User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 81

  1. #31
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    ^ hahahah. Oh man I always hated the "minimum length requirements". The only way I ever met them was through writing fairly detailed and pointless examples.

  2. #32
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    I think "points" are learned through the context and connotation when the explicit details relate to the audience's interpretation of something. Sometimes I just talk for the sake of being known, and in those cases, a dry illustration of my perspective can suffice. If someone gives a long-winded explanation, it probably means they think they are misunderstood, which, from what I hear, is rather common for INFPs.

  3. #33
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    I need to know where things are going if it's going to be a long account. It helps me be patient and enjoy the story.

    I think I probably start out a lot of stories with "OMG! Can you believe this?? So and so did/said blabitty blabitty blah blah blah . . . "

    And end them with "Why would somebody DO/SAY that?!?"

    So the point is kinda there, but then I keep rehashing it over and over again because I'm all and trying to figure out what I'm missing because it doesn't make any sense to me and I need for things to make sense from some perspective, no matter how convoluted.

    I suspect it is not a joyous experience for my listeners.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  4. #34
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I am becoming more and more aware of just how non-Fi dom I really am and to tell the truth, sometimes I have to cut and paste Fi-dom posts and take them apart in order to try to get to the heart of what is being said [and that takes so much time, that I have a hard time posting replies to a lot of what is said here] and to my utter amazement, there often is no “point” or 'heart' of the matter and I get a bit frustrated because I feel like it is aimless wandering, but of course, it's not. I have discovered this with my INFP friend in real life; she often spends a long time telling me about something. I keep waiting for the point, but there is no point. She is just sharing an experience with me. Maybe that is more a P thing than an Fi thing. I don’t know.

    Is it an NiFe thing that I feel there needs to be a purpose for what is being said, that it needs to be leading up to something, to produce something or is it a result of the J-function? Or is it a Te quality that I need for things to "produce something of substance" that I can somehow utilize and make sense of?
    Yes, I’ve said almost this exact thing in the forum before, more than once. It isn’t that I don’t think they have a point, but I struggle with trying to understand the relevance because my mind prioritizes other kinds of information and works in the other direction.


    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I'm also a fan of

    "Here's my point: [the point]

    Here's why I think that: [long flippin' explanatory text here]"

    Best of both worlds for me.
    Ideally, yes. My problem is finding the relevance. There’s some reason they’re saying it. Until I know what that reason is, they’re just saying a bunch of *stuff* (that I’ll never remember or be able to pay attention to, because I have no idea where it fits). If you give me the grocery cart before you start passing all sorts of *stuff* to me, then I’ll have somewhere to put it. Otherwise I’ll only be able to ‘hold’ one or two of those things (and if I can’t figure out what those two things are for, I’ll put them down as soon as I get distracted and forget about them as well).

    I think it's especially a problem when communicating via a written medium because it allows me to focus on the content more than the person (which leads me to want to focus harder on the point). When I get together with my INFP friend irl there’s never really a problem.

    I’ve thought before it may be largely Ti/Fe vs. Fi/Te because I find that INTP posts actually often help me clear up ambivalent thoughts I’m having. And when the introverted judgment being used is Ti, I don’t struggle anywhere near as much to understand the relevance of the nits they’re picking. [eta: this post still effectively nails it for me, why INFPs can sound like "Emo emo. Emo. Emo? Emo." to me.]
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  5. #35
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    a common Ne/Ni conco:
    Ne: [insert a ramble about Y X & Z]
    Ni: so your saying that Y = X/2+Z, meaning [insert Ne observation]..
    Ne: yes, and X=(Y-Z)*2
    Ni: but that means...
    Ne:.and ofcourse Z=Y-X-2
    Ni: so whats the point of all this?

    One possible solution for Ni users reading or listening to Ne content (here and elsewhere), as well as maximizing Ni/Ne dynamics, is to percieve that there will be multiply points, or rather meanings.. which the Ne author might be completely unaware of, and in fact would rather apriciate.

    I think to some extent thats what my INTJ father did with my ENFP mother and my ENTP self, and he seemed to enjoy it more often then getting frustrated by it.

  6. #36
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    a common Ne/Ni conco:
    Ne: [insert a ramble about Y X & Z]
    Ni: so your saying that Y = X/2+Z, meaning [insert Ne observation]..
    Ne: yes, and X=(Y-Z)*2
    Ni: but that means...
    Ne:.and ofcourse Z=Y-X-2
    Ni: so whats the point of all this?

    One possible solution for Ni users reading or listening to Ne content (here and elsewhere), as well as maximizing Ni/Ne dynamics, is to percieve that there will be multiply points, or rather meanings.. which the Ne author might be completely unaware of, and in fact would rather apriciate.

    I think to some extent thats what my INTJ father did with my ENFP mother and my ENTP self, and he seemed to enjoy it more often then getting frustrated by it.
    I get Z = Y - X/2
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  7. #37
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I am becoming more and more aware of just how non-Fi dom I really am and to tell the truth, sometimes I have to cut and paste Fi-dom posts and take them apart in order to try to get to the heart of what is being said [and that takes so much time, that I have a hard time posting replies to a lot of what is said here] and to my utter amazement, there often is no “point” or 'heart' of the matter and I get a bit frustrated because I feel like it is aimless wandering, but of course, it's not. I have discovered this with my INFP friend in real life; she often spends a long time telling me about something. I keep waiting for the point, but there is no point. She is just sharing an experience with me. Maybe that is more a P thing than an Fi thing. I don’t know.

    Is it an NiFe thing that I feel there needs to be a purpose for what is being said, that it needs to be leading up to something, to produce something or is it a result of the J-function? Or is it a Te quality that I need for things to "produce something of substance" that I can somehow utilize and make sense of?
    My real question is, what is the point of this rant? Anyway, in socionics, seeking a "point" in someone's post or idea suggests Te as a valuing function, yes. If anything in socionics, it would be alphas and to a degree, betas, being unable to get to their points due to the way Ti-Fe operates where Ti rarely has a "point" in itself that Te does.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  8. #38
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think I probably start out a lot of stories with "OMG! Can you believe this?? So and so did/said blabitty blabitty blah blah blah . . . "

    And end them with "Why would somebody DO/SAY that?!?"
    Because People Are Stupid.

    (Is that concise enough?)

  9. #39
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default


  10. #40
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Hey, Lea,

    Thanks for responding.

    My real question is, what is the point of this rant?
    First, thank you very much for your reply.

    Second, to be nit-picky, it's not a rant. A rant, according to dictionary.com is, ".1: to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner 2: to scold vehemently:... to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion." So, I'm not ranting, just asking questions. Just wanted to 'clarify.'

    Third: the point is that I was asking these specific questions:
    1.Is it an NiFe thing that I feel there needs to be a purpose for what is being said
    ,
    2. or is it a result of the J-function?
    3.Or is it a Te quality that I need for things to "produce something of substance" that I can somehow utilize and make sense of?
    And you answered:

    Anyway, in socionics, seeking a "point" in someone's post or idea suggests Te as a valuing function, yes.
    Thank you.

    If anything in socionics, it would be alphas and to a degree, betas, being unable to get to their points due to the way Ti-Fe operates where Ti rarely has a "point" in itself that Te does.
    Hmmm...thank you for this. It helps me realize that I am more alpha than beta
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] INFJ does not understand ENFP please help me get to the bottom of it :)
    By pollypossom in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 07:49 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 01:24 AM
  3. Getting to the bottom of things
    By sunset5678 in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 07:29 AM
  4. [ENFP] How do I get to the dating phase with an ENFP?
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM
  5. [INTJ] Un-Emotional to the point of ignoring reactive instinct?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO