User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Default Why are IJs Pi-dom and IPs Ji-dom?

Sorry is this is a really elementary question, but I've never come across any explanation. Why would an introverted judger lead with a perceiving function (and vice versa), while an extraverted judger would lead with a judging function?
    Last edited by decrescendo; 05-16-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: .

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Because for some reason it was decided that the last letter at the end of each type would be for what function that type extraverts in, so INFP's for example would extravert Ne as that is the function they most outwardly use extraverted types of course use their dominant.

I might have to check Gifts Differing again, but I can't remember a decent reason off the top of my head for why it was structured that way.

Essentially, though, it appears to be something to do with the nature of extraversion and introversion. So introverts don't openly show their dominant, instead their secondary comes to light, whereas with extraverts their dominant is extraverted already, but people don't always notice their capacity for introspection because of this.

And since extraversion has more focus on the external, it follows, (on the creator's terms of course), that IP's are perceivers, because that is how they relate to the outside world and it's structure and the same goes for IJ's as judgers.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

It's probably best if you imagine the types as INFPe and INFJe. All the P and the J mean is that the extroverted perceiving or the extroverted judging function is preferred. It does not mean that a P individual will prefer a perceiving function most of all or a J would prefer a judging function most of all.

Infinite Bubble

Just to go off from what the others said: the dichotomy is shorthand for which type of function (J/P) they use to engage the world. Judgers engage the world with their J function (which gives them stereotypes such as being ordered, on time for events etc), and Percievers with their P function. So while, say, an ISTJ is technically a P-dom because of Si, it is introverted; thus they extrovert their J function (Te) so it's called ISTJ. In Socionics there isn't this problem - the final letter dictates whether their actual dominant function is I or E, rather than showing which is orientated to the outer world, which is a lot less of an irritating system, in my opinion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Makes sense. Thanks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I suspect that it began at least in part because J/P is so much easier to observe externally than Pi/Ji... lol...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I used to be confused too but I guess it makes sense. In a way IXXJs share certain 'judgy' qualities with extroverted judgers, so it would be even more confusing to have it the other way round.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

J types have their first J function in extraverted attitude.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Would definitely take away from the validity of 4-letter tests & would also explain why IxxJs, when well developed, begin to look like IxxPs (and vice versa). I understand why the system was set up this way, but I still prefer what Socionics does.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    Sorry is this is a really elementary question, but I've never come across any explanation. Why would an introverted judger lead with a perceiving function (and vice versa), while an extraverted judger would lead with a judging function?
    Because looking at the actual functions makes the system too complicated for people who only have a passing interest in typology or only need it in so far as it can help them to interact with people of a known type. Functions really only come into play when you're trying to determine what type another person is. If you know what they are, it doesn't matter one bit. You just need to know what characteristics that type generally has.

Even though IJs may be perception dominant and IPs judging dominant, you don't see the introverted functions as much, so it's easier and simpler to just refer to them by what they extravert.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window