User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 203

Thread: INFP vs INFJ

  1. #41
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    didn't we agree that all the MBTI "profiles" are actually mental illnesses yet to be diagnosed, and it's really only the untypable like yourself who are the sane ones?
    I'll agree with that.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  2. #42
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I think the guy is serious. He got seriously dumped by an ISFP girl, was butthurt and has now declared war on IFs. I guess he hasn't realised yet that trying to get under an INFPs skin is like a game of battleships. You don't know where you're aiming for as it's different each time and even if you do hit the right spot that no way means you have sunk them. As for INFJs just mock him for when he re-typed himself as an NF a few weeks ago.



    I just realized that's the guy who has a thing for INFJs & e4s & made videos about INFPs & INFJs (which were somewhat contemptuous towards INFPs), and most of his ideas ring of socionics... which makes sense why he sees INFJs (NiFe or INFp in socionics) as more flamboyant & INFPs (FiNe or INFj in socionics) as sort of bland & sentimental do-gooders.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  3. #43
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Alright I have some real differences instead of making jokes that make people scratch their heads.

    INFJ's appreciate the thrill of the hunt
    INFP's don't find reward in the thrill of the hunt.

    INFJ's don't believe emotions of others until stated verbally (Fe)
    INFP's assume the emotions of others (Fi)

    INFJ's are capable of, but not as confident in their ability to use volitional force (Se) to get what they want.
    INFP's disavow any and all forms of volitional force as a way of accomplishing what they want in life.

    I find it interesting that you guys spend so much time memorizing my life story and reputation as a means of determining if I should be heeded or not. Nevermind the content of anything I have to say.

    Hmm, yeah you guys got me. Here comes the "socionics is different from mbti argument." This is where I bow out. If you disagree there's no sense in me trying to change your mind. I'll just leave off with the statement that the functions across the two systems are exactly the same, however mbti words the functions through their manifestations, and socionics defines the functions through their processes. The books on mbti functions are much clearer about how they should be defined than anything on the internet.

  4. #44
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    INFJ's appreciate the thrill of the hunt
    INFP's don't find reward in the thrill of the hunt.
    i can tell you of a few INFP (males) who got into being players at a later age and are now very much into the thrill of the hunt.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    INFJ's don't believe emotions of others until stated verbally (Fe)
    nah, that all too often does little to convince them.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    INFP's disavow any and all forms of volitional force as a way of accomplishing what they want in life.
    again, i've known more exceptions than those who follow the rule. a few very religious INFPs i've known were very enthusiastic of going into battlefield units - two of them even specifically striving to change into battlefield units.

  5. #45
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    @Mane

    See here's my deal. There are some INFJ 4's who I bump into who are motorcycle riding gymnasts who read "great expectations" one too many times. Then there are INFJ 4's I meet who listen to sigur ros and hate motorcycles and hate leaving their houses and pretty much hate everything stated prior and are more interested in drawing pictures and talking to their cat about the sound of the rain against the glass.

    One I have absolute love and adoration for, the other makes me cringe.

    There is a completely different change in flavor. A great inconsistency. So I move over to INFP's. Its the same exact thing. The only system I've found that's had any competence in separating the differences for me is socionics.

    However Extroverts almost never have an issue with swapping the J/P

    I think there's even a website dedicated to solving the differences. If we're going by Kiersey, sure. J/P difference is easy to see. But a lot of people don't actually know what the functional definitions are online.

    The only functional definitions I've ever read that have a shred of consistency or logical sense derived from their name is here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...MBTI-Functions

  6. #46
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=15291" target="_blank">Mane</a>

    See here's my deal. There are some INFJ 4's who I bump into who are motorcycle riding gymnasts who read "great expectations" one too many times. Then there are INFJ 4's I meet who listen to sigur ros and hate motorcycles and hate leaving their houses and pretty much hate everything stated prior and are more interested in drawing pictures and talking to their cat about the sound of the rain against the glass.

    One I have absolute love and adoration for, the other makes me cringe.

    There is a completely different change in flavor. A great inconsistency. So I move over to INFP's. Its the same exact thing. The only system I've found that's had any competence in separating the differences for me is socionics.

    However Extroverts almost never have an issue with swapping the J/P

    I think there's even a website dedicated to solving the differences. If we're going by Kiersey, sure. J/P difference is easy to see. But a lot of people don't actually know what the functional definitions are online.

    The only functional definitions I've ever read that have a shred of consistency or logical sense derived from their name is here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...MBTI-Functions
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  7. #47
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post


    And you even used a quintessential ISFP to get your point across.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  8. #48
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    My post was intended to be serious yet humorous. INFJ's have a crude earthy sense of humor and INFP's don't.

    Otherwise, in general, INFJ's are aggressive sluts and INFP's are flower sniffers
    Um, I think you may have confused INFJs with ENFJs or ISFPs. INFJs don't have enough Se to be aggressive sluts, I find them usually to be quite the opposite of that, though not necessarily "prudes."

  9. #49
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    @Mane

    See here's my deal. There are some INFJ 4's who I bump into who are motorcycle riding gymnasts who read "great expectations" one too many times. Then there are INFJ 4's I meet who listen to sigur ros and hate motorcycles and hate leaving their houses and pretty much hate everything stated prior and are more interested in drawing pictures and talking to their cat about the sound of the rain against the glass.

    One I have absolute love and adoration for, the other makes me cringe.

    There is a completely different change in flavor. A great inconsistency. So I move over to INFP's. Its the same exact thing. The only system I've found that's had any competence in separating the differences for me is socionics.

    However Extroverts almost never have an issue with swapping the J/P

    I think there's even a website dedicated to solving the differences. If we're going by Kiersey, sure. J/P difference is easy to see. But a lot of people don't actually know what the functional definitions are online.

    The only functional definitions I've ever read that have a shred of consistency or logical sense derived from their name is here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...MBTI-Functions
    You should possibly consider the fact that there are a lot of fake "INFJs" running around. I'll bet money the second type of INFJ 4 you described are more likely the real INFJ 4s.

  10. #50
    A_priori
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Each type seems to view the other as more rigid. I don't have "incredibly rigid morals & values". The word rigid is just.... wrong. I always think Fe types assume a Je attitude when interpreting Fi, and it's just....wrong.

    I'm reminded of some anecdote MBTI author Naomi Quenk wrote (I think...?). Basically, some INFP shocked her INTJ husband with some action or interest because it made her seem inconsistent. This is usually because of a Je mentality being applied to a Ji mentality. With Ji, the inner consistency is deep & more conceptual than specific, but its interpretation becomes broad and very flexible with Pe, which sort of brings the real world application.

    The reason it's hard to change an INFP's mind is because
    1) You probably don't really know their mind to begin with. You've bought into the sweet, gentle social mask or the temperamental artist image, or whatever they put out.
    2) There is no value so much as a feeling of fundamental truth about human nature, which is the sort of gauge for value. This concept has been built & refined since birth & is much deeper & more well though out than most can imagine. This is hard if not impossible to change because you'd be telling someone their internal experience is false, and for an introvert, this will just make them angry. And with Ne, there are few arguments we have not anticipated and already explored mentally. But rarely does anyone even manage to hit the crux, as Fi is mostly indirectly expressed, if at all.



    The only truth in it would relate to the inferiors.

    Se can be crude. Certainly anyone could have crude humor, but Se probably takes the cake. So inferior Se may result in some crudeness. However, IMO, many NJs really recoil at crudeness because their Se is inferior. Vulgarity is often a real turn-off to these, and they may only be receptive to it in areas like humor (I notice people enjoy humor which sort of utilizes their inferior; ie, SJs seem to like & sometimes use the absurd, random imaginativeness of Ne).

    On that show Frasier, both Frasier and Niles are NJs, IMO. They're caricatures of that attitude, where they indulge a lot in high brow sensory stuff but have a distaste for anything very ordinary, earthy or crude.

    INFPs have inferior Te though, which means rawness belongs to us. This is often in communication & expression. While we generally don't like to hurt people's feelings or be direct in a bossy way, INFPs often have a sarcastic, blunt and very direct side. This is usually if we're under stress though, and it varies with individuals.

    I've also seen NPs in general find amusement in crudeness because of an absurdity aspect. You'll see a lot of NTPs in general be crude in their humor, but it's not really the same as sensing crudeness.

    IMO, "ridiculousness" tends to go over NJ's heads. In some ways, I'd say they take themselves way more seriously than NPs. Visit any INFJ forum & it has a much more serious tone than an INFP forum, where self-depecating humor abounds. What INFPs probably take more seriously are things which are important to us. This is because we have a less viable take on values. Fe is more flexible in a "what works" way, whereas Fi is more about an unattainable perfection. But Ne is obviously more flexible than Ni, which is where NJs will take themselves too seriously (and sometimes miss their own ridiculousness, as a result).

    I'm e4, so last, so I tend to be a bit more cantankerous than some INFPs. I don't know how much enneagram comes into play here either... I don't like vulgarity a lot because of that e4 aesthetic snobbery. I also dislike a lot of cutesy stuff - not into Disney, although I don't hate it. I also dislike a lot of fantasy genre associated with INFPs, although I have a penchant for some whimsy and imaginative stuff; I just like more refined or exotic things. I actually relate somewhat to the NJ Se rejection, but I'm way less uppity than they can be. I would occasionally horrify my INFJ ex by doing something very Pe-ish which was not inline with Je social protocol; the kind of casual & oblivious blunder of propriety NFPs tend to make. He was way more class conscious. I was definitely something closer to "bohemian".

    For the record, I also actually speak some Hindi and have taken some interest in some of the more sensual Indian dances - hahaha.

    One thing I never found incompatible with my INFJ ex was humor. Neither of us was extremely vulgar nor uptight. I was the funnier of the two (and I wouldn't describe myself as funny) and much more inclined to wordplay and dryness, but I've occasionally met a funny INFJ (not common, IMO).

    Oh here's a good distinction - while both types can have an other-worldy feel, INFPs are more classically "absent-minded", as are all NPs. INFJs tend to have sharper, more scanning eyes & a heavier physical presence, as do all NJs, IMO.
    My experience with INFPs is that they tend to have quite ridged morals and values. Is this a bad thing?

Similar Threads

  1. Video: INFP vs. INFJ: Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 09:33 AM
  2. [NF] INFP vs. INFJ
    By labyrinthine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 11:34 AM
  3. [NF] INFP vs INFJ?
    By Ribonuke in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 10:27 AM
  4. INFP vs. INFJ vs. ISFJ
    By nathdep in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 10:08 PM
  5. [NF] What do you guys think?: INFP vs. INFJ
    By Glycerine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO