User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Thread: INFP vs INFJ

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

INFPs get accused some some weird shit also. I'll spend a little time to come up with one for them as well. Other types get a lot of reductive, worn stereotypes, but the INFJ and INFP stereotypes are some of the more creative, so I will give it that, although people's opinions are weird, weird, weird, and wrong most of the time.

INF group hug for having to deal with more existential isolation than some...
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Place-holders and approximations. It is fluid. Archetypes can work as long as they are theoretical points towards which information can gather, much like moths to a light, but never fully approach. There is a continual dance between reality fitting theory, and theory adapting to fit reality.
    all true, except in this case the moth adds to the light (metaphor breaking down, unless it's an oil lamp).

my point was that there's an exchange - when you learn more about the type from more people who approximate that type, you end up having more information regarding that type - in some aspects that increases the range, in other aspects it shows you consistency - giving you a better idea of what the type is good for and what it isn't. in both cases, the result is learning more about the type, and adds to the internal constructs represented by that type.

this btw goes beyond formal typology - i've done aggressive sales for (way too many) years, and when you need to build 30-50 rapports a day with people you don't know, you build mental schemes of people to build from as you go along, each case helps you for the next. the best salesman where quite often the best "typist", so to speak, we even gave a few of the most useful examples nicknames like "bun", "flower", "shaker", "saint", etc (this was mostly shopping habits specific).

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Oh incidentally @DJ Arendee

THIS is the most fucking miserable description of Si I think ive read to date:
    Introverted Sensation (Si) tunes you in to the chaos, unpredictability, and unknowability of the concrete world, leading you to value whatever few signs you can find that have stable meaning. For example, the stripes of tabby cats might hold a particular meaning for you, and you might come to treasure that. As an epistemological perspective, Si leads you to view anything from outside a familiar context as dangerous and untrustworthy. You are in tune with the fact that nearly all possibilities lead to destruction. For example, if you're designing an airplane, nearly all combinations of the variables fail. Of the possible combinations of wingspan, wing placement, wing shape, fuselage shape, and so on, there is only a tiny subset that make an aerodynamically workable plane--and then only if you get a whole lot of other things just right, too. All of life is like that, only much more complicated. We live only in the small islands of the world that we've grown up with and are suited to us. And we can't possibly know why these small islands are relatively safe. As an ethical perspective, Si leads you to protect the integrity of the things and signs that we depend on. This usually takes the form of setting up barriers against the unpredictable. For example, saving for a rainy day (hardships come at unpredictable times) or inspecting buildings for fire safety (so people can trust that "being inside a building" is a sign of safety against the elements). Within these barriers, where all is trustworthy and familiar, we can survive and enjoy what is precious to us--for a while.
    It's almost sad that it came from Lenore Thompson, who's descriptions are usually very good.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...MBTI-Functions

But this makes Si sound like the most useless, pointless, function ever conceived. I'm not saying cognitive functions can be tied into human evolution, but if they could; what would be the point of Si? It really appears to serve no purpose whatsoever according to that description.

The few benefits outlined in that description, for example conserving for unforseen events, are overshadowed by the fact that there are plenty of functions that could already do that job. Like Te or even Ni.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Society

I've been on various MBTI forums for over a decade now, and pretty much everyone has an evil INFJ ex.
    rofl, i've known more who either:
    1. never met an INFJ that they know of
    2. never being close to an INFJ.
    3. feel they can't get close to INFJs.

but of the people who do have an INFJ ex - i'll take the bait

Let me try to summarize everything I've learned over the years: The INFJ is a narcissist who loves cats, never leaves the house, is a psychological amoeba with elephant skin, their feelings are a shadow of the real and are capable of levels of hatred only Hiltler could exemplify, they are unicorns and prudes, aggressive sluts and gymnasts who wear too much black eyeliner and are psychic, they are more abstract than any other, but they love motorcycles and rainy days, they have no regrets, doorslam all but a few, and most of all they are your X.
    relevant elements highlighted.

not sure what a psychological amoeba with an elephant skin is supposed to be a metaphor of...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

lol aa,

I wonder if she's trying to combine enneagram and mbti into one without knowing that that's what she's doing.

I sorta identified with Se but then it started to lose me after that. By her definitions I think I'd fit ENTJ better.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    rofl, i've known more who either:
    1. never met an INFJ that they know of
    2. never being close to an INFJ.
    3. feel they can't get close to INFJs.

but of the people who do have an INFJ ex - i'll take the bait

relevant elements highlighted.

not sure what a psychological amoeba with an elephant skin is supposed to be a metaphor of...
    Online there are a number of legendary tales. Three in thread claim INFJ exes.

Here's a question: assuming these negative traits are fundamental to INFJs, then what types are the exes for the INFJs on this forum? What types do they hate based on personal experience? Which types have they door slammed? If any reader of this post doesn't know, why do you think that is the case? There are many possible reasons, but it is a question worth asking -to reverse the scenario.
    (from Blue Velvet)

Society

Online there are a number of legendary tales. Three in thread claim INFJ exes.
    i don't disagree with that - my post-mortem experience was that most people i talked too who had relationships with INFJs had remarkably similar stories showcasing the same patterns.

but between that and saying everyone has an evil INFJ ex? that's like looking at the line for a leonard cohen concert tickets and saying everyone loves leonard cohen - were in fact fans are actually a very small niche - but ofcourse if you are counting them from the people in the concert line it is going to look like everybody is a leonard cohen fan, because everyone who isn't won't be in that line.

Which types have they door slammed?
    in the INFJ doorslam threads many have openly said that they have & justified it prior to the negative input from the doorslammed, at which point it was framed negatively and the semantics of it were twirled around and redefined by quite a few with the purpose of excluding their own specific cases. it's a funny little dance. if your asking for consistency in what MBTI type have being doorslammed, there doesn't seem to be one from what i recall - i remember the mentioning of NPs, SJs, SPs and other INFJs. why would you expect a consistency in what types get doorslammed?

If any reader of this post doesn't know, why do you think that is the case? There are many possible reasons, but it is a question worth asking -to reverse the scenario.
    are you trying to ask why none of the INFJs on the forum identify with the descriptions others have for the INFJ ex's they've known? i can guarantee you that if my own ex was given the description of herself, she wouldn't identify with her own descriptions either. FYI - my sig comes into play here.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

i don't disagree with that - my post-mortem experience was that most people i talked too who had relationships with INFJs had remarkably similar stories showcasing the same patterns.

but between that and saying everyone has an evil INFJ ex? that's like looking at the line for a leonard cohen concert tickets and saying everyone loves leonard cohen - were in fact fans are actually a very small niche - but ofcourse if you are counting them from the people in the concert line it is going to look like everybody is a leonard cohen fan, because everyone who isn't won't be in that line.

in the INFJ doorslam threads many have openly said that they have & justified it prior to the negative input from the doorslammed, at which point it was framed negatively and the semantics of it were twirled around and redefined by quite a few with the purpose of excluding their own specific cases. it's a funny little dance. if your asking for consistency in what MBTI type have being doorslammed, there doesn't seem to be one from what i recall - i remember the mentioning of NPs, SJs, SPs and other INFJs. why would you expect a consistency in what types get doorslammed?

are you trying to ask why none of the INFJs on the forum identify with the descriptions others have for the INFJ ex's they've known? i can guarantee you that if my own ex was given the description of herself, she wouldn't identify with her own descriptions either. FYI - my sig comes into play here.
    I suppose I have confirmation bias based on the ones I call friend.

I have an ex, i ended up in a rather severe clinical depression, consider I was the one rejected, think he and his girlfriend are two of the coolest people on the planet, and I'm actually quite close to her. This doesn't imply the process didn't hurt me within an edge of my sanity, but I think Fe and Ti can provide a kind of emotional objectivity that allows for the ability to see beyond personal pain to the deeper cause and effects. There is a contrasting data point, and if anyone wants verification from either of them on my fairness and sanity, I'm sure they would concure with what I have said here as they are both members, although they almost never post here at this point.

Edit: I should add that it was a 15 year relationship, so not some little fling that flopped. Objectively there are very few human beings who would have been as level headed about is as I was in the face of severe depression no less. No door slamming, no hate, not even yelling, nothing unfair, not even requests for money. That should help to accurately position the data point. I am more than happy to request verification right here from either of them.
    (from Blue Velvet)

Society

I suppose I have confirmation bias based on the ones I call friend. I have an ex, i ended up in a rather severe clinical depression, consider I was the one rejected, think he and his girlfriend are two of the coolest people on the planet, and I'm actually quite close to her. This doesn't imply the process didn't hurt me within an edge of my sanity, but I think Fe and Ti can provide a kind of emotional objectivity that allows for the ability to see beyond personal pain to the deeper cause and effects. There is a contrasting data point, and if anyone wants verification from either of them on my fairness and sanity, I'm sure they would concure with what I have said here as they are both members, although they almost never post here at this point.
    [insert cool story bro meme], but where is the contrast?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

[insert cool story bro meme], but where is the contrast?
    That is a description of evil, hate, and door slamming to you?

Edit: or are you assuming the description has zero credibility because it comes from an infj? I can think of quite a few different ways to interpret that, but the majority are hurtful. Whether I misunderstand or you are hurtful... Why?
    (from Blue Velvet)