• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do movies we like and books we read say about our types?

Jaguar

A top pick for President Bush, once an owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team, is the baseball movie "Field of Dreams."

Mark Jacob, you're an idiot.

En Gallop

THANK YOU, someone who sees what I see.

Except I think music is more specifically indicative of type than movie choice or book choice. I can almost tell someone's type by the music they listen to. In fact, I'd be interested in attempting to guess someone's personality type simply by the music they listen to.

Okay... what type am I? :)

Joanna Newsom
Sigur Ros
Jonsi
Bob Dylan
Radiohead
The Beatles
The Libertines
Regina Spektor
Chopin
Mozart

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Okay... what type am I? :)

Joanna Newsom
Sigur Ros
Jonsi
Bob Dylan
Radiohead
The Beatles
The Libertines
Regina Spektor
Chopin
Mozart

Well if you're not an INTP 5w4 as your profile said, then my guess would have been INFP. As for enneagram, its hard to say. I want to say E1 simply because I don't recognize the energy in your music, and I'm very unfamiliar with E1's. You definitely have Si and Ne in there somewhere based on the old nostalgic and unabrasive tones to the music.

Can you guess what type I actually am without prior knowledge?

Garbage - Milk
Vast - Sunday I'll be gone
UT3 - Rom Necris Victory Theme
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Anger (Rare force 2 Remix)
Markus Schulz - Perfect (Agnelli & Nelson Remix)
Amanaska - Sleep
Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye
Noise unit - Illicit dreams

En Gallop

Well if you're not an INTP 5w4 as your profile said, then my guess would have been INFP. As for enneagram, its hard to say. I want to say E1 simply because I don't recognize the energy in your music, and I'm very unfamiliar with E1's. You definitely have Si and Ne in there somewhere based on the old nostalgic and unabrasive tones to the music.

Interesting. :)
I tend to be more interested in the lyrics than the music most of the time. But yeah, the exception is Sigur Ros/Jonsi, whose lyrics I can't understand. :)

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it depends on why you like them. For the characters, plot, morals, production, effects..
I think that can say something about you.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yesh! I like telling people what I like because I'm self centered!

Movies
-Donnie Darko
-Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
-Moulin Rouge
-Silver Linings Playbook
-Les Miserable
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Books:
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower
-Wicked
-The Screwtape Letters
-This Present Darkness

Judge me!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love Star Wars and Pokemon! That must make me an SJ!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hmm. Two of my favorite musicians are TonioK and Mark Heard. They both had fairly short, not terribly successful careers and Mark Heard died twenty years ago.

I also like Weird Al, Jonathan Coulton, and Mumford and Sons.

I don't actually listen to music all that much because I am usually listening to an audiobook.

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Can you guess what type I actually am without prior knowledge?

Garbage - Milk
Vast - Sunday I'll be gone
UT3 - Rom Necris Victory Theme
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Anger (Rare force 2 Remix)
Markus Schulz - Perfect (Agnelli & Nelson Remix)
Amanaska - Sleep
Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye
Noise unit - Illicit dreams

The vibe of this music makes me think very strong Fi and introversion, so INFP or ISFP. I couldn't tell you about S or N functions though. And I listened to some tracks before looking at your Enneagram type and thought type 4, definitely.

Take a whack at my type?

Main Theme - Rudy Soundtrack
The Hand of Fate (Part 2) - Signs Soundtrack
(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson
I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis & the News
Never Tell Your Mother She's Out of Tune - Jack Bruce
Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants
Keep the Customer Satisfied - Simon & Garfunkel
Birdland - Weather Report
A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
The vibe of this music makes me think very strong Fi and introversion, so INFP or ISFP. I couldn't tell you about S or N functions though. And I listened to some tracks before looking at your Enneagram type and thought type 4, definitely.

Take a whack at my type?

Main Theme - Rudy Soundtrack
The Hand of Fate (Part 2) - Signs Soundtrack
(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson
I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis & the News
Never Tell Your Mother She's Out of Tune - Jack Bruce
Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants
Keep the Customer Satisfied - Simon & Garfunkel
Birdland - Weather Report
A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum

Hmm, I should take some of those songs out because they were given to me by 4's.

The only songs that apply to me are UT3 rom necris victory theme, Garbage - milk, markus schulz - perfect, and ulrich schnauss - goodbye.

I type you as ISTP, possibly an enneagram 6 or 9?

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm, I should take some of those songs out because they were given to me by 4's.

The only songs that apply to me are UT3 rom necris victory theme, Garbage - milk, markus schulz - perfect, and ulrich schnauss - goodbye.

I type you as ISTP, possibly an enneagram 6 or 9?

Yeah, I think I'm stuck between Enneagram 6w5 or 9w1. But I'm kind of in the same sitch as you as far as recommended/shared music taste with other people, because my ISTP dad definitely likes a lot of that same music/introduced me to some of it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MOVIES
The Prestige
American Beauty
The Silence of the Lambs
Pan's Labyrinth
Aliens
Donnie Darko
Saving Private Ryan
Black Swan
Sunshine
A Fish Called Wanda
Kick-Ass

TV SHOWS
American Horror Story
LOST
X-Files
BBC Sherlock
Smash
Cheers
Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DSN)
Hannibal
Heroes
The Walking Dead
The Muppet Show

The thread just seems to be the typical review of things I already know about myself. Basically I like things that are inventive/creative (rather than just the average drama or comedy); I really like dark or disturbing psychological explorations of the human condition, although I like shows that also express hope or redemption; I like artistry; and I also like funny stuff (I didn't add silly things like Ace Ventura or Liar, Liar, or toss in more humorous character dramas like Juno, Being John Malkovich, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but it's all there). I also like good action movies, physical displays of awesomeness. "Hero" is one example, the Bourne movies are pretty good as well.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Yeah, I think I'm stuck between Enneagram 6w5 or 9w1. But I'm kind of in the same sitch as you as far as recommended/shared music taste with other people, because my ISTP dad definitely likes a lot of that same music/introduced me to some of it.

heh.

well, I'm an ESTP 8 Sx/So, which often are mistaken to be e4 and e6.

When I listened to your music I immediately thought of my college room mate who would listen to "mr blue sky"

lol... I love this stuff, it makes me laugh everytime I hear it, but its way too happy for me to ever listen to on a regular basis. Its almost like I don't enjoy being happy.

The happiest I'm willing to go on my own accord is still talking about guns and psychopaths :rofl1::

Lark

Does anyone believe that old saying about you are what you read?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I suddenly realized how much I need to lighten up right now

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
heh.

well, I'm an ESTP 8 Sx/So, which often are mistaken to be e4 and e6.

When I listened to your music I immediately thought of my college room mate who would listen to "mr blue sky"

lol... I love this stuff, it makes me laugh everytime I hear it, but its way too happy for me to ever listen to on a regular basis. Its almost like I don't enjoy being happy.

The happiest I'm willing to go on my own accord is still talking about guns and psychopaths :rofl1::

Haha yeah I loooooove happy, upbeat music. I didn't include any ska but if I'm down I'll just listen to the ska and classic ska pandora stations because goddamn that music sounds so happy. And most of my favorite movies make me laugh and make me really happy, and I adore comedies and uplifting sports movies (even though I hate sports) soooo yeah spot on analysis there!

And I love the brassy sections in the second song you posted!

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=10707]kissmyasthma[/MENTION]...

I wonder if its... unreasonably happy...

Random story, my E6 ISTP friend has a strange obsession with "the joker". I'm trying to psychoanalyze and understand why that is.

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=10707]kissmyasthma[/MENTION]...

I wonder if its... unreasonably happy...

Random story, my E6 ISTP friend has a strange obsession with "the joker".

HA, maybe I'm compensating for something x)

Did your friend like a particular incarnation of the joker? I see the appeal of the sort of campy classic joker but I was never big on Nolan's dark take on the Batman franchise...

MadHatterMatador

MBTI Type
INFP
INFP

Movies:
Les Miserables
The Shawshank Redemption
Revolutionary Road
East of Eden
American Beauty

TV:
Breaking Bad
Survivor

Books:
The Catcher in the Rye
On the Road
The Great Gatsby

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
My favourite movies are:
1. LOTR trilogy...no comparison
2. Gladiator
3. Amadeus
4. Rob Roy
5. Life of Brian
6. 007 franchise (Pierce Brosnan is my favourite Bond)
7. The original Star Wars trilogy
8. Kingdom of Heaven
9. Bourne trilogy
10. Enemy at the Gates

Personally, I don't think there is much that all these movies have in common apart from a good plot and great acting. Though if I could tease anything out, I would say that I like a combination of drama and action. The movie has to have a story, and ideally some action and heroism (and a good score of course).

I doubt tastes in movies have as much to do with MBTI as your environment and gender.