD, addiction, gambling, cognitive inflexibility, among other things) or the basil ganglia, or lymbic system, or temporal lobes, etc, etc. Dr. Amen performs the SPECT study both during non-concetration and during concentration (Interesting: Those who have ADD; their brain activity actually goes down during period of concentration. In other words they concentrate better when they're not trying to concentrate lol). Anyway.....I wish Jane (and myself) (AND everyone) could get a SPECT study, cuz then they could actually be prescribed proper combination of meds to cure their biological (aka cant help it) nature!!!! The audiobook is 12 hours long, but you could always skip to themore relevant parts i guess.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by magnetic soul View Post
    (Interesting: Those who have ADD; their brain activity actually goes down during period of concentration. In other words they concentrate better when they're not trying to concentrate lol)
    Um, not exactly... Concentration/focusing is literally just that: you block outside influences. For people with quiet minds, focusing can increase it with that task. For people with loud minds, to focus, you have to stop all the extraneous stuff and cut down to only that particular task. Now, this is not to say that they're just as good at focusing as everybody else... Just that your statement isn't quite right

Quote Originally Posted by magnetic soul View Post
    Honestly....(It's me Magnetic Soul BTW!! ......If you ever decide to listen to the audio book "Change Your Brain Change Your Life" by Daniel Amen, MD, as I did recently, you will probably agree with me that Jane most likely has a biological/neurological issue. It sounds like she has some cognitive inflexibility among other things. She would really benefit from a SPECT study!!! A SPECT study (by Dr. Amen) is kinda sorta like an MRI except it can actually see activity levels of different parts of the brain and its fluctuations in activity over a 10-15 min period of time. It can tell whether say the singulate girus is overactive (aka the cause of OCD, addiction, gambling, cognitive inflexibility, among other things) or the basil ganglia, or lymbic system, or temporal lobes, etc, etc. Dr. Amen performs the SPECT study both during non-concetration and during concentration (Interesting: Those who have ADD; their brain activity actually goes down during period of concentration. In other words they concentrate better when they're not trying to concentrate lol). Anyway.....I wish Jane (and myself) (AND everyone) could get a SPECT study, cuz then they could actually be prescribed proper combination of meds to cure their biological (aka cant help it) nature!!!! The audiobook is 12 hours long, but you could always skip to themore relevant parts i guess.
    ... And to the rest of it... Ummm....
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

MBTI
    ENFx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    oh so INFPs have to be crap at math? and can't enjoy it. I enjoy algebra.
    Prplchknz... you're overeacting a little. He didnt say INFp's have to be crap at math or cant enjoy it. I myself am either ENFP or ENFJ and I sometimes enjoyed math in school. He was just saying it's less common for INFPs (or any Idealists) for that matter to be into math. It doesn't mean they cant be into math or even excel at it, but it just means it's not as common to see Idealists in the field of math. It's more common for "NT"s and "SJ"s to go into math, IMO. ...By "seem strange" I'm pretty sure he just meant it seems "unusual" which Im sure most people who understand the MBTI can probably agree. ...And like I said, of course there are "NF"s out there who are good mathematicians or math teachers; it's just less common though!

P.S. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it will benefit you to assume the worst in someone. If he says he wasn't trying to say that "Idealists are crap at math" then why not just believe him instead of assuming some ill-intent. Most people have good intentions.

MBTI
    ENFx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    not at all. I'm just saying that you shouldn't stereotype. types don't come from what one has a passion for but rather how they process that passion. this probably doesn't make sense. but it should, so we're going with it makes sense.
    I can kinda understand what you're saying here though, prplchknz, and I kinda agree with you. Still, I dont think he was meaning to stereotype. Maybe it is easier for me to judge this since I know him in real life. ....Relying on text alone just sucks for communication sometimes.

MBTI
    ENFx

Quote Originally Posted by alakazam View Post
    This is off topic, but I'm going to reply once more.

I'm not saying that NFs can't have a passion in mathematics. I'm saying that, in my experience, in general, the way you pick your passions often leads you to something other than mathematics in the exact same way that what I look for in my passions leads me away from things like singing and painting. That is NOT to say that I can't, for some reason, do it, enjoy it, be good at it, and teach it - just that it's far less likely you'll find somebody like me doing that than it is to find somebody like me working on computers/electronics.

If you want to avoid stereotyping, then MBTI is not for you. That's what this tool does. We, however, realize that it is a broad categorization and that people are different but, for some strange reason, tend to be fairly accurately described holistically in MBTI. What I was doing was the exact same thing.
    Well said!

MBTI
    ENFx

Quote Originally Posted by alakazam View Post
    Um, not exactly... Concentration/focusing is literally just that: you block outside influences. For people with quiet minds, focusing can increase it with that task. For people with loud minds, to focus, you have to stop all the extraneous stuff and cut down to only that particular task. Now, this is not to say that they're just as good at focusing as everybody else... Just that your statement isn't quite right

... And to the rest of it... Ummm....
    I disagree with you on the concentration/focusing thing. Maybe I'm not explaining right, but I am going based off the science that was explained in the audio book by Dr. Amen himself. When the ADD person had to concentrate or focus on a given task, their brain activity decreased! Literally the harder they 'tried' to concentrate, the more easily distracted they were and less able to focus on the task. If this is incorrect, then Dr. Amen is incorrect. But I'm just going off of what Daniel Amen, MD said in his audio book based off his own research at the Amen Clinic.