• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and music..

A

A_priori

I have read some threads on here that discuss the connection between INFJs and their interest in music and must say I am really surprised at the lack of enthusiasm and feedback. As in INFJ myself I couldn't possibly imagine my life without music. Music, film, photography and writing play such and integral role in my identify. I guess if I would have to choose between all talents and intreatest most distinct to my type, music may very well be at the top of the list. Anyways, what do other other INFJs think about this. Maybe you guys could share a few favourite songs or artists you really enjoy. Anything but radio play Plz lol

;)

I

Infinite Bubble

I also agree with your sentiment. Music is one of the biggest parts of my life, but I must admit that I had no interest in it whatsoever until the age of about 14-15. I believe it began with the advent of inferior Se, or something similar. But since then I listen to it almost constantly and enjoy composing as well. Some of my favourites would be Massive Attack, Frank Zappa, Chopin, Debussy and videogame music, although I will listen to anything - even the popular radio hits - if I like it enough.

Daenera

Rogue heart
I have read some threads on here that discuss the connection between INFJs and their interest in music and must say I am really surprised at the lack of enthusiasm and feedback. As in INFJ myself I couldn't possibly imagine my life without music. Music, film, photography and writing play such and integral role in my identify. I guess if I would have to choose between all talents and intreatest most distinct to my type, music may very well be at the top of the list. Anyways, what do other other INFJs think about this. Maybe you guys could share a few favourite songs or artists you really enjoy. Anything but radio play Plz lol

;)
I was looking for some good music threads, because yeah I'm obsessed with music too. :) I found an interesting thread so I posted some music there :) : http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-entertainment/30344-post-good-music-your-country-8.html
I think a thread on music from video games and movies might be a good idea, I wanted to start a thread like that it's just I don't have the time to do it now.:dry:
Anyway nice thread, I'll try to contribute when I can :)

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have to agree with the OP; music is an immense part of my life. For the first few years of my life, I thought absolutely everyone felt the same way about music, and I was shocked that some people are indifferent to music--not a musical genre, or a band/artist, but music in general. It was a revelation.

My taste in music is very scattered. Right now I'm re-listening to a lot of Mahler and Robert Johnson, but also Broken Social Scene, Billie Holiday, and Stars. Massive Attack, too. :-D I also love opera. I think I'd be babbling too much if I discuss opera. :blush:

Do I think this view on music is something that INFJs share? Possibly, though I'd like to venture a small guess that most people who will have the greatest response to classical music are INFJs. There's something about classical music that begs to be understood, demystified somehow, that is irresistible to INFJs. Again, that's how I see it.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I listen to music a lot, and I have listened to well over 1,000 bands/artists. I usually end up listening to their entire discography and only keeping the ones I find to be the best. I don't listen to random songs like putting it on shuffle, as with the kinds of music I listen to, that really takes away from the experience (They don't really write songs to be stand-alone entities.), so I only listen to entire cds start to finish. I gravitate toward more unorthodox music in general. I also enjoy a good deal of classical, though I pretty much only use Pandora for that.

And you would not have to worry about me listing any radio music, nothing I listen to is ever played on the radio. ;)

Here are some random ones: (Some bands use the same name in different countries, but I don't really care to look up which ones they are.)

Blotted Science
Death
Virus
The Amenta
Sephiroth
Elysian Blaze
Virgin Black
Defeated Sanity
Madder Mortem
Atrium Carceri
Evoken
Ulcerate
Immolation
Deathspell Omega
Velvet Cacoon
Ephel Duath
The Esoteric
Oranssi Pazuzu
Front Line Assembly
early Sirenia
The Ocean
Negură Bunget
Blut aus Nord

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

;)

Music reminds me why I'm alive.. that and acting are my passions in life.. It's hard to wrap my mind around existing without those.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think I feel the same way about music that other folks are describing. I do love some music and enjoy it very much, but I am more obsessed with words. Even when listening to music, if the I think the words to a song are stupid, I lose patience with it very quickly. If the words are good or interesting or funny, then I am more likely to like it. Music generally doesn't keep my attention for very long. If I have to just sit and listen to it and do nothing else, I get bored and feel like I'm being tortured. Well, I mean, I didn't feel that way at all at the Weird Al concert, but he is a god and music is only part of his show. :wubbie:

I use my mp3 player almost exclusively for audiobooks and have it on unless I am reading something or talking to someone. I escape through stories.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think I feel the same way about music that other folks are describing. I do love some music and enjoy it very much, but I am more obsessed with words. Even when listening to music, if the I think the words to a song are stupid, I lose patience with it very quickly. If the words are good or interesting or funny, then I am more likely to like it. Music generally doesn't keep my attention for very long. If I have to just sit and listen to it and do nothing else, I get bored and feel like I'm being tortured.
I'm the exact opposite. I can do nothing but listen to music for hours on end. I also couldn't care less about lyrics; the vast majority of the time I don't even read them.

LovelyAngel

Instigator, First Class
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Between
As in INFJ myself I couldn't possibly imagine my life without music. Music, film, photography and writing play such and integral role in my identify. I guess if I would have to choose between all talents and intreatest most distinct to my type, music may very well be at the top of the list.
and
I don't think I feel the same way about music that other folks are describing. I do love some music and enjoy it very much, but I am more obsessed with words.
I align more with Cafe. Of “Music, film, photography, and writing,” I’d say that writing is the strongest pillar of my identity. The love of words and ideas and stories is at the core of my being.

That said, all four arts are strongly important to me. I’m a Photographer (hobby #2), and the art that I’m most passionate about is Anime (hobby #1, which I’d say would substitute for “film”). While I love music, it ranks last in interest. I hardly keep up with any current bands or singers. My purchases of CDs (I prefer to rip from CDs and retain the physical media) probably run 10 to 1 in favor of anime soundtracks and artists over all North American, English-speaking performers.

I did see Grace Potter and the Nocturnals in concert a couple of years ago, and I loved them, so I’m not completely in the dark on music (no pun intended).

RoadPaveMent

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Music is huge for me, too. I love to take breaks from my studying or unwind right before bed by listening to music and imagining music videos. I don't have specific genres or artists I listen to; just random songs here and there. Sometimes when we're in the car my mother turns off the stereo and says, "I just want silence for a while." Silence?? Why?? It baffles me how someone could prefer that over music playing. :D

When doing homework, I like to listen to wordless music (or else I just sing along), with the exception of writing essays. Something about forming sentences makes it important for me to have silence.

Daenera

Rogue heart
Even when listening to music, if the I think the words to a song are stupid, I lose patience with it very quickly.
I have criticized people in the past for listening to songs with stupid lyrics (now I'm more mature lol) :D
When doing homework, I like to listen to wordless music
I envy you for being able to listen to music while reading, I think it's the only time I don't listen to music, I'll immediately start daydreaming :D