User Tag List

123 Last

Default INFP: Sense of Purpose?

Sometimes I feel that I lack motivation because I lack a sense of purpose. I am searching for one and feel that it is something that I require to be fulfilled. I mistakenly have tried to make a relationship that purpose but that was foolish. I want to help others and make a difference in this world but have yet to find the avenue for me.

Do other INFPs feel this way?
    Do you have a life purpose?
    Do you have a mission here on earth?
    Also what motivates you to get out of your head and put some of that idealism to use?
    Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head..." - Ween

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

From BlueWing's "INFP Profile". A quote.

"There is something missing in my life, and it has to do with my need to understand what I must do, what I must know-except, of course, that a certain amount of knowledge is presupposed in every action. I need to understand my purpose in life, to see what God wants me to do, and this means that I must find a truth which is true for me, that I must find that Idea for which I can live and die."

-Soren Kierkegaard
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I often feel this way.
    I think i do have a life purpose, but i'm not exactly sure what it is yet, although like you, i want to help people.
    I think my mission here on Earth is to try to make the world a better place, one person at a time.
    It is really hard for me to get out of my head, and the reason i haven't been able to fulfill my dreams and purpose is because i can't seem to wake up. When you know how to get this motivation, please tell me.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    From BlueWing's "INFP Profile". A quote.

"There is something missing in my life, and it has to do with my need to understand what I must do, what I must know-except, of course, that a certain amount of knowledge is presupposed in every action. I need to understand my purpose in life, to see what God wants me to do, and this means that I must find a truth which is true for me, that I must find that Idea for which I can live and die."

-Soren Kierkegaard
    Well that sums it up very well.

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    When you know how to get this motivation, please tell me.
    I most certainly will

MBTI
    INFP

I feel like that everyday
    "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not." ~Andre Gide

MBTI
    ENFP

In my quieter 'I' moments I searched for that sense of purpose...

When I was a child and alienated from the other kids and their seeming lack of purpose, I made up a little story that explained it all for me.

I was an alien and long time ago my alien comrades dropped me off on earth with a MISSION. VERY, very important mission.
    I was made to look, sound and behave like a little girl to...
    I was sent here to... well problem is you see upon landing something happened and I forgot what that mission was!
    So there I was frustrated beyond belief, not able to remember my mission and worse, not doing what it is I was meant to do!

And one day the aliens will come back for me and then I'm sure as soon as I see them it will all come back. The purpose for me being here.

He he I even picked my home star - where my planet is.

Quote Originally Posted by jungie View Post
    In my quieter 'I' moments I searched for that sense of purpose...

When I was a child and alienated from the other kids and their seeming lack of purpose, I made up a little story that explained it all for me.

I was an alien and long time ago my alien comrades dropped me off on earth with a MISSION. VERY, very important mission.
    I was made to look, sound and behave like a little girl to...
    I was sent here to... well problem is you see upon landing something happened and I forgot what that mission was!
    So there I was frustrated beyond belief, not able to remember my mission and worse, not doing what it is I was meant to do!

And one day the aliens will come back for me and then I'm sure as soon as I see them it will all come back. The purpose for me being here.

He he I even picked my home star - where my planet is.
    You know I have had that same thought when I was a kid and even today I am constantly studying UFOs/Aliens and all that stuff. Hmmmmmm....

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Abhaya View Post
    Sometimes I feel that I lack motivation because I lack a sense of purpose. I am searching for one and feel that it is something that I require to be fulfilled. I mistakenly have tried to make a relationship that purpose but that was foolish. I want to help others and make a difference in this world but have yet to find the avenue for me.

Do other INFPs feel this way?
    Do you have a life purpose?
    Do you have a mission here on earth?
    Also what motivates you to get out of your head and put some of that idealism to use?
    INFPs, as Introverted Judging types tend to seek an internal purpose in life, one that transcends all activities of the external world. One may easily refer to such a quest as one in pursuit of a higher purpose.

This is the ultimate goal of introverted judgment. INTPs are also much preoccupied with this, though their interests tend to be impersonal, as opposed to the INFP whose pursuit of a higher purpose shall be profoundly personal.

INTPs often find such a quest in activities that tend to actualize their natural talents. This is the case because Introverted Judgment focuses the attention of the individual strictly on the subject or the self. Since the nature of the Introverted Judging type, especially an INP is abstract, it simply follows that he would be wishing to embark on such a quest. If for the INTP the search for the higher purpose consists in pursuit of truth, for the INFP it may well be the pursuit of true authenticity and depth of Feeling. This path has served INFPs like Augustine, Virgil and Kierkegaard supremely well.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Abhaya View Post

This question supposes that the world is correct in telling us we must get out of our heads.

Here is an interesting quote, reported to come from Jung, but I have not verfied it as such:

Lightmind Extract 006

Quote:
    tom.guerry 8.30.04

From the Jung forum:

Jung to Johnson :

You have been claimed for an inner life,” Dr. Jung declared. “If you will remain loyal to the inner world, it will take care of you. That is what you are good for in this life. I must tell you at the outset that you should never join anything.”

“You must learn to accept that whatever you need will turn up for you,” he continued. “Even if you never produce anything of social value, your relationship with the collective unconscious will justify your reason for being on the face of the earth.”

“Please remember, it is what you are that heals, not what you know. In the beginning of my career I knew nothing, actually less than nothing. But still it worked. And do you know what? It was because of who I was.”