User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 81

  1. #61
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    However, I think Nardi's study shows Ti types are rather poor listeners. I suppose the tendency to tune people out because you don't find what they're saying "relevant" has its advantages, but the problem is when "relevancy" is always determined by the listener. It has to make sense according to a point they've pre-decided on, which will certainly make you miss someone's point if it's in a blindspot or covering ground that has never occurred to you.

    I often will feel that INTPs create a strawman a lot because of poor listening. They hear one thing & assume the larger point or the reason for a conclusion, & then they write it all off as a whole without listening to the rest for clarification. To me, this again looks like "stupid" or "poor reading comprehension". It seems INFJs may do this also....
    Also, the appeal to authority fallacy. I find it's not just the information itself, it's who delivers the info, and how the info is delivered. It's fascinating to me to see whole blocks of data just erased because of who said it. So, even though an INTP is a Ji type, there's still a lot of stuff they seem to dismiss as irrelevant. I wonder if I automatically dismiss anything as irrelevant? Probably if I feel someone is a total jerk, that might make my listening tune out. Even still, I can't help myself, I still pay attention to at least some degree. Even obnoxious people are not totally irrelevant.

    Which leads me to ... what type is the biggest information sponge? Take as much in as possible, leave nothing out. Process. I am tempted to say INFP, but that's only from examining myself. I just gorge on information, am practically addicted to more and more. When I was a kid, I felt like an empty vessel being filled and filled with experience and information and other data.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  2. #62
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Oh, and @Z Buck McFate: found a working link for your video: http://vimeo.com/7117832

    From my experience, STJ's will let go faster when the facts are spelled out. But that was a great clip!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  3. #63
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Hey, Flatlander,
    Thanks so much for responding and taking the time to do a phenomenal job of it, too. I have considered the possibility that you are right about my friend. She could possibly be an INTP and has maybe been mistyped. If so, then that would indicate that the main function behind her communication style is not Fi. May I add that from personal observation, it appears that INFP and INTP have similar [but not identical] communication styles, so that would indicate that the responsible function is likely not Fi or Ti but those two are mere filters? Then it could be as someone else on this thread said, that the “getting to the point quickly is an Ni thing” and the “providing scattered info” is an Ne thing. [Neither is better or worse than the other; they are just different.]

    Your assessment of her is very insightful, but I should have mentioned that she is very introverted, so I’m still leaning toward INFP or INTP. Yeah, inferior sensation definitely fits the bill.

    About the bolded, I have no idea why I did that. [I was likely trying to multitask when I did it.]

    Hmmm....I’m beginning to doubt some of the internet tests. Some of them seem very biased toward one type or the other. So, I have gotten a copy of Gifts Differing and am reading it. I have been reading a lot of stuff online, too, but as with anything, the experts don’t always agree and as you say, there is a lot of misinformation floating around and someone like me, who is new at this stuff, has to filter through all of it. Still, I will keep digging when I get the time. I am certain of my Ni. I have never had a doubt about it, but the other functions? I'm still working on those.

    In MBTI by functions my closest alternative is INTJ, because I am indeed Ni dominant with T secondary. I'd actually rather a denotation like iNt, no J or P, as neither J nor P as behaviors apply perfectly to me on a consistent basis, and I don't put much stock in that indicator.
    So, in real life, you might look like more personable INTJ than your average INTJ? I think that is a very balanced person and that it would serve one well if he or she were blessed to be that way.

    I appreciate your two year’s worth of experience as I have only been at this since I joined this forum and I am still learning, still gathering perspectives and trying to assimilate them and dissect them in order to determine what they mean in general and how they relate to my daily life and how that translates into my job performance and interactions with others and how it relates to what I do and why I do it and to what others do and why they do it. Thanks again, so much. Your thoughts have been very helpful.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

  4. #64
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    Hey, Flatlander,
    Thanks so much for responding and taking the time to do a phenomenal job of it, too. I have considered the possibility that you are right about my friend. She could possibly be an INTP and has maybe been mistyped. If so, then that would indicate that the main function behind her communication style is not Fi. May I add that from personal observation, it appears that INFP and INTP have similar [but not identical] communication styles, so that would indicate that the responsible function is likely not Fi or Ti but those two are mere filters? Then it could be as someone else on this thread said, that the “getting to the point quickly is an Ni thing” and the “providing scattered info” is an Ne thing. [Neither is better or worse than the other; they are just different.]
    I have to disagree about this, as the Fi-Te and Ti-Fe axis will play the largest role in INP cognition and thus also affect their communication patterns the most. Being one I should know, especially as my auxiliary and tertiary functions are not fully differentited so I occasionally change between Ne-Si and Ni-Se.

    While it happens that I Ne ramble in conversation, there is always a point to what I'm saying. Also, Ni rambles can be as bad from dominant types. It happens that I also Ni ramble but there is still always a point. It's Te pushing out making it so. I find that strong Fe users in particular often have issues articulating a point because their Fe gets in the way.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  5. #65
    Fair and Square Flatlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    iNtj
    Enneagram
    582 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    Hey, Flatlander,
    Thanks so much for responding and taking the time to do a phenomenal job of it, too. I have considered the possibility that you are right about my friend. She could possibly be an INTP and has maybe been mistyped. If so, then that would indicate that the main function behind her communication style is not Fi. May I add that from personal observation, it appears that INFP and INTP have similar [but not identical] communication styles, so that would indicate that the responsible function is likely not Fi or Ti but those two are mere filters? Then it could be as someone else on this thread said, that the “getting to the point quickly is an Ni thing” and the “providing scattered info” is an Ne thing. [Neither is better or worse than the other; they are just different.]
    Your assessment of her is very insightful, but I should have mentioned that she is very introverted, so I’m still leaning toward INFP or INTP. Yeah, inferior sensation definitely fits the bill.
    If inferior sensation fits the bill, in the sense that she has it as a classic Jungian inferior, then she is not an INTP or INFP by functions - both of those have Je (Te or Fe) inferiors. She would be an ENP or an INJ.

    Si dominants can also mistake themselves for Intuitive types, because Si is an abstract function in its own right and it works with Ne as an axis. I've seen Si doms do things like put together that someone is transgendered without consciously knowing how, just by looking at them - it seems like an intuitive leap - but when they investigate how they did it, it turns out it relies on a body of experience about what male and female bodies look like and so forth. Si gives them a personal slant on, and evolving body of knowledge of, what is sensed, so their experiential history and how they understood it matters.

    About the bolded, I have no idea why I did that. [I was likely trying to multitask when I did it.]
    OK.

    Hmmm....I’m beginning to doubt some of the internet tests. Some of them seem very biased toward one type or the other. So, I have gotten a copy of Gifts Differing and am reading it. I have been reading a lot of stuff online, too, but as with anything, the experts don’t always agree and as you say, there is a lot of misinformation floating around and someone like me, who is new at this stuff, has to filter through all of it. Still, I will keep digging when I get the time. I am certain of my Ni. I have never had a doubt about it, but the other functions? I'm still working on those.
    Based on our conversation and this thread, I might call Fe/Ti for you.

    Intellectually, I look at Fe and Ti as being a pair that uses objective relation (or sees the outside world more holistically) and subjective differentiation (applying their own peculiar system). What that means if the two are in that order is that the Fe will look at how the world's relations work in a common context (i.e. group relations) and fit itself somewhere into that matrix, and the Ti will pick apart within that framework to find the finer gradations of difference accordingly.

    Fe/Ti often looks softer than Te/Fi in the way the person's intellect works. On the other hand, considering the way they act, Fe doms can seem practical, strident or cold, kinda like Te doms. I currently live with an ESFJ who is a nice person and understands people and relations very well, complete with inferior Ti confusion when she tries to structure her thinking or grasp structure in the first place, but incredibly practical, down to earth and high-strung about her work and life, sometimes getting stuck in needing things about/with others to be the way her culture/background dictates (enneagram core 1, 3/4 fix).

    So, in real life, you might look like more personable INTJ than your average INTJ? I think that is a very balanced person and that it would serve one well if he or she were blessed to be that way.
    Eh. I don't have the greatest awareness of how I look, I might seem that way but it's a tough call. My own assessment would be that I fluctuate, but considering it through enneagram, I have a tendency to not perpetuate conflict (9 fix) and to offer my understanding (2 fix). I try to solve problems that come up, and when I want to win in a conflict I try to do it surgically, with little blood loss - as efficiently as I can.

    I appreciate your two year’s worth of experience as I have only been at this since I joined this forum and I am still learning, still gathering perspectives and trying to assimilate them and dissect them in order to determine what they mean in general and how they relate to my daily life and how that translates into my job performance and interactions with others and how it relates to what I do and why I do it and to what others do and why they do it. Thanks again, so much. Your thoughts have been very helpful.
    Best of luck.
    Thinking must serve the thinker.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Thanks, Lea, for providing another way of looking at it.

    Thank you, Flatlander, for my friend, I will consider other possiblities. Also, I may refer back to your post here from time to time as I work through this stuff. As for me, you're probably right. I believe myself to be INFJ, because nothing else comes close to fitting, either that, or maybe I'm not really human There are those who live around me who have their doubts.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

  7. #67
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    So if you need to have an idea of what the point is in order to be able to give someone the attentiveness they deserve, what is a good way to ask for what you need without causing your friend offense or pain?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  8. #68
    Fair and Square Flatlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    iNtj
    Enneagram
    582 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    maybe I'm not really human There are those who live around me who have their doubts.
    If I might ask, why?
    Thinking must serve the thinker.

  9. #69
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Yes, you may and I will tell you to the best of my ability. [I'm sorry that is a long response, but I hope there is something worthwhile in it.]

    Oh, they mostly just tease me, I think.

    One has to do with memory: I get a lot lines from my family like this, "I don't see no points on your ears, so how do you remember so exaclty?" And another one is, "Are you an antroid or something?" And sometimes I get called a "walking encyclopedia".


    I think another reason has to do with...well, I get told this, "I feel like you know everything about me. I don't like to be around you." [yes, I've literally been told this many times, even when I wasn't saying a word to indicate that in any way whatsoever.] I want to tell you that I do not going around trying to tell people about themselves. I have a hard enough time keeping me straight. I don't want to straighten out other people, too.

    I'm full of odd facts and useless information [at least to most people they're useless].

    I remember almost anything that I listen to and I absorb my surroundings, sight, sound, smell and the way it feels, even the mood of an environment or of the people in that environment. For example, if I met you in real life, I'd immediately notice your height, approximate weight, probable measurements, hair color, eye color, shoe size, pitch of your voice, your accent or lack of one, your clothing style, you car make and liscense plate number. I would notice you body language and if your eyes looked tired or not or if you seemed frazzled or hurried. If you told me your birthday or phone number I may remember it years down the road. I never forget a face and rarely forget a name or facts about a person. [I can remember phone numbers and birthdays of kids I went to school with when I was in first grade!] I would notice any tics that you may have. If you have a visible scar or tattoo, I'd notice that, too. I would notice your bone structure, your hands and the way you walk. Ten years later, I could draw your picture from that memory and it would look like you did on the day I saw you. I don't try to do it. Stuff just soaks into my brain without me realizing it. I mean I can just be sitting there talking to you, eating pizza or whatever and three years later somebody might ask me what you were wearing that time we went out for pizza and I could tell them. Crazy talent, huh?

    Or maybe that's normal for lots of people who just don't happen to live in my immediate surroundings. It does get irritating sometimes because it means that I notice EVERYTHING about everybody, even when they're lying to me and when they really don't want to be there. I've really had to grow a thick skin and I've learned not to correct people when they're talking and I've had to learn to let a lot of little things go and just forgive people because when I examine myself, I realize that I'm glad that not everyone around me shares my ability to absorb so much, because I wouldn't want it turned back on me! It's not like reading minds or anything, it's just noticing everything about a person and instinctively knowing 'stuff'. Some people that have married into my family won't even come around me, even though I've never done anything to them. One guy told my niece [she told me over the phone why he wasn't coming to my house with her] that I was scary. My niece said, "But she's really sweet." He said, "I feel like she knows everything I've ever done." Of course, I don't know everything he's ever done and I've never said anything to indicate it, but he says I make him uneasy. One lady I know confessed to me that for a long time she didn't want to be near me because she felt like I could look at her and see her whole life. I told her that I didn't do that and even if I did know some hidden thing about her that I'd never tell anyone. I try to turn it off sometimes, but it won't turn off.

    Anyway, those are the reasons why I get that from people I think.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

  10. #70
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    So if you need to have an idea of what the point is in order to be able to give someone the attentiveness they deserve, what is a good way to ask for what you need without causing your friend offense or pain?
    That is a good question, Cafe, but I don't know the answer. haha...I wish I did.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] INFJ does not understand ENFP please help me get to the bottom of it :)
    By pollypossom in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 07:49 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 01:24 AM
  3. Getting to the bottom of things
    By sunset5678 in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 07:29 AM
  4. [ENFP] How do I get to the dating phase with an ENFP?
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM
  5. [INTJ] Un-Emotional to the point of ignoring reactive instinct?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO