User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Thought I was INFJ. Tested as INFP?

Hello, there. It's been awhile since I've posted here. Recently, I took the "official" MBTI test proctored by my university's career center. Using the test in the book, Please Understand Me, I tested as INFJ. My results, (out of 30 for each preference) are as follows:

(I)ntroversion - 30/30 (Very Clear Preference)

I(N)tuition - 14/30 (Moderate)

(F)eeling - 12/30 (Moderate)

(P)erceiving - 1/30 (Very Slight)

This last preferecne is what makes me uneasy, but thinking about it, I do seem to have an almost equal preference for these behaviors. In the past, I tested unofficially and self-typed myself as INFJ. Reading the descriptions of each, they both sound like me. I tend to prefer to have things settled (J), but also dislike routine for the sake of routine (P).

I know the main difference between INFJ and INFP is that INFP's dominant function is Fi with auxillary Ne, while INFJ is Ni with auxillary Fe. I guess I could use some assistance understanding the difference between these functions. These seem like such similar types, but I know they aren't. Fi is confusing to me. INFJ and INFP almost have opposite/reversed dominant/auxillary functions. I know there is stuff on the web about this, but I think if I discuss this with people in real time, I'll have an easier time understanding it.

I know this is a big difference, which is why I'm struggling to figure out my true type.

Currently, my room (shared with ENFP girlfriend) is quite messy. I have a bookcase I haven't organized since we moved here, and misc. items everywhere. My approach to organizing is wait until the room becomes unbearably messy and then go on a rampage throwing things out/organizing. I'm only occasionally organized, and only if it's for a reason, such as working on a group project, or keeping all my files i care about tidy on my harddrive. I tend to be artistic, but I'm extremely self-critical and beat myself up all the time. This seems to prevent me from pursing my dreams. Basically, fear of failure/comittment. I also feel the need to find my spirituality, and I'm constantly redefining my outlook on life. It really gets exhausting after awhile. I'm never satisfied with the way I feel/think about the world.

I also procrastinate quite a bit. I'm quite bright, but never really enjoyed studying. I frequently shout "I f***ing hate this" while studying, which is why I'm discontinuing my second bachelor's degree after this semester.

I'm definitely introverted, and can be awkward in social situations. I also feel like I do have fairly strong Ne, which I feel paralyzes me in social situations. I often want to say something to ease the tension, but in doing so fear I might make others aware that there was tension in the first place, who might not have been aware otherwise.
    I feel like I can read people's emotions and feelings very easily, which makes me uncomfortable when I'm with friends and there is obvious (to me) tension in the room. I am hypersensitive to mine and others' emotions. I am also very sensitive to criticism, even helpful criticism. I'd almost rather not show someone I like a photograph I took, or painting I made, just in case they say something negative about it. Even if they don't share my enthusiasm, my feelings get hurt a little bit. I'm aware of this, but can't seem to change this tendency.

Anyways, I apologize for ranting on about myself, but hopefully someone else out there is in the same boat and can benefit from the discussion hereafter.

Thanks for reading!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Hey

Hard to tell by your post. I'm leaning a little INFP, but a handful of little "tells" about you seem INFJ.

Here are my favorite type character overviews of INFJ and INFP, from Berens and Nardi. These descriptions really helped me pinpoint my type - maybe they can help you with yours, too.

INFJ "Foreseer Developer"

The INFJ theme is foresight. Use their insights to deal with complexity in issues and people, often with a strong sense of "knowing" before others know themselves. Talents lie in developing and guiding people. Trust their inspirations and visions, using them to help others. Thrive on helping others resolve deep personal and ethical dilemmas. Private and complex, they bring a quiet enthusiasm and industry to projects that are part of their vision.

Thought processes: foreseeing implications, transformations, and likely effects; connecting and considering others and the group; analyzing, categorizing, and evaluating according to principles; experiencing and acting in the immediate context.

INFP "Harmonizer Clarifier"

The theme for the INFP is advocacy and integrity. Talents lie in helping people clarify issues, values, and identity. Support anything that allows the unfolding of the person. Encourage growth and development with quiet enthusiasm. Loyal advocates and champions, caring deeply about their causes and a few special people. Interested in contemplating life's mysteries, virtues, and vices in their search for wholeness. Thrive on healing conflicts, within and between, and taking people to the center of themselves.

Thought processes: valuing and considering importance, beliefs, and worth; interpreting situations and relationships and pickup meanings and interconnections to other contexts; reviewing and recalling past experiences and seeking detailed data; segmenting, organizing for efficiency, and systematizing.

Do either of these sound clearly like you?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

(I)ntroversion - 30/30 (Very Clear Preference) = you are definitely an introvert based on how you answered

I(N)tuition - 14/30 (Moderate) = you are pretty clearly an intuitive based on how you answered

(F)eeling - 12/30 (Moderate) = you are pretty clearly an intuitive based on how you answered

(P)erceiving - 1/30 (Very Slight) = based on how you answered its not clear whether you are J or P, but a wild guess would be that you are a P

also, its possible that what you answered doesent represent true you for multiple reasons
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

What's kinda funny is that^ (skylights' post) may be the single only time I have ever related more to an INFP description than an INFJ one. (And I'm too J for my own damn self.)

As for the op, it does sound more INFP to me. Regarding messes- I know I personally can handle a mess, so long as I know where the important things are at all times. If I remember correctly, this is something that's come up in threads before- with INFJs saying they tend to be super particular about a few things. I get really agitated if my keys aren't in the right place because it can take me hours to find them. My desk is often a mess- but I always put bills in the exact same place.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Very close J/P scores often but not always suggest the actual type of the test taker is P. This is due to the societal pressure of J behavior being more desirable, particularly in the workplace or in a school setting.

Have you taken a cognitive functions test?

I'd be interested to see how you score.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Infinite Bubble

The typing continuum: Experienced external analysis > Yourself > Test results. In other words, tests are generally the worst way to type yourself. Your own judgement is greater than it. That said, I read more Fe than Fi in your post, but I'm far from certain. I should just point out though that being messy or disorganized doesn't disqualify you from being a Judger.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    What's kinda funny is that^ (skylights' post) may be the single only time I have ever related more to an INFP description than an INFJ one. (And I'm too J for my own damn self.)

As for the op, it does sound more INFP to me. Regarding messes- I know I personally can handle a mess, so long as I know where the important things are at all times. If I remember correctly, this is something that's come up in threads before- with INFJs saying they tend to be super particular about a few things. I get really agitated if my keys aren't in the right place because it can take me hours to find them. My desk is often a mess- but I always put bills in the exact same place.
    I also read it and wondered if I'm INFP. My J/P axis has always been close testing as X the first time I took the test. I always thought my organizational abilities is what proved my "J-ness" and my penchant for abstract systems proof of Ni. I'm a *really* droopy chicky irl and am non-controlling to a fault in everything except one or two areas of deep pain and self-esteem issues. (I can feel jealous if my SO is drawn to another woman, even if I'm imagining it, but other than that it's pretty no control)
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post

That's curious, Z Buck. I've never ran across that with these before. So even with all the future-thinking emphasis in the INFJ blurb versus the emphasis on values and healing in the INFP blurb? Do you know exactly what it is that you identify with more in the INFP one and less in the INFJ one? I am so curious.

What you said about being very particular about a few certain things holds true for other IxFJs I know as well. Whereas most IxFPs I know are just kinda messy. :]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Read about Fe (preferably a description with plenty of clear examples), and then think back to your earliest childhood experiences with the function in adults. What did you feel and how strongly do you remember? What did you do?

Now you know if you lead with Fi.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I concur with the poster who said to take the cognitive functions test. Your uni may provide this test. However, I also know that the tests can be crap.

It's always been my opinion that the test shouldn't be taken multiple times. It's biased at this point because you can link what each question is asking to each letter. At this point, people start creating a checklist (Oh, I'm organized, therefore I'm J. I like going out to parties, therefore I'm E). Another poster brought in environmental factors, which I think is relevant, but complex to understanding what you are.

In any case, as for the functions

INFP = Fi - Ne - Si - Te

INFJ = Ni - Fe - Ti - Se

My experiences with Fi vs Fe (disclaimer: I could be absolutely wrong here and am basing this off of two people)

I dated an INFJ and an INFP on and off for a few years (err..not at the same time).

Ni - Fe strikes me as this:

The area around me is my world. I am connected to my world and the feelings and emotions within. These feelings and emotions affect me. Because I am connected to my world, I want to be proactive about the possibilities within this world. In a way, the Ni acts as a box for the Fe.

Fi - Ne strikes me as this:

I know my inner feelings and values. I want to expand these values to the outer world around me. In a way, the Fi is a box for the Ne. Fi is individual oriented and Ne is expanding possibilities. Thus, I want the people around me to explore the various opportunities of my value system.

It's always been hard for me to explain the differences between the two, though it's very obvious to me the differences, they are hard to verbalize. On one hand, the INFP was more in tune with his emotions, whilst the INFJ was more in tune with mine. The INFP was more emotional and reactionary, whilst the INFJ always needed lots of time to deal with his emotions and outbursts were rare (there were also plenty of warnings).

I can think of a few examples, but I'm not sure how helpful they would be.
    "Never think one can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." - Someone Brilliant