User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    9w8

Default Getting to the POINT

I am becoming more and more aware of just how non-Fi dom I really am and to tell the truth, sometimes I have to cut and paste Fi-dom posts and take them apart in order to try to get to the heart of what is being said [and that takes so much time, that I have a hard time posting replies to a lot of what is said here] and to my utter amazement, there often is no “point” or 'heart' of the matter and I get a bit frustrated because I feel like it is aimless wandering, but of course, it's not. I have discovered this with my INFP friend in real life; she often spends a long time telling me about something. I keep waiting for the point, but there is no point. She is just sharing an experience with me. Maybe that is more a P thing than an Fi thing. I don’t know.

Is it an NiFe thing that I feel there needs to be a purpose for what is being said, that it needs to be leading up to something, to produce something or is it a result of the J-function? Or is it a Te quality that I need for things to "produce something of substance" that I can somehow utilize and make sense of?
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

garbage

I also find myself wanting people to get to the damn point.

Where it comes from? From one of many perspectives, I'll chalk it up to J-ness.

Enneagram
    9w8

Thank you, Bologna. At least I know it's "not just me".
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Maybe preference for Je over Ji? Personally, I don't mind structuring a "point" out of available information. With that same Fi-dom wall o' text. I'd consider what prompted the text, where they were apparently trying to get with it, and try to clarify whether that was actually their purpose. I take for granted, though, that most people don't have as clear of a vision of their end point as I do, so I try to meet them where they are.

I get a lot more frustrated with Ne-doms who are adamant about shifting the bottom line as they go along. I absolutely despise debating with ENTPs for that reason. Their standard strategy is to use Ti to corral you into debating something inane about some irrelevant sub-point that you honestly couldn't give two shits about, and claim they've won once you concede on it. I'd honestly rather a pedicure from a stonefish.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

WALMART

You are not alone.

I like telling little stories about things, but I'd like to think I'm pretty quick in my delivery, knowing where the bread and butter lies. Interesting note about it being Fi related, Fi+Ne on top of that.

This is my wall of text, apparently: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1902087

LOL.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Why does everything said must have a point? Life itself may not have one.

/pointless post
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I relate, too, and have been known to pick out the visible "points" and discard the rest. But on the other hand, I don't. The idea of not ever doing or saying anything without an objective makes me queasy.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

garbage

Also: I was once told that I'm too wordy on this forum. I have no clue how that's true.

Why I bring it up is that--I guess people have different standards on "pointedness"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Why does everything said must have a point? Life itself may not have one.
    Good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Maybe preference for Je over Ji? Personally, I don't mind structuring a "point" out of available information.
    True 'nuff. It's always worth asking, "What, if anything, can I squeeze out of this sponge of information?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

As someone who generally takes a good amount of verbal output to get where I'm going -

Perhaps you're just not seeing what the purpose of their communication is when you feel like that. Sometimes I find people who are very joking or long-winded to be frustrating, but the joker generally jokes to create a fun atmosphere, or to prompt unusual responses, and the long-winded people sometimes need to speak for a while before they can phrase it accurately enough to satisfy them, or they enjoy the expression or conversation. I got frustrated in an INFP thread recently because the point of it was very unclear to me, but to other users there it was a comprehensible and satisfying discussion. Last night I was trying to explain the "feel" of a memory to my boyfriend, and the point of it was far more difficult than I could realistically achieve, as I was hoping he'd understand the same feelings and feel inspired and nostalgic in the same way. I could barely even articulate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex
    I get a lot more frustrated with Ne-doms who are adamant about shifting the bottom line as they go along.
    I can understand that. It's not to fuck with you, it's just the way we amalgamate information. I wish I had the gift of going into things decided, but almost everything is a journey of discovery. Every post for me is like that. I write it, but I restructure as I'm writing, as I discover better lines of thought to run on. I edit for organization after the thoughts pour out, not before or during, as I really struggle trying to organize them in my head - feels like a giant bowl of alphabet soup. Unfortunately, it's impossible to go back and edit speech! That said, ENTPs are notoriously trolly debaters.

@Ene, if you're Ni-dom and you're looking at Pe information, I could understand why it could be aggravating. For us, the more information that's added, the better. I have decent Te and I like a nice clear structure, but I almost always prefer more information to less, as that gives me the opportunity to sort and choose what is most important, distilling it for myself. Strong Ni users seem to prefer more concise information, from which they can draw context out in many different directions. I struggle to do that and find it frustrating. On the other hand, I imagine that for a Ni user, too much information is aggravating.

Society

So if something cant be summarized in a one liner it is pointless?